Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cutting 16ga spring steel without losing the temper

5,662 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Snow Monkey Ambassador
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As the title says, I have a strange one for the ob. I have a piece of armor made from 16ga sheet steel that has been heat treated. The armorer made a mistake, and I need to enlarge the arm radius in the breast plate.

The cut will have to follow an existing curve, and has to not destroy the heat treatment on the steel.

We thought about a pneumatic nibbler, but not sure.

Thanks for any help
BCStalk
We cut AR400 and 500 pretty regularly and I'll tell you it's going to be too hard to cut with a bladed tool. A cut off wheel on an angle grinder is your best bet, just don't get crazy with it and it won't get hot. My rule of thumb is to never get the area any hotter than 250 degrees. Any hotter and you risk normalizing the metal.
EFE
AG
Breastplate stretcher
garyt73
AG
Plasma torch.
FIDO 96
AG
Honest question...why are you worried about it losing its temper. Are you really going to ever wear this in a life or death situation?
Complaint Investigator
AG
average_joker
AG
Could be the look? I know Middle Ages armorers often blued metal by tempering for aesthetics.
schmellba99
AG
I would first try a porta band, but depending on the heat treat, it may not cut. Given that it is fairly thin, i think it will. You can cool the metal with cutting oil during the cutting process.

If not, a peanut grinder with a cutoff wheel is an option. Make it a 2 person job, where one of the people has the responsibility of spraying water to siphon off heat with a squirt bottle. Go slow, dont let color change or heat build.
Ag_of_08
AG
FIDO 96 said:

Honest question...why are you worried about it losing its temper. Are you really going to ever wear this in a life or death situation?

Average has it partially right. My armor is blackened, and excessive heat will cause serious issues with that. this particular piece is covered in cloth, and while I can peel the covering away, I can't remove it wihtout cutting out and replacing ~ 45 rivets.

I fight with rattan, and will be fighting with steel blunts at some point. While not life and death, I have taken shots hard enough to dent a 12ga stainless steel raised dome helm, and with steel blunts.... hardening is fairly important. I would say I would prefer not to lose the temper any farther than I'm going to have to, as the hardening is definitely an improvement to safety.

Sounds like I may be fighting an uphill battle.

I don't have a picture of my actual corrazina, but here are my gauntlets.

My arm and leg harnesses:

My torso armor(corrazina), looks just like this, but in maroon. This one belongs to a co-worker I also fight with(the whole harness sans the helm and gauntlets is his.)

And yes, I know I'm weird, and ask some odd questions here..... least it's outside!

SWCBonfire
AG
If you know anyone with an ironworker with a radiused nibbler, that would probably be best out of all the options. Remove the bulk of the material with no heat and smooth it with a ******* file.

I'm assuming that this is probably A1011 gr40 and the heat treatment is more asthetic than a real case hardening. Regardless, it shouldn't be a problem in that thickness.
BCStalk
Ha ******* file
FIDO*98*
AG
You may want to try posting this on the 30yo virgin board
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Wow that's pretty cool. I'd use the nibbler for big removal (or rasp if you don't have access) then progressively finer files. No way I'd put any kind of powered abrasive cutter on that, localized heat builds way too quick. Can't even imagine what that rig cost
Ag_of_08
AG
FIDO*98* said:

You may want to try posting this on the 30yo virgin board

Over 30, not a virgin, and you'd probably fall over in shock if you met some of the women that do this ( and win ), and other reenactments.

Going to start looking for a nibbler, thank y'all
Ag_of_08
AG
Depends on the route you take, unfortunately American armorers are.... expensive.

I went with jolly knight in the Ukraine. His work is great, we just mixed up a measurement somewhere. The whole harness sans the helm in heat treated is a little north of a grand. Worth it to not have broken bones, bruised kidneys, and health issues down the line
raidernarizona
That'd be the most badass Halloween Costume! I'm jealous!
BlueSmoke
Dilly Dilly!
Nobody cares. Work Harder
raidernarizona
Quote:

you'd probably fall over in shock if you met some of the women that do this ( and win )

And, you do know WE HAVE RULES around here right???
Ag_of_08
AG
I would be hung and shot for posting pictures of the ones I know here!
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

I would be hung and shot for posting pictures of the ones I know here!

Hung and shot

That not very periodesque for renactors.
Ag_of_08
AG
Actually...

Pretty standard punishment in Tudor England was hanging, if you where lucky they would shoot or stab you once you where mostly dead. Hanging in that period was not a drop and stop method, it tended to be you standing on a stool, and they kicked it out from under you, so you where strangled

I'm fat, so no problems on a quick death, the skinny ones... nope
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
im sorry....... did you say mostly dead

magnumtmp
AG
Eastwood sells a gel that is made specifically to remove heat from panels as you cut with abrasive wheels. It's made to prevent warping on sheet metal body work for automotive, but I think it accomplishes what you need.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-anti-heat-compound-1-qt.html
hopeandrealchange
Water jet is the solution.
schmellba99
AG
Look up the CaNibble. Looks,pretty solid for your application.
malenurse
AG
Quote:

And yes, I know I'm weird, and ask some odd questions here..... least it's outside!
You should go to the GB or the Nerdery. You would be considered quite normal by their standards.
SWCBonfire
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

Water jet is the solution.

From what was described it didn't sound like it was flat sheet anymore.

But if it would pass under the head, agree that would be the way to go. Especially if you could flip it concave side up and feed it by hand under a stationary head. Good luck finding someone to let you try that without signing a disclaimer.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Why dont you take it back to the armorer and tell him to fix the mistake and give you what you paid for?
AgEng06
AG
I was thinking maybe it's a time issue, or maybe since the armorer is in the Ukraine...
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.