Outdoors
Sponsored by

So I walked into an archery shop

2,858 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by normaleagle05
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And said I want to get back into hunting big game. I think Texas leases are ridiculous and public opportunities within ~3 hours of DFW are excellent (especially if you consider Oklahoma) IF YOU HUNT WITH A BOW. So that is what i want to do.

I got a rough education in modern compounds and shot a couple (Mathews Z3 and Obsession M6Z or M7Z).

Couple thoughts.
1. T&P's to my checkbook.
2. That's some muscles I haven't been using at my desk job.
2. It's a good thing I research **** for a living, I think.
3. It's an even better thing that I have this place as a sounding board.
4. I need to go to the gym.
5. I need to go to the gym.
6. Sixth thing here.

I want to hunt deer, hogs, and turkey. And maybe expand from there to bear and elk.

In the early '90's I was given a Jennings Black Lightning (I'm an '82 model). I set up and shot that bow a little in the couple years after I got it. Its been sitting since, some years in an attic. Archery shop down the road thinks it's probably a shooter (they'll see and review it tomorrow). That may be an option to train and develop muscle memory and strength while researching a modern setup. It also may be a platform for experimenting with accessories.

I'll come back with specific questions but I'm interested in general guidance on buying a bow in 2017-2018. I know I need to shoot a bunch. Will do. Any good recommendations on where to do so close-ish to Garland?

What do you like for a bow platform and why? I'm interested in why you prefer a particular feature concept over another from bow to bow. And why.

(I Googled and read dozens of OB archery threads in the last week, going back ~10 years. Seems it's a moving target and deserves revisiting.)
Woods Ag
AG
New to Archery, but I've been in a bow shop about everyday for the last 3 weeks and researched quite a bit. From everything that I hear, buy a Hoyt or a Matthews. It seems Matthews users are all ex-Hoyt users that talk nonstop **** about Hoyt like it was an ex who screwed them over.

That Matthews z7 is sweet, and you could have it ready to hunt for somewhere around $900 before arrows. I'm a fan of that Matthews Halon if you have a little more money to spend. Or you could go Cam Hanes and get the Hoyt Carbon Defiant. Fall-away rest over a whisker biscuit. After that i think it's more preference. If your sitting in a stand probably want a sight with pins. If you're spot and stalking, probably a single pin sight with adjustable range.

I went with a Hoyt Maxxis 31 off of eBay to keep the price down and get familiar. The bow shop didn't like that because it wasn't coming from them, but they got it all tuned up for me.

As far as working out. I'm not sure there's much you can do to work those muscles. Being fit may only help you shoot more arrows before tiring. I workout 6 days a week, pretty intensely. I thought for sure I'd be like Cam Hands pulling 80lbs, no problem.. maybe I'd settle for 70lbs because why the hell do i need to pull 80 except to brag. I went to get a lesson and the first time I pulled 60 I was shaking like a petrified little girl. She had to adjust it down to 50 for me. I'm back to 60 and it feels pretty easy now, but what I'm saying is I think shooting that bow is the only thing that's going to make it any easier.. being in shape is always a good thing though

Hunt Public Land! I'm headed into the bushes now.
Micropterus
AG
Go to your local bow shop and shoot several bows to see which one fits you well. IMO, if you find a bow that fits you, you will really enjoy shooting it, & the better you'll be with it. Any ol bow will work, but when you find the right one, you'll know it. Cant stress enough the importance of finding a good bow shop that will help get it dialed in just for you, i.e. knocking point, draw length, mounting the rest properly, tying in the peep at correct spot, etc. You can do all these things yourself, but its worth the time to let the pros help with this, esp if buying a new one. Plus you can shoot at their range, and make any tweaks and adjustments while there.
I don't know anything about that particular Jennings, but you'll find today's technology is going to be worth the extra $$. Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech, Elite all good brands. Find the one that matches you and your budget.
txagbear
Ive bow hunted for 35 years. had many bows and killed over 100 different animals easily. I now have a Bowtech and it is the easiest bow I have shot. Just my opinion. If you can find a used Destroyer 340 or 350, buy it.
texags08
AG
Woods Ag said:

New to Archery, but I've been in a bow shop about everyday for the last 3 weeks and researched quite a bit. From everything that I hear, buy a Hoyt or a Matthews. It seems Matthews users are all ex-Hoyt users that talk nonstop **** about Hoyt like it was an ex who screwed them over.

That Matthews z7 is sweet, and you could have it ready to hunt for somewhere around $900 before arrows. I'm a fan of that Matthews Halon if you have a little more money to spend. Or you could go Cam Hanes and get the Hoyt Carbon Defiant. Fall-away rest over a whisker biscuit. After that i think it's more preference. If your sitting in a stand probably want a sight with pins. If you're spot and stalking, probably a single pin sight with adjustable range.

I went with a Hoyt Maxxis 31 off of eBay to keep the price down and get familiar. The bow shop didn't like that because it wasn't coming from them, but they got it all tuned up for me.

As far as working out. I'm not sure there's much you can do to work those muscles. Being fit may only help you shoot more arrows before tiring. I workout 6 days a week, pretty intensely. I thought for sure I'd be like Cam Hands pulling 80lbs, no problem.. maybe I'd settle for 70lbs because why the hell do i need to pull 80 except to brag. I went to get a lesson and the first time I pulled 60 I was shaking like a petrified little girl. She had to adjust it down to 50 for me. I'm back to 60 and it feels pretty easy now, but what I'm saying is I think shooting that bow is the only thing that's going to make it any easier.. being in shape is always a good thing though

Hunt Public Land! I'm headed into the bushes now.

Sounds like you spend too much time working the glamor muscles in the gym.
jpb1999
AG
I also recently bought a bow after a Shiite ton of research. if money was no object I would have bought a Hoyt carbon defiant, but the bowtech BTX was right behind it. I found an EXCELLENT deal on a new BTX so that is what I got. If not for the good deal, I would have bought the bow tech carbon icon, as it was the smoothest draw for me... but the BTX was right behind it. The other bow I liked was the Hoyt power max.

After all the research and shooting, I just did not like the Matthews bows.

Spane Bohem

Chickenhawk
When testing out the different bows, some people like a large "valley" when at full draw...just beware that the valley you feel, while comfortable, means an extra fraction of a second it takes your arrow to leave once you hit your release.

Different bows have different feel in the draw cycle. I prefer an aggressive draw cycle.

jpb1999
AG
That is what was great about the BTX, well the new Bowtechs in general, is that they 2 settings, a comfort setting and a performance setting(more aggressive).

Spane Bohem

Chickenhawk
jpb1999 said:

That is what was great about the BTX, well the new Bowtechs in general, is that they 2 settings, a comfort setting and a performance setting(more aggressive).

Yup. The btx is definitely on my radar.

But I believe it is 3 settings, comfort, performance, and a mix of the two.
redass1876
AG
I shoot mathews after trying out 2 mathews 2 hoyt and a bowtech. My wife went with bowtech after a similar tryout. Everyone has their own best fit.

That said i think we will mostly agree to hate PSE (point shoot explode)

Also, i tried an elite energy after buying my mathews and liked it slightly more. Dont forget to try them
Chickenhawk
Disagree. My pse is nails. But, I wouldn't hesitate to trade up for the new btx.
CTGilley
AG
I have been shooting the same PSE for ~13 years.

I talk myself out of buying a new one every year. .
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
These threads make me miss archery. Was pretty big in the 3D world going up then destroyed my rotator cuff on my right shoulder due to pulling way too much weight way to young (65ish lbs by 15).... Already have mild arthritis in my right shoulder because of it and I'm only 34.

Fun story... didn't get it all figured out until I was 19. Hope for the summer and shoulder was hurting so badly I couldn't sleep at night so I went to see my PCP. Did some xrays and stuff and yeah, most of my rotator cuff was pretty much fubared. Talked to the doc about it and he put me on some anti inflamatories etc and sent me home. I drove a stick shift and it was hard for me to even drive at the time so mom drove me.

To preface this next part, my family is pretty open about dirty jokes in private. Dad and Mom are both VERY professional in the professional world, but at home, it wasn't a big deal. When I got into the car, I made sure to have a very sullen look on my face. Mom asked me what was wrong and I said, "Just go home... give me a second." So, she started driving and I started into it. Described the doctor visit and what was wrong. Drew it out pretty well. Finally, she asked, "Well, do you know what caused it?"

"Yeah, mom... that's what I'm upset about. It's not good."

"What do you mean?"

"Well.... the problem is something that I've been doing for years. Excessive strain on my shoulder..."

"What from?"

"Excessive masturbation."

Woman nearly killed us running off the road.
normaleagle05
AG
You ain't right.
agwrestler
AG
That is perfect
Woods Ag
AG
Why not have it surgically repaired and get back into
It. Recovery is like 12 weeks for a rotator cuff
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Been over a decade since I looked into it. Talked to an ortho about it back then and he said it wasn't something that could be repaired but I probably need to look into it again. I'm just really bad about going to the doctor.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I like my $300 Bear that is probably 10 years old. Granted I sit in a tree and the feeder is 20 yard away.
Gig 'em! '90
AggieChemist
AG
If I made a jerkin off joke to my mom when I was 15 I'd have gotten the back of her hand across my mouth.

Hell, I got slapped for less than that when I was a dumb junior in high school.

Mom: I've had about enough of your stupid mouth today.

Me: Well maybe you're ready for some of my SMART ASS!

SMACK
Chickenhawk
AggieChemist said:

If I made a jerkin off joke to my mom when I was 15 I'd have gotten the back of her hand across my mouth.

SMACK

Totally worth it, though.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
AggieChemist said:

SMACK
Sometimes I think we're related.
Woods Ag
AG
I made a similar comment once and my dad put my head into a plate of enchiladas at Casa Ole..
FirefightAg
AG
Why 2 #2 bullet points
Chickenhawk
He likes #2.
normaleagle05
AG
Coffee helps.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.