Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anything Illegal about raffling off a firearm?

1,126 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by skelso
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Putting on an event for my company. Looking to raffle off a new shotgun (raffle tickets are given to each in attendance. They're not being sold). Is there anything that I need to be concerned about from a legal perspective? I think i have to transfer the gun at an FFL, correct?
Aggieangler93
AG
I'm not sure how sticky this would be for a private company to do.

We do these with our CCA Chapter, but we pay for the gun, and the gun store maintains ownership (thus no FFL), until the winner comes to claim their prize, and then they complete the transfer to them.

I guess if you could find a local gun dealer willing to do that, it might work. Are you wanting to have the gun on-site when you raffle it, or could you display pics of it, and give directions to the FFL?

I am sure someone on here will know more than me on it.

Probably eyeguy.....

If you want to have it on site, I guess that means transferring it to you, and then to them, when they win it? I guess you could do the second one with just a bill of sale. I think that would be legal in Texas, but again, I don't even play a lawyer on TV....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
redass1876
AG
Are proceeds going to company, charity, you?
Woods Ag
AG
There are no proceeds. We're paying for everything and not collecting any money.
DriftwoodAg
AG
*reread it, it sounds like you are doing a door prize. That would probably be legal. Raffles are tricky
CenterHillAg
AG
Has the gun already been purchased? We've always bought a gift card to a gun shop that's worth the value of a gun, and tell the winner they won the gun or a store credit if they want something different.
hillcountryag86
AG
I just donated a Kimber rifle to a volunteer fire department and they raffled it. I kept gun. Winner came by and I ran a background and transferred the rifle.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
We do a good chunk of stuff for charities. Basically, they buy the product and leave it at store then it's either picked up or shipped out from here.
skelso
AG
Here's ATFs answer on the matter:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-may-licensee-participate-raffling-firearms-unlicensed-organization
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.