Outdoors
Sponsored by

Replacing Ball Joints

1,799 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MouthBQ98
RO519
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On a 2011 Silverado 1500. Control arm and lower ball joint. How tough of a job is it? One day?
SanAntoneAg
AG
I recently had this done on my 2010 Sierra 1500. I took it to the mechanic.
Gig 'em! '90
RO519
AG
That's what I am trying to avoid. I'm a cheap azz and think I can do it.

How much did it cost?
helloag99
Post on the auto board

They are very helpful
SanAntoneAg
AG
$1100-$1200. Essentially the same price was quoted to me by two mechanics that I've used in the past. Moog parts.
Gig 'em! '90
FishingAggie
Simple job. upper control arm will have the ball
Joint. About $50 on rockauto for moog. Their moog off brand is less. Ball joint is $10-$20

Should be two hours labor by a terrible mechanic. Honest guy will be 1-1/2 hours.

If you spend more than $200 on labor you got screwed.

Get the parts yourself. Pay the labor or do it yourself

DifferenceMaker Ag
What others have said, except that most shops will not replace parts that you have supplied. I have had good luck buying parts and having a mobile mechanic do the work. The reputable ones will give you a quote over the phone.
76Ag
AG
You will need a socket wrench, a drill or drill press and a tool to wedge the ball joint out. I have done this twice but that was years ago. The parts were riveted to the control arms and had to be drilled out. The fork tool will separate the ball joint. I rented or borrowed a press to force the joint halves into the control arm. I was much younger then. Now I would just nut up and have a mechanic I trust do the job.
CTGilley
AG
RO519 said:

On a 2011 Silverado 1500. Control arm and lower ball joint. How tough of a job is it? One day?
I did it a couple months ago on mine. You can borrow the ball joint press from Auto Zone. Ball joints are cheap and if you have never done it will take a while.

4x4 is a little tough because you need to get the drive shaft out of the way. Check you wheel bearing because you will be taking them off to get to it. Air and an impact is a must. The ball joint is easy. Removing the wheel bearing was the longest part. Be sure to have the grease cert in the right location when you put it in. Also check alignment afterwards but it should not change.

If you are mechanically inclined at all do not pay to have it done. It is cheap to do yourself but a lot of cussing if you are like me.

You can PM me or have my contact information if you need help. Heck if you are in B/CS you can do it in my driveway this weekend.
Todd 02
AG
ghollow
AG
I have done this several times. O'reillys auto will loan you a kit that has all of the special tools you need to replace ball joints, control arms, etc. Makes it a lot easier and it is free although you have to leave a deposit until you return them.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Signel
AG
Harbor Freight has the ball joint tool.. It should work for your truck. Maybe someone around here has used it.
MouthBQ98
AG
Put pressure on it with a big crowbar then smack the side of the ball joint with a 4lb hammer and it will just pop out.
Duncan Idaho
76Ag said:

You will need a socket wrench, a drill or drill press and a tool to wedge the ball joint out. I have done this twice but that was years ago. The parts were riveted to the control arms and had to be drilled out. The fork tool will separate the ball joint. I rented or borrowed a press to force the joint halves into the control arm. I was much younger then. Now I would just nut up and have a mechanic I trust do the job.

Or two hammers. Just smack the control arm between two hammers and the ball joint will pop out.

birddog7000
AG
I've used the hell out of my 1982 American made ball joints...guess I must be doing something right cause they haven't ever given me any troubles!
RO519
AG
ghollow said:

I have done this several times. O'reillys auto will loan you a kit that has all of the special tools you need to replace ball joints, control arms, etc. Makes it a lot easier and it is free although you have to leave a deposit until you return them.
Did you buy parts from O'reillys?
CTGilley
AG
RO519 said:

ghollow said:

I did not. They have lots of tools for loan with deposit.
ghollow
AG
RO519 said:

ghollow said:

Yes, I got my replacement parts and the tools at the same time. Returned the tools the next day a got my deposit back. I think Auto Zone does the same thing.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
MouthBQ98
AG
Femurs or humeri?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.