Outdoors
Sponsored by

USS Arizona is Outdoors

6,302 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Pooh Ah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And they are a good follow on Twitter

Ragoo
AG
The most somber place I have ever been. Taking the boat ride across and walking around the memorial. An hour and a half not one person spoke.
AgLA06
AG
Cool. I follow @realtimeWWII and @WWIIFacts.

Real time WWII tweets the highlights of the war each day as if it was currently happening. Starts before the war and goes beyond the end. Just started over fairly recently so a good time to start following.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Those of you that have been there may be able to explain, but one thing I've never understood about the Arizona is that given how close it was to land, how come more sailors didn't survive? I know many were killed by the bombardment but were all the ones killed that way or trapped below?
oragator
It was a weird feeling when I was there about 25 years ago, on the one hand there were a lot of Japanese there which just felt odd, and on the either hand what I presume was a survivor was brought out in his own small ferry with two military chaperones. I have thought over the years whether I should have tried to talk to him, thank him etc, but if he was a survivor the time was a million percent his to do as he liked, he didn't need me interrupting that.
Meantime you're watching the oil still bubbling up which makes it so real, with the names on the wall behind you.

Really really a unique experience.
CanyonAg77
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Those of you that have been there may be able to explain, but one thing I've never understood about the Arizona is that given how close it was to land, how come more sailors didn't survive? I know many were killed by the bombardment but were all the ones killed that way or trapped below?
You are aware that a Japanese bomb hit the Arizona's powder magazine? When the magazine went off, it was probably 10s of thousands of pounds of explosives going off at once. The explosion would have vaporized hundreds nearby, the concussion would have instantly killed hundreds more. The ship broke apart, so water rushed in an drowned many more.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

You are aware that a Japanese bomb hit the Arizona's powder magazine? When the magazine went off, it was probably 10s of thousands of pounds of explosives going off at once. The explosion would have vaporized hundreds nearby, the concussion would have instantly killed hundreds more. The ship broke apart, so water rushed in an drowned many more.

The explosion was so violent that the ship was literally raised out of the water before breaking in two.
CanyonAg77
AG
Gota De Limon said:

CanyonAg77 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

The explosion was so violent that the ship was literally raised out of the water before breaking in two.

If I'm doing my math right, that's a ship jumping out of the water that weighed as much as 740 loaded Semi trucks.
SunrayAg
AG
If you go to visit, there is a video presentation before they load you up on the boats to take you to the memorial. It has a brief video of the explosion and shows how sudden, large and violent it was.

When we were there 2 years ago alot of the tourists were Japanese, including some really old men who were probably veterans of the war. They all looked very sad the whole time they were there. We did get to meet an American survivor, but he was on the West Virginia during the attack.

It is also cool to go to the Missouri and see where the war ended, and how where the Missouri is parked her guns are watching over the Arizona.

DrEvazanPhD
I was there a few years and met one of the Arizona survivors. Super nice guy, and surprisingly bore no ill-will towards the Japanese. Also remember there being a ton of Japanese tourists. I have to admit, you come away from the displays and the exhibits regarding the attack with a burn in your belly for the Japanese. It was a damned cold blooded attack.
Aggieangler93
AG
When we were there, some late teen Japanese tourists were kind of cutting up on the boat ride over....it didn't take long until every round eye on the boat (myself included) were giving them the evil eye. They cut that crap out, and remained civil the rest of the time.

I have been through few things as moving to me, as this memorial. Tomb of the unknown soldier is one such place. 9/11 memorial would probably be for me, as well, since I was about 10 blocks North when that attack happened. That said, I hope I never find out. I don't have any desire to ever return to the apple core to find out.

I would return to the Arizona, if given the chance. I hope to take the kids there one day.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
mwm
Personal story...the bride & I married and went to Honolulu for the honeymoon.

On the morning of Dec.7, we were walking in the downtown area searching for breakfast. It was approaching 8 o'clock and everything around us went errily still. All traffic stopped and moved to the curb. People stopped talking to each other. It became almost deathly silent. Neither of us realized it was the anniversary of the day the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor.

After several moments, we understood why and the significance of the date and time. Then, after about 10 minutes, the city came to life once again. It was a very humbling experience.

That was over 40 years ago. I wonder if the people of Honolulu continue to stand still on that day and at that moment in time?

I wonder if the people of New York City recall September 11 in a similar manner? I don't know.
FTAG 2000
AG
Went with my folks and sister (Army colonel) when I was in college. It was just after I got my Aggie ring. They have volunteers there that are survivors who do some of the tours, talk and walks, etc.

Had a WWII vet come up and introduce himself to me. He recognized my Aggie ring, and when we shook hands I noticed his. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor from the West Virginia.

We got much more than the standard tour / talk from him. One of the most humbling days of my life sitting and talking with him. My folks and sister both talk about that day, it really drove home to them (particularly my sister) what a special bond us Aggies have.

91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

You are aware that a Japanese bomb hit the Arizona's powder magazine?

I wasn't aware of exactly how it happened. I may have skimmed details, but didn't look into it closely. Thanks for the info -- makes perfect sense now.
Cen-Tex
AG
These 2 images from the Arizona Memorial that were the most sobering to me. The clock from the USS Arizona chaplains desk, stopped at 8:04:35. #2 a drop of oil finding it's way to the surface. Pics are from my visit in 2012.

Build It
AG
Agreed very somber place. Did not enjoy the Japanese tourists much but I am very biased as my grandfather carried a bullet from them. I suppose we are to forgive but it's hard to do, especially there.

I had the same feeling at ground zero with many Muslim tourists. Not fair to them but hard to put your feelings aside.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Gota De Limon said:

CanyonAg77 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

If I'm doing my math right, that's a ship jumping out of the water that weighed as much as 740 loaded Semi trucks.

That's how powerful the explosion was.
Watch the waves crashing into the shore at the end of the video. Caused by the heaving/jumping of the Arizona after the explosion.
JR69
AG
Your experience with the Japanese tourists was exactly the opposite of mine.

I was in my late 20s at the time. My dad was a WW2 combat veteran. I was TDY to PACAF HQ in 1973 for a unit commander's orientation week and took our day off to go to the Arizona Memorial. Several Japanese tourists and families on the tour - mostly around my age - a little older, a little younger, some with kids. They were among the most disrespectful tourists I have ever encountered anywhere. They were loud, obnoxious, laughing the whole time. I had the same experience with Japanese tourists at a war memorial outside Taipei, Taiwan the following year.

Maybe a difference in the ages and generations, maybe a difference in the times.

A few years ago, on a trip to the Philippines, I took the two day Corregidor tour. Japanese tourists are put on separate tour buses with separate tour guides, have a schedule different from others so they don't have much chance to interact outside the ferry ride to and from Manila. The only observation I was able to make regarding the 20 or so Japanese on that tour is that they were very subdued.
AG
My uncle is entombed in the ARIZONA. Cut down at 18 years of age that fateful day.
WP69
AG
My FIL was an infant with his mom on the dock at Pearl seeing his dad off when the Japanese attacked. Even though less than one year old, he is technically a Pearl Harbor survivor.

He was a banker and ran NY hedge fund and once was entering a negotiation with a Japanese firm. The first thing the Japanese businessman said to him was "I forgive you for Hiroshima" attempting to gain an emotional advantage. FIL told him "I was at Pearl Harbor and I will never forgive you for that". Completely unnerved the Japanese businessman.
MW13
AG
1989 said:

My uncle is entombed in the ARIZONA. Cut down at 18 years of age that fateful day.

My great uncle is there with him as well. Dirt poor Texas farmboy.
BigHead 04
AG
That is bad ass.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pooh Ah
AG
ursusguy
AG
Posted last year, but my great uncle.

"We Texans die with our boots on"

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/74R/billtext/html/HC00179I.htm

TLDNR---Half drunk, wearing a tux and cowboy boots, got one of 2 bombers off the ground during the first attack. The next morning he lead the patrol that captured the only Japanese prisoner from Pearl Harbor, Kazuo Sakamaki. By the end of the war, he was credited with shooting down 8 planes and sinking 4 ships, including a large troop ship during the Battle of Midway. He was shot down twice, but lost no crew members.
Pooh Ah
AG

CanyonAg77
AG
IS your FIL still with us? He has the potential of eventually being the last living survivor.
Uncle Nasty
JR 69 we had the same experience about 10 years ago with the Japanese tourist. We were waiting to be ferried over to the Arizona and there was a group on tourist that I would guess to be in their 30's. They were whistling to imitate bombs falling and laughing.

Was very disappointing to see that as the memorial was really such a powerful and emotional thing for me...one that I wasn't prepared to experience.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Here is actual video of it....it's incredible anyone survived actually.

There are some cheesy graphics before trying to illustrate where it hit, but at about :14 is the actual explosion.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

From another angle....some other actual footage that day....explosion is at 1:55

Pooh Ah
AG

aggie67,74&76
AG
It was a very sobering and somewhat surreal experience for me when I visited. As you walk around the memorial you see the oil coming to the surface and realize there were over 1,100 souls entombed below.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

When I visited the first time in 1989 it happened to be on Memorial Day - we were on our honeymoon and had been married that Saturday arriving Sunday. That was amazing as there were still many vets alive and we met several there that day. they were gathered along the rail looking out over the harbor and would tell their stories of the day, where they were what they saw etc. We stayed there for 2 hours talking to vets after our tour was over.

Then we drive up to the Punch Bowl cemetery (National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific) where many from WWI WWII Vietnam etc. are buried and it was decorated for memorial day with flags everywhere and many families visiting. It also includes 70 unmarked graves Pearl Harbor victims that were never found including those on the Arizona. Very moving experience.

CT'97
AG

My grandfather was aboard the USS Helena, CL 50, that morning. She's shown here mid frame with the USS Pennsylvania, BB 38, burning in the background.
My grandfather awoke that morning to the sounds of alarms going off and confusion. He said he knew something was wrong because you didn't run drills in port on a Sunday morning. Shortly there after the Helena sustained a torpedo hit amid ships and as a Corpsman he went to work. He never talked about the war much but did mention that treating the burn victims was with him for the rest of his life.

I will forever be thankful I was able to know that man and call him grandpa.
CanyonAg77
AG
Google had no Doodle for Pearl Harbor Day. Bing.com, however:

policywonk98
AG
Not Pearl Harbor related exactly, but some of the accounts of seeing Japanese visiting Pearl Harbor made me think about this. I just finished the book Unbroken last weekend. Just one of those books that had been on my list for a long time and I finally got to it.

Anyway, it was weird how reading an account like that messes with your mind. After finishing I was walking around and seeing Japanese or Asian people around me and just had this crazy visceral reaction to their presence.

I read alot of books about all of our wars back in the day and I've read several from Iraq etc. But it was good to jump back into an account from WW2, it had been way to long. Always good to have a reminder of the sacrifices and heroism of our military in the 1940s. Especially on a week like this one. This time of year it can be easy to forget Pearl Harbor.

For those of you on here that have served, thank you for putting your life on the line for us. For those that have lost a loved one at war, I'm sorry for your loss. Blessings to you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.