Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bow hunting lessons learned

5,572 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Chickenhawk
chocolatelabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is my first real season to bow hunt. Been practicing quite a bit and I'm comfortable out to about 30 yards.

Sat night was first night in my tree stand and it was hot. Got in stand and was just cooling off a little and had bow on the ground. Not 5 min after I sat down. Two does walk within 10 yds of me and my damn bow is still on ground.

Big lesson learned for me.

So what are a few other lessons the OB might teach me?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Draw in your stand to make sure you don't have a giant, leafy limb ready to alert every deer in the County you're about to shoot.

Always leave an extra release in your hunting pack.

Double and triple check that your quiver didn't fall off on the way in.

Always check to make sure your broadheads are on the arrows in the quiver.... not practice tips.

I could go on....
saltyoldguy
AG
Know where your broadheads are at all times.

Before the ER doc stitched me up, he asked if I was trying to hurt myself. I guess full camo didn't tip him off.
FSGuide
Even if you know you're not gonna shoot the deer you're looking at, go ahead and draw and hold on them just to get the hang of it. It's different than targets.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Solid advice! Just to get the nerves out and also test how stealthy you are.
AgEng06
AG
FSGuide said:

Even if you know you're not gonna shoot the deer you're looking at, go ahead and draw and hold on them just to get the hang of it. It's different than targets.

Just be careful on this one, depending on how/where you're hunting. You don't want to accidentally spook and educate one of the lead does in the area. If you do, she'll stare a hole through you every time she is around your stand and generally be a pain in your ass.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
And that's how you know which doe to shoot first.

As Sean would put it, Snorty McStomp.
AgEng06
AG
Absolutely
C4D
AG
Bend at the waist
Aim For the heart, not the lungs
ttha_aggie_09
AG
How did miss this? What's the story?

Did you get the "do you live in a safe home" question from the ER nurse?
EskimoJoe
Always poop before you get set up to hunt.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Be sure to practice how you hunt. If you are sitting sideways, then practice like that. If standing, then practice like that.
agingcowboy
AG
Always check your release. When I take mine off I buckle it to my bow so they can't become separated.

Also, be careful of your broadheads. In addition to stabbing yourself (as mentioned above), I've seen a guy run one across his bowstring by accident and it cut it. His bow exploded and since we were backcountry his hunt was over.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agwrangler2001
AG
Unless you see the deer you just shot fall over and expire, wait before you get down.

When you're done waiting, wait some more. I like to set a timer on my phone right after the shot.

If you start tracking blood and it dries up, or something looks questionable, back out.

"When in doubt, back out."
Ark03
AG
agwrangler2001 said:

Unless you see the deer you just shot fall over and expire, wait before you get down.
Even when you see the deer you just shot fall over and expire, wait before you get down!
Thisguy1
-If you get one, be patient on when to go look.

-Listen after the shot for a crash.

-If you find your arrow (and I always have a lighted nock) just do a really quick search around the shot sight for the first sign of blood. Stick the arrow in the ground there as a marker so you can always go back to find the first sign of blood if you lose the trail.

-Always assume there are a set of eyes on you when you're moving around.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
A lot of good advice!

Speaking of arrows, if you have complete pass through and recover the arrow, thoroughly evaluate the blood type and smell of it. It can tell you a lot about how to proceed forward with tracking/recovery.
Russ11
AG
Sell your guns because bow hunting will ruin you! It's the best
AgEng06
AG
Russ11 said:

Also so you won't be tempted to rifle hunt during the later seasons, or AgLA06 will come after you!
arrow
AG
Keep your treestand platform clean. Getting into position for a shot I've alerted deer with crunching leaves and crunching snow.

Russ11
AG
arrow said:

Keep your treestand platform clean. Getting into position for a shot I've alerted deer with crunching leaves and crunching snow.

Drill holes in seat so that water doesn't pool after an overnight rain / get nasty with leaves sitting in it
Ark03
AG
Thisguy1 said:

-If you find your arrow (and I always have a lighted knock) just do a really quick search around the shot sight for the first sign of blood. Stick the arrow in the ground there as a marker so you can always go back to find the first sign of blood if you lose the trail.
I never carried enough arrows to trail like this - isn't that what toilet paper is for?
44mAG
AG
If you are just beginning, do not take too long of shots. I know when I started, I had watched hunting shows my entire life where they would consider a 30yd shot on a deer a close one. After 10 years of bow hunting now, and wounding a few animals, I have set my limit to 20-22 yds and closer for whitetails. There is no way of knowing how the deer will react when you shoot, and it gets worse the further they are out. I honestly feel most comfortable at 18 yds and closer. Shooting at relaxed deer is also a good way of increasing your odds of the arrow hitting where you aimed. Another thing I have learner is to WAIT after shooting a deer. Even if you know you heart shot or double lunged a deer, wait at least 45 minutes. If it was a marginal shot, wait hours. Arrows and broadheads don't cause near the internal damage that a bullet does. Give the deer time to expire. Most of all, have fun doing it.

One more thing I just thought of. Shooting at a deer is far different from a target. It is very easy to jerk the release when aiming at a deer and you also will do weird things because you are worried about seeing where the arrow hits. This is why I try to film my shots whenever possible. This way I can concentrate on my mechanics of the shot instead of needing to see exactly where the arrow hits.
Thisguy1
Ark03 said:

Thisguy1 said:

-If you find your arrow (and I always have a lighted knock) just do a really quick search around the shot sight for the first sign of blood. Stick the arrow in the ground there as a marker so you can always go back to find the first sign of blood if you lose the trail.
I never carried enough arrows to trail like this - isn't that what toilet paper is for?

I think you were too fired up about posting about toilet paper that you didn't read my post.

IF YOU FIND THE ARROW YOU SHOT...stick it in the ground at the first sign of blood. Also, because I shoot with a lighted nock, it's already lit and you'll always be able to see it if it gets dark.

What I'll usually do is shoot, listen, wait about 15-30 minutes, then get down and see if I can find the arrow to see if there's blood on it. If i made a good shot and there is, the trail is usually right there around it so I'll stick the arrow in the ground there and back out in the opposite direction of the deer. I'll wait for my help to get there (if there is some coming) then head back, walk right to my arrow that's lit up, and start tracking.

I didn't mean stick an arrow at every sign of blood while tracking.
Ark03
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Ark03 said:

Thisguy1 said:

I think you were too fired up about posting about toilet paper that you didn't read my post.

IF YOU FIND THE ARROW YOU SHOT...stick it in the ground at the first sign of blood. Also, because I shoot with a lighted knock, it's already lit and you'll always be able to see it if it gets dark.

What I'll usually do is shoot, listen, wait about 15-30 minutes, then get down and see if I can find the arrow to see if there's blood on it. If i made a good shot and there is, the trail is usually right there around it so I'll stick the arrow in the ground there and back out in the opposite direction of the deer. I'll wait for my help to get there (if there is some coming) then head back, walk right to my arrow that's lit up, and start tracking.

I didn't mean stick an arrow at every sign of blood while tracking.
Sorry, no offense intended. Your post made me paint a mental picture of a trail of arrows leading down your blood trail. I figured you didn't mean it the way I took it - it's just where my brain went.

You have good ideas; carry on!
raidernarizona
I think you need to reread his post. He mentioned the single arrow.

edit: dangit, too slow
INIGO MONTOYA
had a friend that had an arrow break off in a deer. not realizing what had happened - he fortunately didn't grab the broad head but came close.
JSKolache
AG
agwrangler2001 said:

When you're done waiting, wait some more. I like to set a timer on my phone right after the shot.

If you start tracking blood and it dries up, or something looks questionable, back out.

"When in doubt, back out."
Wait 45 mins to an hour. I lost my first bow buck cuz I jumped him after 20 mins.

I didn't know any better, it never occurred to me in all my prep work, practice, sighting in, talking with dad & buddies, etc. As soon as I tell them I'm stuck & need help tracking, they're like oooh you gotta wait about an hour. NOW u tell me....
AgLA06
AG
AgEng06 said:

Russ11 said:

Also so you won't be tempted to rifle hunt during the later seasons, or AgLA06 will come after you!
I honestly don't have a problem with bow hunting. It's not my thing, but I get it.

Just don't be the crossfit version of bow hunter that tells everyone how much more elite and pure it is to show up later next to me in rifle season after you couldn't fill your tags.
shaynew1
AG
AgLA06 said:

AgEng06 said:

Russ11 said:

I honestly don't have a problem with bow hunting. It's not my thing, but I get it.

Just don't be the crossfit version of bow hunter that tells everyone how much more elite and pure it is to show up later next to me in rifle season after you couldn't fill your tags.

So it's k of my tags got punched?
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, just giving you a hard time.

By the way, I am a crossfitting bowhunter, but I usually only talk about one of them.
AggieChemist
AG
AgLA06 said:

AgEng06 said:

Russ11 said:

Show me on the doll where the mean old bowhunter touched you.
shaynew1
AG
AgEng06 said:

Yeah, just giving you a hard time.

By the way, I am a crossfitting bowhunter, but I usually only talk about one of them.

I done some crossfit, but the only boxes I know about these days have pizza in them.
Woods Ag
AG
Nice thread! Keep the advice coming. Been shooting nonstop the past few weeks in preparation of my first hunt. Went and scouted the area this afternoon. Will probably go sit tomorrow afternoon and maybe Sat/Sun morning

I also crossfit... right now I'm driving all my crossfit buddies crazy talking about bow hunting
MizooAg94
AG
Use a safety harness.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.