Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me pick an AR

2,747 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mongey donk
LilSebastian13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been on the lookout for a long time for a cheap one for my first AR. I saw the two below on PSA today and was wondering if someone(s) could give a recommendation. I'm not too familiar with the PSA branded ARs so that's another reason for this post. The two I'm looking at are below. Same price - one's a Ruger, the other PSA.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-moe-ept-freedom-rifle-with-rear-mbus-516446600.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ruger-16-ar15-5-56-adjustable-rapid-deploy-rear-sight-rifle-8500.html?trk_msg=Q85UG4BMAEAKR8FRN6UQPOIVI8&trk_contact=RPE3Q73SMCJK99OLVQF641CCG8&trk_sid=MIDD9AJ1HO3RIB6MMGNUGLAQTS&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fruger-16-ar15-5-56-adjustable-rapid-deploy-rear-sight-rifle-8500.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5%3a00+Email
dr_boogs
AG
Palmetto state has been hit or miss for me. At that price point I'd go for the Ruger. Disclaimer - no experience w PSA ARs, but have shot a couple of Rugers.
BCStalk
I have a Ruger and I could not get the gun to cycle correctly with pmags when purchased. Ended up working after several hundred rounds and swapping bolt carriers from another rifle. I definitely would go with PSA. Also note I typically only purchase DPMS as they do what I need them to do.
JP76
Fwiw Academy has the m&p 15 on sale for $599 this week and you get a $100 gift card for purchasing it

http://www.academy.com/shop/store/WeeklyAd
FIDO*98*
AG
BCStalk said:

I have a Ruger and I could not get the gun to cycle correctly with pmags when purchased. Ended up working after several hundred rounds and swapping bolt carriers from another rifle. I definitely would go with PSA. Also note I typically only purchase DPMS as they do what I need them to do.

Interesting. My Mini-14 will only work with Ruger Magazines
BenderRodriguez
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Ruger makes ARs. He's probably not talking about the mini.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Between the two... get the ruger. Think about one thing though, if you will want to switch to a freefloat handguard, you'll be better served by buying a gun with one now. The front post on those are a pain to get off, to put it mildly.
LilSebastian13
AG
Yeah, I was thinking about that and am considering this one because of it.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-lightweight-keymod-moe-ept-freedom-rifle-with-mbus-sight-set-516447093.html
maverick2076
I'd go with the PSA.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Get one of each. EOT.
GSS
And since pretty much all AR milspec triggers are atrocious...
Ruger MPR $560

Ruger's description:
Ruger 8514
NRA Life
TSRA Life
FrontPorchAg
GSS said:

Lol, I think that about most things that are "milspec"
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

GSS said:

You have no idea how much I loathe "milspec"... At least twice a week I hear... "Are your rifles "milspec?"".... either I say yes (which I don't do) just because that guy probably doesn't really know what it means... or I spend 10 minutes explaining why milspec isn't always the best.
gibberish
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Mtn_Guide said:

GSS said:

You have no idea how much I loathe "milspec"... At least twice a week I hear... "Are your rifles "milspec?"".... either I say yes (which I don't do) just because that guy probably doesn't really know what it means... or I spend 10 minutes explaining why milspec isn't always the best.
you should adopt some sort advertisment like Daniel Defense's "MilSpec+" which basically means milspec where that's good enough and better than where you deemed necessary.

you could call it DilloSpec or DilSpec or MilSpec Magnum or whatever the hell may convince a noob of your quality.

maverick2076
You could call it J-Spec. You know, for "Jason Spec".
CTGilley
AG
My cousin bought the Ruger on sale at Academy a few months ago. I was very impressed with the fit and finish. The trigger looks to be milspec but it has no creep and a light pull. For a ~500 gun it was the best trigger I have felt.

I have a PSA and spent some time with the Ruger. IMO the Ruger is far superior. If you do not mind the front sight post the Ruger hands down is the way to go.
FIDO*98*
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

FIDO*98* said:

Ruger makes ARs. He's probably not talking about the mini.

Yes, that was understood. Just thought it was interesting that both Ruger .223 semi-auto platforms don't properly function with aftermarket magazines. I assumed it was just the design of the Mini, but, now wondering if it's baked in by Ruger
CTGilley
AG
We did not have an issue with any generation of PMag
bam02
AG
I have that Ruger AR. Pretty sure it included a PMAG in the box.
BCStalk
It does. That's when I had issues right out of the box. Used A steel magazine and had no issues. All was well once the gun was broken in but I don't know if it was due to getting rounds through it or switching carriers. Never really thought to put the factory one back in so honestly I don't know. Other than that though it is a good grouping gun.
gibberish
AG
What generation PMAG came with it?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Cabelas has a plain jane Anderson on sale for $399 right now.
BCStalk
Gen2 I believe
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
I have a PSA AR and a EyeGuy/Texian AR and love both. The PSA is fun bc it is 5.56 and is cheaper to shoot as well as just out rounds down range without focusIng as much on accuracy.

The EyeGuy variant in 6.8 I am more protective of due to cost/ability to purchase rounds as well as the rifles ability to place rounds on target.

Notice that I stated the rifle's ability, not my ability. Accuracy at long distance is an elusive goal.
Vivificus
AG
Build your own. It can be had for about the same price, plus you can select each part, and upgrade. Black Friday will have plenty of great deals. If you are in the BCS area I can help you with the build, done a few of my own.
Viv
mongey donk
AG
JP76 said:

Fwiw Academy has the m&p 15 on sale for $599 this week and you get a $100 gift card for purchasing it

http://www.academy.com/shop/store/WeeklyAd

I think you also get 10% off total purchase this weekend at academy? Love my m&p 15, great for the money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.