Outdoors
Sponsored by

Colorado, Drones and Hunters

2,413 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CSJazzGal
TailG8TR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The state of Colorado does not currently see this as a serious problem, but wants to get out in front of the issue because they foresee it likely becoming more commonplace.

Drone usage is certainly more common now than just a couple years back. Interesting to consider how it might change the whole hunting "game" if left unchecked.

Interesting article......

Hunters/Drones/Colorado
Furlock Bones
AG
love it.
ursusguy
AG
Several states have made it illegal (Montana, Alaska, and Colorado). Wyoming was moving that way, but I haven't looke into it in a while.

There is actually a aerial wildlife management permit in Texas, that includes the use of drones. So I suspect Texas may stick them under "aircraft" for restricted means of hunting.....the is Texas, I'm sure someone will know more specifics.

Keep in mind B&C will not accept an animal if a drone was used in any manner (if that is important to you).
drummer0415
AG
Some people get really butthurt about drones.
Furlock Bones
AG
drummer0415 said:

there has to be a line somewhere. aerial reconnaissance is certainly over the line.
IDAGG
AG
Furlock Bones said:

drummer0415 said:

there has to be a line somewhere. aerial reconnaissance is certainly over the line.
Yes indeed. Drones are just an extension of using aircraft to find game and direct hunters to them which is already illegal in many states.

Idaho has also updated their regs a few years ago to add drones to the prohibited list:

Quote:

To use aircraft, including unmanned aircraft, to locate game or furbearing animals and communicate location to persons on the ground, or to use any helicopter to transport hunters, gear, or game except at established landing fields.
AgEng06
AG
The only part of that article I think may be a little wonky is outlawing drones to help recover animals. I'm not seeing the downside to allowing them for this purpose. Any ideas?

I guess if they aren't actually dead yet, the drone could spook them and force them to run further... but so could a hunter following the blood trail.
FTAG 2000
AG
Furlock Bones said:

drummer0415 said:

Ban google and bing then.

The paranoia over drones is ridiculous. Unless one's sitting outside your bedroom window or putting down prop wash over your wife sunning topless in your backyard, there's nothing to worry about.
ccard257
AG
AG 2000' said:

Furlock Bones said:

drummer0415 said:

The paranoia over drones is ridiculous. Unless one's sitting outside your bedroom window or putting down prop wash over your wife sunning topless in your backyard, there's nothing to worry about.

Do you really not see the difference between looking at an old aerial photo and a live stream from a drone or radio updates from a pilot looking for animals?

shaynew1
AG
AG 2000' said:

Furlock Bones said:

drummer0415 said:

Have you hunted any out west?
whoop91
AG
My question comes into the definition of scouting.

What is considered scouting?

I could see an ethical issue if scouting is used the day of the hunt.
I am less inclined to see an issue if you use a drone out of season or out of the "hunt" to get a better feel for the land, what is on your property, etc. I would see this no different then having game cameras everywhere and checking on the feeds except it is faster and more efficient.

Can it be considered scouting if I use a drone on my land in July to overview the property and check for potential big bucks? From the wording up above and in the article it looks like they can nail you as this is scouting.
Furlock Bones
AG
AG 2000' said:

Furlock Bones said:

drummer0415 said:

this is a very stupid comparison.
schmellba99
AG
AG 2000' said:

Furlock Bones said:

drummer0415 said:

Until you are out somewhere with 35 other hunters who are flying drones around and nobody can even put crosshairs on game because everything is being chased away.

How you manage and hunt on your private land is up to you, but public land needs to be kept as low tech as possible because it is exactly that - public land.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I'm not a deer hunter, but if it's ok to bait deer and "train" them to react to a feeder, I don't see the big deal with drones.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against TX deer hunting, I just never got into it.
ATX_AG_08
AG
We used a drone to check a couple of feeders on a ranch last year while we were dove hunting a good distance away. It was cool as hell. I don't think that's any different than having a live game camera on a feeder like some people do (not I).

I want to learn to use one at the coast but I don't know if it would be possible due to the wind and salt.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I hope we can outlaw live feed game cameras.

In all honestly I see no problem with using a drone for scouting. It would also be cool to get a duck drone that could drag another decoy in the air to coax the birds to get one pass lower.
Old Sarge
AG
I have considered a drone to fly out fro the blind location at about 8:30AM at a decent altitude to see if it's worth hanging around for another hour or so, or to see what might be coming before.

But that kills the suspense if early. I like that, and have taught my soon to be hunter on his own to stay for a while when no activity as that can be "the time".

I can appreciate the use if there is a management buck (read crappy buck here) fixing to come out in a bit and NOTHING else is around to sit and take out the trash.
PrestigeWW
AG
AG 2000' said:

Furlock Bones said:

drummer0415 said:

I think that if they fly over private property they should be vulnerable to being shot down. No questions asked.
PrestigeWW
AG
Furlock Bones said:

AG 2000' said:

Furlock Bones said:

drummer0415 said:

this is a very stupid comparison.
Completely ignorant analogy. Obviously from someone who is a drone enthusiast who wants to fly it wherever he pleases.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Reading the title I thought this was somehow gonna be about weed.
CSJazzGal
AG
If their main problem is running cattle off private party, that is illegal already.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.