Outdoors
Sponsored by

New Home Construction is Outdoors

7,264 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by pb488
cheeky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any other feedback on Partners in Building? We're giving them consideration.
Todd 02
AG
Our specifications called for the contractor to provide stucco facade. We later found out that they intended to install an exterior insulation and finishing system (EIFS) cladding manufactured by Dryvit. That's not what we thought we were getting, but that's another story. EIFS is essentially a rigid foam insulation with plaster. My loan officer described it as a "styrofoam cooler with mud on the outside." The manufacturer has specifications online.

We requested for the builder or the subcontractor to provide a description of how they would install the EIFS. The builder told us that the subcontractor wasn't required to provide that information to us; that he was a professional; and that he would install it his way. We cautioned them that it would void the warranty (specifically, the warranty says "This warranty is void if a component of the system is substituted or eliminated or if Dryvit materials are intermixed with other chemicals or materials not specifically required by Dryvit's current published literature.")

For a short time, we considered the EIFS, provided that it were installed in such a way as to not void the warranty. At the end of the day, we prefer conventional stucco instead of EIFS. I honestly think the builder or sub was trying to install a cheap product that looked like stucco. EIFS is popular in commercial applications, particularly as a cladding for older buildings since it adds insulation. The main drawback to EIFS is impact resistance, unless you pay for the higher quality materials.

A cousin of mine has it installed on building. He said the hail from springtime thunderstorms just beats it to hell.
schmellba99
AG
I would not install EFIS on a residential structure anyway. Way too much movement, prone to water infiltration and subsequent mold. They had a big issue with this stuff on residential structures back in the late 90's/early 2000's.

It's a great product for commercial structures where you have significantly less structural movement than what you see on a home, but not ideal for home building (unless something has changed, which is entirely possible since I don't keep up with that industry).
Aggietaco
AG
Not to mention EIFS has a long history of leaks. We're just getting to the point in the commercial industry that we'll even consider using it on projects again now that the systems are improving and the manufacturers are teaching their installers how to correctly apply.
jja79
AG
IMO they are a production builder. Like Weekley they have a build on your lot department but that isnt really who they are. Again thats just an opinion.
Todd 02
AG
UPDATE!

So, we're finally turned loose on this home building project again. After a painful 5-1/2 month legal process, my father was approved as the general contractor.

One of the benefits of the downtime was we were able to identify quite a bit of "wasted space" in the attic that we've committed to finishing as habitable space. The wife and I demo'd a closet and built winder stairs. We beefed up the joists in the ceiling to accommodate the floor upstairs. At the end of the day, we look to add almost 600 SF to the living area at a pretty insignificant cost to the overall project.

This is looking down the hallway to the former closet in the utility room. The closet was going to house the water heater and air handling equipment for the HVAC.

Now it's a staircase...

As I mentioned, the wife and I (and the dog) did all the construction ourselves to add the stairs and second story floor and walls. It's quite a task when you've got a 6 year old and a 3 year old running around trying to help.

I'm going to try and update this as we go along. The plan this weekend is to finish the joists and put down subfloor in the attic. The wife and I gave up alcohol for Lent. Our plan is to drink a beer on the finished subfloor on Sunday evening.
PFG
AG
Happy to hear your project is up and going!

My wife and I have been slogging through all the logistics of getting our house started. No legal battles like you, just a bunch of red tape...

1) Bought some property (2 ac) adjacent to our 6 ac. piece. Wanted it surveyed in. Had to go through the plat amendment process with the county. Those wheels turn SLLOOWWWW

2) Property has an historic family plot cemetery (not my family). Seems that cemetery = "don't touch" to some lenders. Fewer options for perm financing. Thats always fun :|

schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
Todd 02
AG
We got pretty lucky. I'm the only SOB in the South Plains that's been happy for a drought! The previous builder completed the following:

• plumbing rough-in
  • footings and slab
  • well
  • framing
  • sheathing
  • roof decking
  • some electrical boxes

The structure has been exposed to the elements while the legal issues persisted. I had to transform into Mr. Hyde several times to get things off of high center.

We have materials for a metal roof sitting on the ground awaiting installation. We got 0.95" of rain on Tuesday night. It couldn't wait another couple of days for us to sign and file the paperwork so we could officially hire the roofer!
schmellba99
AG
I assume you are going to make that area under the new stairs accessible? Lot of storage space there.
Todd 02
AG
It will house our well pressure tank, water softener system, and water heater.
yaterag
AG
Add a floor drain if one isn't already there. Something will inevitably leak at some point.
35chililights
AG
I feel your pain, Todd. Hang in there. It'll all be worth it.
Todd 02
AG
So one of the issues we had to resolve in order to create a second story floorspace was 2x6 joists over the kitchen area. They were initially oriented east/west 16" O.C. over a 13'-4" span. Fine for hanging drywall, but not for a floor

Since the other spans in the house were all shorter and had 2x6 joists, I didn't want to jump up to a wider board in the kitchen if I didn't have to. It makes for a difficult transition in the floor upstairs.

After running the joist design calculations, I deduced that we needed to change the orientation to a north/south span of 10'-1" and put them 8" O.C. to handle the bending stress and deflection. Unconventional for sure.

A habitable attic space is allowed a live load of 30 PSF, a dead load of 10 PSF, and a deflection of L/360. I designed for 40 PSF live load and 15 PSF dead load. I've got a factor of safety of 1.46 on bending and 1.15 on deflection.

The headers are sistered 1-3/4" x 16" Versa-Lams.

We started laying OSB subfloor yesterday.

And Dad came out to check on the progress and inspect all my work.

The Fife
I see the subfloor is being screwed in, which is a good thing. Can't see the glue though, I assume someone is using it?

Also is this stuff tongue and groove? Pardon my ignorance, I normally use 3/4" plywood which is only painted along the short edges.
SPF250
AG
Todd:

How tall are your ceilings and what are those joints I appear to be seeing in the wall studs?
Todd 02
AG
Quote:

I see the subfloor is being screwed in, which is a good thing. Can't see the glue though, I assume someone is using it?

Also is this stuff tongue and groove? Pardon my ignorance, I normally use 3/4" plywood which is only painted along the short edges.
Glued and screwed! Every joist. Screws 12" O.C. They're cheap, in the long run, so no reason not to use them.

Yes, 23/32" tongue and groove OSB.

Quote:

How tall are your ceilings and what are those joints I appear to be seeing in the wall studs?
Ceilings throughout the house are either 9' or 10'. Most of the second floor will be above 10' ceilings. The joints are called finger joints. It's a newer thing in wall studs used only in vertical orientation. Basically allows the mill to use more scraps. I don't care for them, but they're allowed under Code and function well, so long as they're in compression.

We will go back and install blocking between the studs to keep them loaded in compression. Plus the drywall should tie everything together.
SPF250
AG
The pic just looked like a horizontal cut, so I didn't immediately register those as finger joints. Carry on.
pb488
AG
make sure you follow manufacturer recommendations for building up LVLs. side loading can result in the plys delaminating if not properly fasteners
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.