Outdoors
Sponsored by

looking for jackrabbits and bunnies

11,961 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ursusguy
Cuda67bnl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

I think the bacteria to which you are referring is actually Bartonella
Yes, you're correct.

Quote:

I wish you all the best around Angelo/Midland. But seriously, if something goes south and you want some info on New Mexico I'm happy to help. We saw a metric s**t-ton of rabbits, mostly jacks on the state trust land around Eunice and Hobbs last week. It's about 1:15 past Midland to Eunice, NM. I'm sure you could do just as well down south around Jal.
Hobbs is where we're headed. Someone on the other forum mentioned seeing lots of jacks on state land there. Any info you can give about the area would be appreciated. I just downloaded the onxmaps app so we'll be able to tell what is state owned, blm, etc.
Cuda67bnl
10 more days til we're headed west! Can't wait to chase some jacks!!
ellebee
Awesome!
Mateo84
AG
Awesome thread
Cuda67bnl
I'm itching to load up and head west........ Got about 4 more days before starting the long drive.
Sean98
AG
Cuda, I'm sorry, I just saw your post from the 11th. In my estimation you won't have any trouble finding rabbits in the Hobbs area. I will say that right around Hobbs it was a little grassier than it was slightly further south around Eunice. Lots of BLM/State Trust Land in both places. The jacks really liked the slightly more "open" country.

Right at the intersection of Hwy 234/Hwy 18 (on the east edge of Eunice) there is State Trust land south of 234 both east & west of 18. We saw good numbers of rabbits in those patches, and a fair amount of pigeons from a neighboring feed lot too in case you find a falcon en route from Georgia.

If you have OnX that probably does all you need/want it to, but I would look at the New Mexico Fish & Game website and study their "CarryMap" information. You can download the CarryMap app to your phone, load in the Southeast New Mexico quadrant and it'll provide you with all the BLM/State Trust, etc. maps. Further, it'll use your phone's GPS to show you where you are on the properties. it's easier to zoom/pan than my Garmin with OnX was in my opinion. It works even if you don't have cell signal, so that's not an issue.
Cuda67bnl
Thanks for the tip on location, Sean.

I downloaded the carrymap ap and blm map a few days ago. Been studying it a bit, as well as onx. I also plan to stop by the blm office in Hobbs and grab a paper map as well.

I'm not looking forward to the long drive out there, but I can't wait for the action once we make it there.
Cuda67bnl
Need to give a big shout out to our host in Texas this morning, Will. We didn't have a lot of luck, but it wasn't for lack of effort on Will's part. Thanks, Will!

We rolled into Hobbs, New Mexico, with about 45 minutes of light left today. Stopped at a random piece of state land, and flushed about 10 jacks and bunnies, with just one put in the bag. Looking forward to the next couple of days if the wind cooperates.
k00bz
AG
Naveronski
AG
Not sure how I missed this thread. This is awesome.
thepriceisright24
AG
If you're going to be hunting near Pecos any day while you're here I would love to come watch
Cuda67bnl
The winds hurt us today, and the birds weren't cooperating. Flushed jacks all day, but only managed to catch one with the Redtail. Couldn't catch a cold with the Harris Hawks. Looks like the wind is gonna screw us for the rest of the trip, and we're gonna have a three day stretch of brutal cold temps. Tons of jacks here though.
JoeCephas1974
Was a falconer's apprentice in the late 80's as a kid. Probably the most beautiful sport on Earth but it's a 364 and a half day per year commitment. Awesome thread and has rekindled the spark! The real Sport of Kings!
Sean98
AG
JoeCephas1974 said:

Was a falconer's apprentice in the late 80's as a kid. Probably the most beautiful sport on Earth but it's a 364 and a half day per year commitment. Awesome thread and has rekindled the spark! The real Sport of Kings!
What do you do with your 1/2 day off each year? (1.5 days in a leap year of course...)
AgEng06
AG
Was wondering the same myself...
jobu93
AG
This thread is bad ass.
JoeCephas1974
Sean98 said:

JoeCephas1974 said:

What do you do with your 1/2 day off each year? (1.5 days in a leap year of course...)
Exactly why I never went past apprentice... I liked to fish too much!
Cuda67bnl
No luck this morning, despite finding a bunch of critters. Pulled it all together finally, late this afternoon, and put 3 bunnies and a jack in the bag. Calling for frigid temps and stupid high winds the next few days, so we're gonna head 2 hours away and go up towards Roswell where it should be just a little more bearable. The terrain will be different too, so looking forward to experiencing another part of the country I've never seen. We have flushed so many jacks the last couple of days, it's rediculous. We just haven't been able to have everything come together. It's a learning curve every time I've ever came west to hunt them. It's so much different from how we hunt at home. This afternoon we focused on bunnies and had a blast with all the chases. Hoping to get the birds a bit more dialed in, and catch a bunch more before we have to head back home.
ellebee
I have a pet rabbit we can put it the yard and test out.

Oh and hopefully your hawks don't get intercepted by UFOs.
Sean98
AG
Glad you found the rodents. Sorry about the weather.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Badace52
AG
Sean98 said:

Glad you found the rodents. Sorry about the weather.
Lagomorphs Sean, not rodents... you are better than this.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sean98
ursusguy
AG
Nice catch.

Awesome thread

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.