Outdoors
Sponsored by

Knife making

860 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Doc Hayworth
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm working on my first knife from a kit. I got it for father's day and it's been sitting behind new house projects. Got the scales epoxied on and have a good bit of micarta material to remove to get them in shape around the tang. I think in a full custom knife I'd reshape with a bandsaw; alas, it's a kit.

What is the best tool to remove micarta in the range of 1/4-3/4 inches. The kit says to use a rasp. That's gonna be a beating.
JR69
AG
I use a belt sander.
normaleagle05
AG
I thought that might be the prevailing response. I have a random orbit that got it going but it's still a bear to take off much material.

Thanks for the reply.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
JR69 said:

I use a belt sander.

This...

What you use depends on how much you value your time. You can pick up a small 1x42 belt sander for pretty cheap. I went off the deep end a couple years ago and bought a 2x72 with a VFD. If you get serious about making knives I highly recommend getting the best grinder you can afford.
normaleagle05
AG
Classic Texags OB. Up your budget. Don't worry, I'm sure it's coming down the line!

In the mean time it's random orbit and rasp.

Thanks guys!
Doc Hayworth
A 1x30 or 1x42 belt sander with 50 grit would make quick work of micarta. I use the 1x30 on all types of wood with no problems. Micarta is easier to sand than hard woods.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.