Outdoors
Sponsored by

Paging Caladan...

1,394 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
AgLawman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need a new pair of binos...the best you can recommend for $1,000.00.

Whitetail hunting in South Texas.

What say you?
plowboy1065
Cannon Crew Ag
AG
I'm certain Caladan's list is going to have Zeiss Conquest HD's with Vortex Razors right there as well. Both great bino's, but I'm partial to the conquests
RanchAg
AG
Go to page two of this forum. Not sure how to link to the topic, but I asked the same question about one week ago and he responded with an update to an existing thread.
Caladan
Cannon Crew Ag said:

I'm certain Caladan's list is going to have Zeiss Conquest HD's with Vortex Razors right there as well. Both great bino's, but I'm partial to the conquests
And you would be right.

The good news is that if considering 8x42 or 10x42, there are no bad choices in your price range. Besides the Conquest HD (be aware that there is an earlier Conquest without the HD) and Razor, also consider the Leica Trinovid HD, Meopta Meostar, and Nikon Monarch HG. None really stands out above the rest, so make your choice based on things such as weight, eye relief, physical appearance, etc. Some comments on each, based on 42mm models:

Vortex Razor: really like it's weight/handling, and the texture of it's rubber armor. Unfortunately it is usually priced higher than the rest, so if one were to use just normal retail as a deciding factor, then I would stay away from this one. However, since a new version is coming out, I have seen a few prices at the $999 level, which is where it should have been in the first place. Personally, I think that it should be priced around $899, which is where one can occasionally find the MHG and the Conquest HD.

Zeiss Conquest HD: Handles nicely, but still prefer the Razor in this regard. Color rendition is a bit cool, but will suit most people. Does everything well, and should be on anyone's list to investigate. Only thing I don't like about them is the really lousy objective caps.

Meopta Meostar/Cabela's Euro: excellent build quality, but too heavy than it needs to be. Also has a slight yellowish color cast that admittedly most others would not even notice. Every single Meostar I've ever used has had a focus wheel that took more effort to turn than is necessary.

Nikon MHG: Also does everything well. Color rendition a bit warmer than the Zeiss. Really like it's light weight and very good focus wheel. I would prefer a bit more "grip" to it's rubber exterior, but my wife likes it. She has the 10x42, and considering that she preferred it over a Leica Trinovid, that is saying something. Can often be found for $899, and even less on ebay.

Leica Trinovid HD: Not tried one yet, but the previous-generation Trinovid is an excellent bino. Based on that, I would say that anyone should also have this one on the possibles list. Leicas always feel very solid in the hand, and I'm confident that this one does as well.

Lastly, also consider the Tract Toric too. It performs as well as the ~$1k binos, but costs around $665 (and less when on sale). They are a rather boring battleship grey color, but that is probably not a big deal for most. Consider ordering one and trying it out. Chances are you will perfectly happy......
Watchful Ag
AG
I just had my brother in-law ask if there's a good set of binos for around $200. He mainly hunts a large pipeline from a boxblind.

I know your specialty is typically in the higher end range, but please let me know if there's a brand or two you'd recommend.
BCStalk
I have a set of Vortex Crossfires that are not bad for the price. It was between them and a set of Nikons. Vortex just has a better warranty.
Caladan
Watchful Ag said:

I just had my brother in-law ask if there's a good set of binos for around $200. He mainly hunts a large pipeline from a boxblind.

I know your specialty is typically in the higher end range, but please let me know if there's a brand or two you'd recommend.
If he doesn't mind messing w/a rebate - bhphotovideo has the Vanguard Endeavor ED for $249.99. There is a $100 rebate until the end of the year, making the end price $149.99 (or thereabouts.....). When the $149.99 price is considered, it is one of the best buys in your price range.

If he does not want to mess w/a rebate, then I would go with either a Nikon Prostaff, Kowa SV, or Vortex Diamondback.
Watchful Ag
AG
Thanks!
AgLawman
AG
Thanks, Caladan!!!!
Sean98
AG
Bumping this thread because the OP asked for quality glass for $1000.

Camofire has Alden Rainier 10x42 EDHDs for $999

Figured I'd put it up here to see what Caladan thought. MSRP of $2000+.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.