Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anybody here have gout?

6,516 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fishin Texas Aggie 05
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On a uric acid level of 0-10, I'm a 10.1

I've had a flare up since the beginning of October. I'm back on a flare up med then after that I'm going on a preventive med for a while. Dr said I can have very little red meat (deer counts as red meat) some chicken and lots of fruit and baked or grilled fish. Also need to loose some weight. Doctor said to cut out beer, which I did a few years ago, so I just mix whiskey and water on the rocks. So the bottom line is to cut protein and cut carbs.

Who else has gout and what kind of diet are you on.
Scruffy
AG
I have (had) gout.

Drove my Doc nuts that I could drink copious amounts of beer with no problem.
I finally found the cause of my issues was the Peruvian food truck. Once I stopped eating there I stopped having any problems.
Red meat, beer, fats, no issues. Haven't taken the meds in over a year now.

My doctor once said his BIL had a flare-up afgter eating popeyes one day.
Triggers for one person may not be the same for another.

I suggest doing what the doc says for now and cut out all alcohol, drink plenty of water, cut out red and fatty meat, eat fruits and veg, and get everything back to normal ranges.
Once you do that, start to experiment with what you can have. One item at a time.
If you start to feel a flare-up you know what not to eat/drink.

I know the pain.Good luck to you.
AggieChemist
AG
Allopurinol is a life saver.
jetch17
AG
pick some of this up at the Vitamin Shoppe ... its all natural and is effective at driving down uric levels.

Old Town Ag
AG
AggieChemist said:

Allopurinol is a life saver.
2nd. No issues since I began taking Allopurinol.
helloag99
My brother and Dad are on Allopurinol. I get a few flare ups a year.

For me, sugar causes it. I have found no correlation to red meat at all. My Dr say that red meat does not cause it either.

I used to predict my flares ups to coincide with Halloween and Easter when the kids had a ton of candy around. Now I just stay away from sugar as much as possible. Very little candy. Dr Pepper 10 and Coke 0.
aggielostinETX
AG
1. Find your trigger.
2. Try to get a little bit healthier.
3. When you first feel the slightest ache, nail it with a megadose of Aleve.

I had my first flare up in college in 2002. I wasn't going on daily meds for the rest of my life.

good luck, it sux.
BCOBQ98
AG
Came down with it earlier this year at 42

Lose weight, 15 lbs has helped me
Get your blood pressure checked, mine was high
Curt down on booze, only weekends, and none if you are flaring
Cut down on meat, for me it to about quantity vs frequency, when I was flaring I ate almost no meat
If I feel my big toe hurting I take one indomethacine, which is like once a month

This is what is working for me at the moment. I wasn't going to get on daily medication for it unless absolutely necessary which hasn't happened yet.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I'm 34 and my blood pressure has been consistent at low 120's over low 80's

Only drink on the weekend and it's usually just one or 2 if any

I'm 275 so my BWI says I need to loose about 80pounds. I'll be happy to loose 20.

Wierd thing for me is it's not my big toe. It's where my 3 middle toes meet my foot.
WP69
AG
Allopurinol pretty much ended my attacks. I'll occasionally get that early on feeling of an attack and take two colchicine and another two hours or so later. Gout symptoms are gone by the time I get the guaranteed colchicine symptom of diarrhea.

Indomethacine (scrip only) worked really well killing the pain, but it's sort of an uber NSAID and you should be careful in its use.
Scruffy
AG
Mine was second and middle toes on the right foot.
TXAG 05
AG
Had a bad flare up a couple years ago. It gets me at the ankle. It had been a little stiff, thought I had twisted it or something, then all of a sudden, just exploded with pain. Most pain I've ever been in, couldn't walk, even laying in bed was awful. They gave me Tylenol with codeine and all that did was take the edge off. Thankfully it's never been like that again. I'll feel a little twinge every couple of months or so and I'll drop some Advil and it goes away.

Never figured out what the trigger was. Definitely not alcohol or red meat because I can through the whole month of Cookoff and Rodeo without any problems, and that is eating like rap and drinking gallons of beer every day, so who knows?
wai3gotgoats
AG
I have used apple cider vinegar, with the mother, to clear up onsets of gout. Take a swig right out of the bottle morning and evening when I start feeling that familiar tenderness in a big toe.
TXNative
I am 53, approximately 235 when I should be 195 and for the past 20+ years eating low-carb so by default high protein and mostly red meat. I don't drink much being low-carb but have a beer or mixed drink once in a while.

The first and worst case was about six or seven years ago, a feather touching my big toe joint was excruciating and I wanted it amputated...it was BAD and I though I had broke my toe in my sleep seeing the redness and swelling. Read a lot, listened to the doctor's recommendation that would eliminate almost everything good to eat or drink but survived with OTC pain meds and no change in diet. That episode took months to get over it and the swelling to subside.

I have had it 3-5 times in the last few years and tried various recommendations including pure black cherry juice at the first sign of a flare up, drank a quart and the gout didn't subside but I found an excellent stool softener that tastes good.

Of course this is only my perspective but considering it's a build up of uric acid and signs of gout seemed to happen after a kidney began to ache, and I have been stoned a few times as well, I thought it may be triggered by dehydration. So now, at the first sign of a kidney ache or pain in my knees, ankles or toes, I drink like a fish, water not black cherry juice.

Good luck, the pain is right up there with being stoned and natural childbirth according to women.

magnumtmp
AG
TXNative said:

Good luck, the pain is right up there with being stoned and natural childbirth according to women.

That's odd. My experience has been the opposite of that.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I think you are doing it wrong.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Quote:

Good luck, the pain is right up there with being stoned

I have to many expensive habits as it is. If this what the marijuanas do to you then I'm glad I never tried them.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
I thought it was called "the gout," no?

And, no I don't.
BCO07
AG
Just looked over the evidence earlier this week.

The number one cause if having the fats. If you work on that you'll help yourself a lot.
As far as booze goes, its really just beer. Wine and spirits raise the risk a little, but not a ton
Allopurinol is great for when its indicated. Lots of people don't need it long term, go with your docs recommendations for your specific case.

Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Man I hope so

I have 12 doe tags to use as well as any spikes/big deer
malenurse
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

I thought it was called "the gout," no?

And, no I don't.
I can't tell the number of times I have brought a patient back to an exam room, and, when asked the reason for their visit, they say "I've got the goutch"!
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Username checks out
George08
AG
Allipurinol
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I stopped the colchrisine on dec1 and started the allipurinol. That wasn't helping so I got these.

Senator Blutarski
AG
No one has mentioned shellfish yet. For me, dehydration, alcohol, and shellfish = an attack right in the middle of my foot. But, started allopurinol several years ago, and nothing since then.

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but started sleeping with thick socks on. Your feet have to get cold when your Uric acid is high for the crystals to develop, that's why flare ups usually happen while you are sleeping (at least for me).
TX scallywAG
AG
"A man in the UK has invented the "dausage" which is half-donut and half-sausage. He also invented something called "dout" which is half-diabetes, half-gout."
- Conan
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
TresPuertas
AG
At 36 I had my first and only experience with it after spending a week in Florida eating nothing but oysters and drinking like a hobo.

Came home and it hit like a hammer. Went to the doctor, got the prescriptions and the symptoms and pain started subsiding after about 24 hours.

The best part about it is that it spurned a lifestyle change and made me start being a lot more cognasent of what I put in my body and I no longer treat myself like a dumpster. Also, I'm now less LoLFat
Tursiops93
AG
Every case is different and not everyone has a specific "trigger". For some it's alcohol, some it's weight, some red meat, shellfish, etc... and some will have attacks no matter what. Uric Acid is a natural by-product of our body metabolism and some people over-produce UA and some people under-secrete UA through the kidneys.

Allopurinol is very effective for most and is a long-term maintenance med that needs to be taken everyday to keep UA levels lower. For some, like me, allopurinol works ok but still have occasional attacks. Dosing usually starts at 100mg per day and can be increased up to 300 mg per day.

I switched to Uloric which is a newer and more expensive med, but I have not had an attack since I have been on it (2+ years now).

When I feel the initial burn/pain of an attack, I will take Indomethocin for a couple of days and that almost always prevents a full attack. Colchicine is the other med to treat an attack ,but it is harsh (a natural toxin).

Cancelled
AG
I got a bad case of da gout!
jgh85Ag
AG
I take 80mg of Uloric. My uric acid stays well below 5 now and trigger drinks like red wine no longer bother me.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Signel
AG
For me it flares when I go from low carb to binge eating carbs for a day. Now that I am down a substantial portion of my old weight, it doesn't hit near as hard. I suppose it is easier for the body to filter the uric acid out now that I am not orca fat.

I take the smallest indomethacin dose, and you can actually feel the gout pain fade away in 30ish minutes. The problem with indomethacin is that it makes me feel loopy.

AggieChemist
AG
Signel said:

For me it flares when I go from low carb to binge eating carbs for a day. Now that I am down a substantial portion of my old weight, it doesn't hit near as hard. I suppose it is easier for the body to filter the uric acid out now that I am not orca fat.

I take the smallest indomethacin dose, and you can actually feel the gout pain fade away in 30ish minutes. The problem with indomethacin is that it makes me feel loopy.

Indomethacin is a great rescue drug. And yes, it will hit you like a ton of bricks. I used to take two for a rescue dose. Sometimes it was hard staying awake enough to enjoy the buzz.
Tailgate88
AG
I prefer not to take another daily med so I just pop an Indomethacin every 8 hours when I get a flare up.
Shane431
AG
Rich man's disease. Too many rich damn Aggies!
nillbors likensoaxe
AG
Look up using Naproxen Sodium. You start with a pretty high dose and slowly taper. A business partner told me about it because he has occasional flare ups. I have told two other folks about it. They both said it was a miracle cure.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.