Outdoors
Sponsored by

Winner announced for best money saving trick while in college

3,619 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Congrats to PrezCamacho - you're the winner! Here's his answer:
"Lived in a literally condemned house. Rent was about $40/month for a place right off north gate. Owner refused to repair it after a horrendous flood because he wanted it zoned commercial and the place was condemned. Bunch of us lived there for virtually free. Floors were warped, windows wouldn't close, but it was cheap and a block from campus and north gate. Also, I was a sufficiently funny drunk that I rarely bought beer. That is a good life skill."

Just reply to suzanne@texags.com to claim your prize.

We know you had some great ways to save money on grub, beer and more in college. Share your favorite money saving tip here and you'll be entered to win a TexAgs T-shirt!

As a former student you can still save money at MacResource anytime and save even more at the One Day Sale!
Out of town? Take part in our PreOrder event now through November 3rd and have it shipped to your doorstep!

Students, Former Students, Faculty, and Staff of A&M - Visit MacResource computers at the MSC, your Apple Authorized Campus Store, during the One Day Sale event on November 3rd from 8AM to 8PM. Shop early or late, all day long! But don't miss out on the best prices on the newest Apple products.

MacResource Computers & Service is proud to be a long-time TexAgs Sponsor and the area's ONLY one-stop-shop for Aggies to purchase Apple Authorized products!

Complete list of offerings available at mac-resource.com/sale, MacResource is Aggie Owned & Operated for more than twenty years and the only source for former students to buy at educational prices
SquirrellyDan
AG
I wish I had one back then.

Edit: 30 pack of stones from wal mart.
UTExan
Skipping two meals a day
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
FCBlitz
I bought my vegetables at "The Farm Patch", my meat at "Apache Meat Market", bread at Mrs Baird's Outlet. Everything was bought at Kroger's using coupons on triple coupon day.

Actually ate pretty well for not having much money.
hopeandrealchange
Here is quite possibly the most profound reply this thread will get.

The answer to many of life's biggest problems is ------ are you ready? Are you sitting down? Are you sure you can deal with this very complicated new tech reply?

GET A JOB! Or possibly two.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
1.donate plasma, get $20
2. Spend 5$ on .95 MGD at the chicken, because you are now a cheap drunk with less plasma
3.???
4. Profit
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Buy keystone ice instead of keystone light. 30 pack was the same price but 5.9%ABV
Pro Sandy
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
One of my buddies could get lit up at the Chicken for $3. He would start with 3 of his own $1 beers to get a buzz started, then get a Dixie cup and start meeting random people or anyone he knew there that had a pitcher, chat a while, and help himself to a pour. After he did this a while and his standards dropped as he got more buzzed, he would start keeping an eye out for any partial pitcher that anyone got up and left. He'd grab the rest before they could clear the table. Finally, as the night wore on, he might get drunk enough to just start downing half empty beer cups other people left...
akaggie05
AG
Quote:

Buy keystone ice instead of keystone light. 30 pack was the same price but 5.9%ABV

I had all but forgotten about the black can of death. Thanks.
Chickenhawk
MouthBQ98 said:

One of my buddies could get lit up at the Chicken for $3. He would start with 3 of his own $1 beers to get a buzz started, then get a Dixie cup and start meeting random people or anyone he knew there that had a pitcher, chat a while, and help himself to a pour. After he did this a while and his standards dropped as he got more buzzed, he would start keeping an eye out for any partial pitcher that anyone got up and left. He'd grab the rest before they could clear the table. Finally, as the night wore on, he might get drunk enough to just start downing half empty beer cups other people left...

Who the **** leaves without finishing their pitcher?
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I'm not proud of it, but I did it.

When canes first came to college station they put an Ad in the coupon books for a free box meal. You give them the card and they have you 4 chicken strips, toast, fries, coleslaw, and a drink. I hit up every book store I could find and got about 70-90 of those books. I would pull that coupon on and the rib kept them in a lock box in her room, she lived in a house of 4 girls.

Whenever I wanted to go fishing or dove hunting I'd tell people if they drive I'd get supper. When I would walk in they knew it was box, no slaw extra toast with 2 sauces and a sweet tea.

saltydog13
AG
Stock up on Keystones during chili fest when they'd have the price wars between HEB and either Kroger/Walmart. 30 pack for $7-8
aggiedent
AG
The late Chanellos Pizza opened at 12 noon on Sunday. They had a 30min or it's free policy. We use to call at exactly noon and they never got it there on time.

Then one day they refused to take any orders until their ovens were up to temp and the free pizza ended.
helloag99
Natty light at Kroger on Texas at swp $3.99 12 pqck of bottles not even on sale
shimmeringshark
AG
I stopped going on dates...
Sarge 91
AG
Leave wallet at home so buddies had to pay.
Satellite of Love
Don't have a legitimate girlfriend just a FWB.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
ursusguy
AG
Avoid alcohol, and allow myself a strict budget of $80/month for food.
drmwvr
AG
shimmeringshark said:

I stopped going on dates...

Went on dates with girls who's family ranches measured in sections....
redass1876
AG
Live on homeade taquitos for ever meal. 18 eggs, 20 tortillas and cajun chef hot sauce is about $5

$2 pitchers at the hall before 9
Studio lounge was $0.25 wells on Tuesdays
Margarita rocks on Wdenesdays
30 packs of keystone ice at appletree were $8 on sale. Kegs for $34
ursusguy
AG
Oh, and avoid buying text books unless absolutely necessary. I think I spent less than $1000 over 4.5 years. Had several semesters I bought one or none.
aTm2004
AG
Inviting mom up for the weekend and letting her see the empty fridge and pantry. Both were overflowing when she left. She never saw the 30 packs of Stones, but would buy a couple cases of good beer for me as well.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
DimeBox17
AG
Worked all through college so I've just bought whatever food I want. However, when funds are tight, PB&J sandwiches, egg/deer sausage tacos, Natty light, and stay away from going to the bar.
LRHF
AG
Parents lived in Salt Lake City and would ski at Snowbird during breaks. They came out with lift passses with barcodes. The 1st generation had a barcode on both sides of the pass. Would start with an old pass on jacket and cut the new lift pass in half. Place carefully on old pass and hold careful for ski patrol to scan the correct side. The next person had to wait 8 minutes before doing the same with other side (computers tried to catch people getting on a lift then throwing pass down to friends). Once you were successfully up the first lift, they didn't scan tickets anymore! Half price tickets and worked for a few seasons!
CS78
Frying deer meat or fish about 4 days a week. Dam women flocked to it like you cant imagine. Rarely had to pay for an actual date.
DimeBox17
AG
Introduced a few girls to some fried duck and backstrap my sophomore year. They were all sober and really enjoyed it.
MouthBQ98
AG
I once made it home from college station dead broke on a quarter tank of gas. Used the change I scrounged out of my truck seat and console to buy 1.5 gallons of gas in Hempstead, and ate 2 ketchup packets to tide me over for lunch. Dead serious. I got home on fumes.
jtp01
AG
I lived in a terrible house in Bryan with 4 roommates. 2 of us "split" the formal dining room. Rent was 168.50/mo.

We were all country kids. Ate LOTS of pinto beans. Anytime one of us went home, there was always beef, pork or chicken brought back lifted from mom and dads freezer. Especially enjoyed springtime when we could liberate fresh veggies from the garden.

Thinking back. My gosh we were all broke. I remember one time Wal Mart had a mistake in their ad for the week. We all pooled our money to buy 30 packs of Keystone Light for $5.29/ea. With no limit, we had enough money between us to buy a PALLET. We never went to the bar all semester. The times of our lives.
aTm2004
AG
jtp01 said:

Thinking back. My gosh we were all broke. I remember one time Wal Mart had a mistake in their ad for the week. We all pooled our money to buy 30 packs of Keystone Light for $5.29/ea. With no limit, we had enough money between us to buy a PALLET. We never went to the bar all semester. The times of our lives.

Kids, this is doing college right.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Aggieangler93
AG
i had a roommate with a Grandparent's farm in Thorndale. He would go see them over the weekend, and bring back a 120 quart cooler stocked with whatever they had killed that week, so we never had to pay for meat except the occasional yard bird. I would buy the makings for sides and some bread and charcoal for the pit. We ate something off the smoker about 4 nights a week for 2 years or so. It was so cheap compared to buying meat. The only rule was, if you got home first, get the pit going! That, and penny drink/any coin any drink night at Grahams or $1 pitchers there or at the hall helped.

I also augmented my income regularly by beating the hell out of the poor frat daddies in the weekly 8 ball partners pool tourney at Hurricane Harry's. Most months, me and a buddy would win it 2-3 times a month. That meant about $750-$1000 each a month in cash coming in off pool for a few nights of drinking and hard work. We usually made even more when the guys in 2nd-5th place for the tournament that evening were somehow convinced we just got lucky, and wanted to play a few more games at $20 a stick. Maybe even with my ambidextrous partner being so "drunk" he was willing to shoot left handed to make things more fair to the other team. To make things less risky, we made an agreement with another team we used to play pool with in our league at Clicks....we gave each other's entries fees back out of the prize money, if either of our teams won that night.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Hit up Gatti's buffet with ziplocks in our Jansport backpacks.
Gig 'em! '90
tbone421998
AG
Lived in my parents 17' travel trailer.
JAG03
AG
$9.99 30 packs of keystone light.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Buy everything in bulk. Sams and some place in Bryan I don't remember.
Live with 2 other siblings off of Krenek Tap road.
Archie's $0.39 hamburgers.
Switched to MCI.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.