Outdoors
Sponsored by

Kid's Hearing Protection

2,435 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ConroeAg
civilized05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was wondering what you folks use for your little ones. Gonna be heading to Monster Jam this weekend and was planning on letting my 3 year old use my Howard Leights so she could hear and have protection without taking off the muff. When I checked the fit last night there was a lot of gapping at the bottom and I'm not confident in the level of seal due to her smaller face/cheek.

I'm thinking about just using some of the foam or rubber ones and may do a trial run tonight to see how long she can leave them in and how comfortable/uncomfortable they are for her.

With that being said, what do you guys use/recommend? I've also got a cheapo Harbor Freight pair that work pretty well but they're kinda heavy.
Zjones920
I just bought the cheap kids ones from Academy for my daughters to wear for the Arkansas game. She slept through most of the game with them on. She was 5 months at the time if that helps.
civilized05
AG
Good deal. I'll swing by academy on the way home then and see what the offerings are.

May even look for something for myself for the trouble.
Kool
AG
Obligatory "What?"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dr_boogs
AG
Serious question, not a troll - I understand using hearing protection for little ones (and adults) around firearms, etc. Is there enough sound/noise generated at football games and monster truck rallies to damage kids' hearing? Perhaps infant/kids ears' are more susceptible to noise damage or something b/c they are still in development?

I'm actually curious about this, as it seems like no one ever used hearing protection at stadiums as recently as a few years ago.

Of course when I was a kid no one used hearing protection at all (kids or adults) when shooting, and look where that's gotten us (deaf as a post, that's where). Can't believe my dad didn't have me wearing plugs/muffs learning to shoot as a kid. I wear them all the time now, even when running a saw, blower, etc.

Maybe my son will some day be the guy saying "can't believe Dad didn't have me wear plugs/muffs at Aggie games".

Thanks I'll hang up and listen.

FIDO*98*
AG
Football games, probably not

Monster truck rally, absolutely
Kool
AG
Noise level chart. Monster truck has to be way up there. Go to sip games in second half.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
civilized05
AG
I'd a been on the skeptical side too, but after having taken my son to one a couple years back, everyone needs hearing protection.

It may not be so bad at an outdoor one, but in NRG with the roof closed it's incredibly loud. Also add in the fact that it's for over an hour straight. I'd liken it to standing right next to the speaker at a rock concert.
jpd301
AG
dr_boogs said:

Serious question, not a troll - I understand using hearing protection for little ones (and adults) around firearms, etc. Is there enough sound/noise generated at football games and monster truck rallies to damage kids' hearing? Perhaps infant/kids ears' are more susceptible to noise damage or something b/c they are still in development?

I'm actually curious about this, as it seems like no one ever used hearing protection at stadiums as recently as a few years ago.

Of course when I was a kid no one used hearing protection at all (kids or adults) when shooting, and look where that's gotten us (deaf as a post, that's where). Can't believe my dad didn't have me wearing plugs/muffs learning to shoot as a kid. I wear them all the time now, even when running a saw, blower, etc.

Maybe my son will some day be the guy saying "can't believe Dad didn't have me wear plugs/muffs at Aggie games".

I look at it like this - what do the kids have to lose by wearing ear plugs or muffs at a game? Look a little funny but wgaf. No harm to wearing them. A lot of harm down the road could potentially come from not wearing them.

Prior to the ole Miss game in 2014 i would occasionally experience tinnitus. Since that game it has been constant. It's pretty miserable and I just question why bother taking chances so my kids wear plugs or muffs at games now.
CTGilley
AG
dr_boogs said:

Must defiantly a football game can damage your ears. Children are more sensitive and I am not as informed but even adults can/will loose hearing at games. Hearing protection is advised over 80db and in an industrial environment it is required by OSHA over 85db. Now TWA time weighted averages come into play but we will not get into that.

The general rule is anytime you have to raise your voice to talk to someone less than 3 feet from you, you are at risk.

If you ever have temporary hearing loss. (I have multiple times after games.) You also have a small amount of permanent hearing loss.
Oogway
Back in the day, some stadiums were not quite so big and, except for the band, there really wasn't music. Fans were loud, but I can't recall ever having my ears ring or anything. Husband was on the field during a game at Kyle last season and despite being a little hard of hearing said it was really really loud. Bad for opponents, but unfortunately also for the ears...
I would wear hearing protection, but mostly because the damage is long term and builds over time.
Bassmaster
AG
Monster truck noise is really bad. I wouldn't contemplate bringing kids without hearing protection. In fact, i won't go again without protection for myself. That is coming from someone whose kids don't even know what a bicycle helmet is...gasp.
45-70Ag
AG
My son likes the ear plugs hickok45 uses on his YouTube videos.
FrontPorchAg

I don't go to monster truck rallies
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
AggieGunslinger
AG
Monster Jam is Jerry World was the loudest event I have ever been to.

Peltor makes some kids muffs that my kids wear for hours with no issues. My 6 year old also wears the smallest surefire ear plugs when we shoot but I think I would want him in muffs for Monster Jam.
CTGilley
AG
Muffs have a lower NRR than most plugs but plugs need to be fitted properly. Kids and really everyone should be wearing both when shooting.
JD05AG
AG
Monster truck races, heck yes you need protection. Most football games, no...but it wouldn't hurt anything. I remember going to a game at Floyd Casey and the PA system was turned up so loud to cover the ags in the stands that I was quite inebriated and still remember the ringing in my ears. I don't want my son to have the level of tinitus that I have at 34.
ConroeAg
The noise at even the loudest football games is absolutely blown away by what you'll hear at a monster truck show at a stadium with the roof closed.

I can appreciate that some people want to use hearing protection for their infant children at football games, but don't let that fool you into thinking monster trucks are going to have a comparable sound. The need for hearing protection at a football game is actually worthy of debate...but the need for protection at a monster truck rally is not debatable, especially for children.

I can not overstate the difference between the two.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.