Outdoors
Sponsored by

looking for jackrabbits and bunnies

11,941 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ursusguy
Cuda67bnl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hi all. I found this forum by chance, while searching online about hunting rabbits in Texas. My name is Jimmy, and I live near Atlanta, Ga. I'm a falconer, and use trained hawks to hunt small game. I'm planning a trip to west Texas in a couple of weeks in hopes of hunting jackrabbits with my birds. Right now I'm looking at areas near Odessa, Midland, Crane, and San Angelo. I'm open for other areas of the state as well. I've hunted in Lubboch and Amarillo in the past. I'm looking at places around Midland because I've heard there are rediculous numbers of jacks/bunnies in that area.
I know this is a long shot, but I was wondering if there is anyone here who owns property with a rabbit problem, or just an abundance of rabbits. Or, if you know someone that does. To be point blank about it, I'm looking for places to hunt. I'm a responsible hunter that respects people's property. There will be NO firearms involved. We simply walk around with a hawk and try to kick up rabbits, and let the birds chase and catch them. If you have serious rabbit problems, we're not gonna put a dent in them. But we certainly try to catch what we can.
If you've never had the chance to experience falconry, and you own land or have access to some, I would love the opportunity to show you what rabbit hawking is about. I'm currently flying a female Redtail Hawk, and I have 3 female Harris' Hawks that fly in a group. I will most likely have a friend with me as well, and they will also have a Redtail.
If you, or anyone you know, wouldn't mind a couple of out of towners walking around and chasing rabbits on your property, please let me know. I hope to be out that way in a couple of weeks, and will likely stay a week. As I said, I'm responsible, always respect other's properties, and there will be no firearms.
Thanks.
Jimmy
-Ga.
Wizard
Thread has potential
Chazz03
AG
You're gonna need more birds.
raidernarizona
Sorry I can't help. Wish I could because this sounds awesome, but two comments:

Quote:

Midland because I've heard there are rediculous numbers of jacks/bunnies in that area.

There are lots of prairie dogs in that area too, are they huntable?

Quote:

I'm currently flying a female Redtail Hawk

This just sounds badass!
BlueSmoke
Coyotes have put a dent in our rabbit population (not too far from San Angelo). I can tell you where there are a metric crap-ton of rabbits, all the manicured subdivisions in N. Dallas. They are everywhere.

And they don't give a ****. Little turds just hang out without a care in the world.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
ATX_AG_08
AG
There is definitely an abundance of rabbits in the area you're looking. There was a thread on here some while ago with pics from a multiple day rabbit hunting tournament and teams had whole truck beds and trailers overflowing with them. Good luck in your search. If I had land up there I would most certainly let yall come out just for the show. I sent this to a friend who has a big place just north of San Angelo. I'll get you contact info if it pans out. Either way, somebody put this guy on rabbits and I look forward to pics!
DallasAggies01
AG
I grew up hunting jack rabbits between Odessa and Crane. There were plenty to be had on any given night. Unfortunately I don't have any help on a place to hunt anymore.
aggielostinETX
AG
You only get 5 posts a day so use them sparingly.
I hunted a place in Menard that has two grass airstrips.
We sat at the end of one and quit counting at 200 rabbits on a fall day.
Good luck and post pics.
The Wonderer
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

There is definitely an abundance of rabbits in the area you're looking. There was a thread on here some while ago with pics from a multiple day rabbit hunting tournament and teams had whole truck beds and trailers overflowing with them. Good luck in your search. If I had land up there I would most certainly let yall come out just for the show. I sent this to a friend who has a big place just north of San Angelo. I'll get you contact info if it pans out. Either way, somebody put this guy on rabbits and I look forward to pics!
16,000 rabbits in just 18 hours.

Holy *****
Ark03
AG
The Wonderer said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

16,000 rabbits in just 18 hours.

Holy *****

Here's the thread: https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2744905
stridulent
AG
Hawks are to helicopters as rabbits are to hogs.
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Excuse me!!!

eric76
AG
raidernarizona said:

Quote:

Midland because I've heard there are rediculous numbers of jacks/bunnies in that area.

There are lots of prairie dogs in that area too, are they huntable?

I was wondering the same thing. In one pasture we used to farm in Oslo, now owned by a neighbor, there has been a really bad prairie dog problem. I haven't driven by it in maybe 5 years but I could drive by it and see what it looks like now and check with the neighbor who owns it. I bet he wouldn't mind.
Cancelled
AG
We hunt rabbits in south Texas.
JD05AG
AG
I bet I could line you up with some folks. I want to come watch though! What time of year would you be looking at?
Kenneth_2003
AG
I just scrapped over 400lbs of wire (coax about the diameter of christmas lights) that has been chewed and destroyed by rabbits outside of Toyah, TX. I can assure you... You're going to need more birds.
ratfacemcdougal
Just to save OP some posts....and because it would be cool to watch....this is from the OP

"I'm planning a trip to west Texas in a couple of weeks..."
Chazz03
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

I just scrapped over 400lbs of wire (coax about the diameter of christmas lights) that has been chewed and destroyed by rabbits outside of Toyah, TX. I can assure you... You're going to need more birds.

Probably more field mice than rabbit
Kenneth_2003
AG
Saw plenty of cottontail and jackrabbits by the truckload. Never saw mice... Not saying they weren't there, but primary suspect was the rabbits. Cabling was usually cut in one clean bite. Larger coax showed pretty good size teeth marks that stopped at the shielding.

Funny, they steered clear of the high voltage stuff we had on the ground.
JD05AG
AG
Sounds like packrats
hurleyag
AG
I saw quite of few Jackrabbits on our place in Coleman over Thanksgiving. We'll be back out there over Christmas.
eric76
AG
Dogs will sometimes chew through cables, too.
Chazz03
AG
JD05AG said:

Sounds like packrats

This is what I meant
BlueSmoke
Don't hawks, when they tag a bunny start with the head first? Heard that.

So we had some sanctimonious couple from the NE go on the neighborhood FB site titting and moaning about someone throwing a headless rabbit into their backyard. I think I have an alternate theory...
Nobody cares. Work Harder
eric76
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Don't hawks, when they tag a bunny start with the head first? Heard that.

So we had some sanctimonious couple from the NE go on the neighborhood FB site titting and moaning about someone throwing a headless rabbit into their backyard. I think I have an alternate theory...
I think that one of the first things they do is try to poke through the head into the brain to kill the animal.
plowboy1065
S
I have family in the Pecos area that can find you plenty of property to hunt on
C4D
AG
Public land anywhere west of austin? Not sure the legalities of ur particular style. But bunnies are thick
Swarely
I would very much like to go drink beer and watch your birds work.
Cuda67bnl
Okay, first, thanks for the heads-up Deats, concerning the 5 post limit. I'll try to cram as much as I can into this post.

Raidernarizona, We tried hawking prairie dogs in Amarillo back in '08. They hit their holes long before the birds even get close to em. Didn't take long to figure out they weren't worth the effort, and we weren't gonna catch any.

Blue smoke, I'm sure there are tons of rabbits in the subdivisions, but those aren't good places to hunt em, lol. People don't take too kindly to tromping through their yards trying to kill the cute little furry bunnies. Plus, ya can't always control where the birds want to go, and they'll end up in someone's back yard on their toy poodle or something like that, lol.

Atx_ag_08, the rabbit round up thread is what I stumbled across and made me join this forum. If your friend in San Angelo doesn't mind, I'd love the chance to meet them and hunt.

Jd05ag, you would be more than welcome to watch! And help! Lol.

Guys, let me be perfectly clear about something. Everyone would be more than welcome. There is no way I would ever tell someone they couldn't watch/help after they were generous and kind enough to allow us to hunt. I was raised way better than that! It's a ton of fun to watch the birds do their thing. Most people enjoy it if they've never seen it. Some folks don't seem to care, but most find it interesting. At least for a little bit.

Kenneth_2003, sounds like you need some thinning done around your place........lol

Bluesmoke, where the bird starts to break in, depends a lot on the individual bird. Rabbits are so thin skinned, the bird can break in just about anywhere. In my experience, most will break in in the chest area or under a front leg. With our hunting birds, we usually don't allow them to do so most of the time. When they make a catch, we'll make in on them and dispatch the prey. Then we'll typically trade the bird off of the catch with a small meal, and continue hunting if our goal is to catch another.

Eric76, the birds usually kill by squeezing and often suffocating the prey. They have 8 talons to hold them with, and will put a death grip on whatever they catch. They also don't care if the prey is dead or not. They will attempt to eat, wether the prey is dead or not. That's how nature is. Often cruel....... As the falconer, it's my job to quickly dispatch the catch to prevent any unnecessary suffering.

Plowboy1065, is that an offer?

C4d, as far as legalities, all I would need is a non resident hunting license. And that will be covered before I make the trip. From what I know, Texas has no closed season on rabbits, and no limits.

Where I live in Georgia, we mainly hawk squirrels. Rabbits are scarce where I live. Almost like hen's teeth. In the spots where you can find rabbits, you need dogs to find em and get em moving. It's nothing like it is where you guys are at. The last time I went west for jacks/bunnies, we caught more the first day than I had seen the two years prior here.

I'm trying to get my Harris' Hawks going now. I haven't flown them in about 3 years, and they're being a bit stubborn with me. How quickly I can get them going will dictate when I make the trip to Texas. I definitely want to make it out there during December. Hopefully in about 2 weeks. I just started flying my redtail hawk again for this season last week. I've had her out a few times, and she's caught a handful of squirrels do far. We went out this afternoon and she bagged 2. I would post some pics, but I'm not sure how to. I'm guessing they need to be hosted off site?
drummer0415
AG
This sounds so cool. I'm not anywhere near those areas but if I was, I would definitely go out and watch this. Good luck on your trip OP.
C4D
AG
Ya u can kill rabbits till the cows come home. Talking about ur bird. I can see there not being any rules behind killing bunnies with raptors. But things tend to change on public land.

But seriously, there is a ton of public land access in texas. And any public land you can access will have enough rabbits to hunt all day. Just gotta get a public land permit.
Cuda67bnl
C4D said:

Ya u can kill rabbits till the cows come home. Talking about ur bird. I can see there not being any rules behind killing bunnies with raptors. But things tend to change on public land.
Falconers have to abide by the same laws and regulations as any other type of hunter, with a few exceptions here and there. We don't get special treatment because we're using a raptor. If there's a season and/or bag limit on the species we're persuing, we have to follow it just as we would if we were gun hunting that species.

I've been doing a little bit of research on public lands. I'm sure they hold rabbits. Seems to be a lot more jacks on private lands and farms though.
Kenneth_2003
AG
explain that to our clients! We'd get better data if i could have an OB rabbit roundup a week before we rig up!
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I am the guy that started the rabbit hunting contest thread.

We have some farms east of San Angelo and some pasture land in Vancourt that you can come hunt as long as I get to watch. We don't have near as many rabbits as Glasscock, Midland and Upton counties do, but we can get your birds on plenty.

contact me by email if you would like to set something up.

trillbill979@gmail.com
91AggieLawyer
AG
Can you put a GoPro on a Falcon?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.