Outdoors
Sponsored by

Long Range Hunting* Scope

4,937 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, what the hell scope do I mount on my Bergara B14 HMR (6.5 Creedmoor)?

Use:

-hunting out of box blinds in hill country
-most shots 100-300 yards
- plan is to reach out to 500 and beyond for Aoudad, Pigs, and Feral Goats once I get comfortable
-I will likely practice a little bit to get comfortable at 500+ but I do not have time (between work and kids) to be at a range every weekend

Things to know:

-will shoot factory Hornady Ammo (I'm not reloading... see explanation for Time) but not sure which grain or type
-95% of the time I will be using this for Hunting, so light transmission and clarity are very important
-I am a Leupold guy and have them on all my scopes
-never owned a FFP scope
-none of my reticles (less my AR scope) have Mildot/BDC/WindPlex/MROA

So all that information being said, I need help on a scope and mount.

I am really leaning towards the VX-3i 6.5-20x50mm with the CDS system. I like the idea that I can get a scope with the turrets customized for the gun I am shooting and it "should" take a lot of guess work out of shooting to 500+.

I have also read good things about the LRP 6.5-20x50mm Leupold but it's FFP and it seems a little overwhelming or unnecessary for hunting (no idea though).

Also looking at the Sig Tango 6 (I think) because it has the custom elevation turrets as well but am not sold on the quality of glass.

I would entertain Vortex but am not sure about the lowlight performance which is more important to me, than the bells and whistles of a match scope. The latter also applies to a Nightforce or S&B (though both have amazing glass) and they're also a little more than I am willing to spend.

I've read through sniper-hide and other forums, I've talked to a fair amount of people and researched a lot online but I can't seem to find the right feedback on this type of application.... either you're purely target shooting and it's nightforce, PST, or something else or its for hunting and the traditional guys are mentioned but the range or experience isn't there.

What do I do?

Budget: $1K or less

Eyeguy:

I'll probably come check out one of the Rudolph's again (Love the clarity) soon but still love me some Leupold.

Typed on mobile so forgive any typos.
jpistolero02
I have a Sightron SIII 6-24 on one of my rifles and I think it's a great scope for the money. The glass is very clear. For hunting I don't think you need a FFP scope. For plinking steel they are great because you can quickly adjust based on your misses. Give the Sightron a look, I don't think you will be disappointed.
highvelocity
AG
I've got a brand new Vortex 4-16 FFP I'll let go. Let me know if you're interested
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
ttha_aggie_09
AG
highvelocity said:

I've got a brand new Vortex 4-16 FFP I'll let go. Let me know if you're interested

Which model?

Is 16x enough magnification for 800yds?

I've shot my 14x out to 600 (592) on my 270 and it wasn't terrible but more magnification would've been helpful, I think.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I'll hook you up on either the Rudolph or Leupold. Just let me know what you want
texrover91
AG
Do you want an illuminated reticle?

For that price range I'd look at:

Nightforce SVH 4-14
Leupold Mark 4 LRT 4.5-14x50
Leupold VX-6 3-18X50
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50

The VX6 is probably the best fit for hunting and long range and can be had at just under $1k

You can even squeeze in a demo Leica under $1k

for those ranges and the type of shooting i think you're fine in the 14-18 range, but I'd cheat to the lower side and pay for turrets or reticle of choice over adding more magnification and keep the FOV maxed for Hunting

And a ballistic reticle like a BDC can really take the math out of the equation and reduce the need for elevated turrets etc

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm not against illuminated reticle. Never had one.

VX-6 is another one and I believe it is available with the CDS system. Good advice! Thank you
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'll be stopping by soon, don't worry.
texrover91
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm not against illuminated reticle. Never had one.

VX-6 is another one and I believe it is available with the CDS system. Good advice! Thank you

I like them but I have old eyes - they will drive up cost; an IR on that VX6 pushes you over $1k

One more option would be Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm CDS-ZL2 FireDot if you want elevated turrets and illuminated reticle; not sure if fire dot is the only IR option but Eyeguy can help there

And yes on CDS - a zero stop is a must for me

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Most come with zero stop, no?

Thanks for the feedback! Greatly appreciated.
texrover91
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Most come with zero stop, no?

Thanks for the feedback! Greatly appreciated.

Not on all LR scopes and not even on all scopes of the same model - for instance pretty sure VX5 with out elevated turrets won't have CDS but from what I've seen a VX5 with factory elevated turrets should have CDS. But Leupold has so darn many models and options it's hard to keep up and eye guy can set me straight.

None of my older (as in one/two year old) Vortex LR scopes have a zero stops (and I've moved on from Vortex/Viper - good inexpensive scope but there are better LR options)

cledus6150
AG
I have a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 on my Bergara and love the scope. I also have a leupold VX-6 3-18x50 30mm with fire dot and CDS dial on my 300wby. I really do enjoy both scopes however I can tell the difference and can say hands down the SHV is a better scope (when I bought they were about same cost $1100-1200). If you do some looking you can find the SHV non-illuminated for under1K, I would suggest it.

Also if you need any advise on factory ammo I have shot most hornady and several other factory loads through my gun. I would be happy to share, as well if you end up wanting a trigger I can share the jewell model # that you will need to look for.
ought1ag
AG
http://www.huskemaw.com/

check these out........my buddy has one and he is deadly out to 800 yards.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Would love to hear about the ammo. What's a good way to contact you?
cledus6150
AG
You can pm me on here
texrover91
AG
Eurooptic actually had a demo SHV for under $900 this week but I think it's gone already

I think ghet might have an NXS still available
PFG
AG
Gonna toss the Bushnell LRHS in the mix. Love mine Bc it's so repeatable. I click for elevation and hold for wind (reticle). These clips put the CDS system to shame.

CDS is probably good to go for hunting, but I found it lacked the return to zero and the precision needed for LR shooting.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've read a lot about the bushnell but I have a sour taste in my mouth due to the quality of the earlier stuff. I guess this is totally different?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I've read a lot about the bushnell but I have a sour taste in my mouth due to the quality of the earlier stuff. I guess this is totally different?
Bushnell's top end stuff is great.
O.G.
All due respect, and I say this having guided free ranging Audad in west TX on places where fences and visible property lines are non-existent (100+ Sections).

A 6.5 Creedmoor may not be enough gun for 400+yd shots on an Audad. (I know, I know: Insert ballistics charts and "I killed Antelope in NM with one, here) but I have seen those animals take a lot of punishment and the wind out there never lets up.

In the hill country on a 200 acre place with good fences, sure, I would say go for it, even at 300yds+, as long as you know that animal can't leave the ranch you are on. Out in the wilderness? I would recommend something else. Just MHO.

Edit: I fully realize you are asking about glass here, not a gun caliber. So, I apologize in advance if I'm stepping on toes.
PFG
AG
It's got a TON of LR features for thr price. And to my knowledge, George Gardner @ GAP helped with development. It's geared to the LR shooter/hunter:

Capped windage
Zero lock elevation
Side parallax knob
Easy to use reticle
FFP

I'd say the only knock is the glass might not be on par with a high end Leupold. My VX6 is pretty darn good. But the LRHS glass, IMO, compares well with the VX3 line, just with a ton more features useful to LR shooting.

When I say it returns to zero, I mean dead nuts. Like, shoot a hole at paper at 100, click to 600 gong, click back to zero and touch the first shot.
PFG
AG
Quote:

and the wind out there never lets up.

I know this isn't a caliber debate, but you just made an even stronger case for the 6.5. I'm guessing your in the mag family (7s and 300s), and if so...go take a peak wind drift numbers between those and the 6.5.

It's not a magical round, but of all places, it shines in the wind.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not disagreeing with you but I have seen 280lbers bite the dust with a .243 and 22-250. Also had a guy shoot 3 with a .264 last week.

I shoot about 3-5 of these a year with a .270 and most of the time I don't care if I recover them (though I almost always do). It's merely population control.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Wow! Good to know
O.G.
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Not disagreeing with you but I have seen 280lbers bite the dust with a .243 and 22-250. Also had a guy shoot 3 with a .264 last week.

I shoot about 3-5 of these a year with a .270 and most of the time I don't care if I recover them (though I almost always do). It's merely population control.

I actually love the .264 I have several friends that have them and its on my list.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This is what I am looking to do (make this shot - video from a few years back):

arrow
AG
I put a Nightforce SHV on my .260 and I think it really performs well at the $1k price range. Based on my own research and reading reviews, I'd also consider the Bushnell LRHS as well as the new Sig Whiskey 5. FWIW, I think it's likely that all three of those scopes are made in the same Japanese factory. I can't confirm that though.

Since you are a Leupold guy (I like Leupold too), the new VX-5 may fit nicely. Leupold just frustrates me with their reticle options. Seriously, no TMOA for the VX-5. (Maybe the custom shop would do it.)
texrover91
AG
Yeah they are likely #2 with competitive shooters right now behind Schmidt
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'll second the Sightron suggestion, they will give you a lot of scope for that money.

I will also throw the SWFA 3-15x42 FFP out there, should be able to get it under $800 on black friday with accessories, and it is a great compact repeatable scope.

If low light is your highest priority maybe check out the vx3 in 4.5-14x56. The half moon objective seems janky but I have a vx-7 with it and it is a low light sumbich
FrontPorchAg
TheEyeGuy said:

I'll hook you up on either the Rudolph or Leupold. Just let me know what you want
Dude, you prey on us like a crack dealer
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
FrontPorchAg
ttha_aggie_09 said:

This is what I am looking to do (make this shot - video from a few years back):

What's the distance on that shot?

I'm comfortable out to 400yds with my Leopold 3-14x 50mm
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Dude, you prey on us like a crack dealer
I love you guys though!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
My range finders max out 440 and he was at least 600, maybe more.
ttha_aggie_09
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.