Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dead refrigerators can be outside

1,860 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by carpe vinum
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have refrigerator that bit the dust when my house flooded thanks to our friend Harvey. I only got 3" of water in the house, but apparently every single component that makes the fridge get cold is on the bottom of the fridge only 1" off the ground, so it's super dead. Had an appliance repair man that i trust take a look at it, and he quoted me $1100-1200 to fix it. For that price, we just decided to buy a whole new fridge.

So now i have a fridge box to do something with and was wondering if yall had any fun or creative ideas of what to do with it. It's stainless steel front and only about 1.5 years old, so the body of the fridge is still in great condition and looks nice.

Serious and typical OB answers welcome.
Mathguy64
AG
Somewhere there is a video of an idiot who supposedly packed one full of tannerite (I wonder if it was something else?) shot at it and damn near killed himself when the door flew at him.

Make sure to film it and post it here.
The Wonderer
AG
mathguy86 said:

Somewhere there is a video of an idiot who supposedly packed one full of tannerite (I wonder if it was something else?) shot at it and damn near killed himself when the door flew at him.

Make sure to film it and post it here.
will.mcg
AG
Tool storage cabinet in garage.
Mathguy64
AG
Yep. That's the video. But unlike that I don't want OP to fake it. I want to see it for real.
AgySkeet06
AG
We had some old ones (chest type) we took out to the deer lease. they were good to store bags of deer corn in between trips/hunts with no worry about rats and other critters getting to them
The Fife
Take the panels/doors off and list them for sale. Someone will buy them to replace their damaged ones.
hurricanejake02
AG
Gut it and hide a small gun safe inside the shell.
munch96
AG
Turn it into an smoker
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Put it on the curb with a for sale sign and wait for someone to take it and be done with it. Nothing screams white trash like discarded appliances and toilets in the yard.
Astrobo
AG
munch96 said:

Turn it into an smoker
And place in on your front porch.
MROD92
My grandfather had one on it's side in the pasture full of manure. Had all his earthworms for fishing in there
drummer0415
AG
munch96 said:

Turn it into an smoker

If it were a commercial model that was all metal inside, I would definitely do that. But it's all plastic inside. I would have to build metal boxes inside of it. Still not a bad idea, but not as easy as it sounds.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Put it on the curb with a for sale sign and wait for someone to take it and be done with it. Nothing screams white trash like discarded appliances and toilets in the yard.
Dishwasher tried to burn my house in Beeville down when the folks went to check on the place post-Harvey. I was working in the middle of nowhere West Texas. Ironically I was glad about this since the house was about to go on the market and last thing I needed was an inspector to find the problem or worse yet fire it up, then leave while it tried to finish a cycle.

I got back to Houston, ran to Beeville, and replaced the unit. Stuck the old one on the curb at mom & dad's house for heavy trash. Except I forgot it was Columbus day and no trash service. It was gone by 10am.
AggieChemist
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Pro tip: I once picked up a fridge out at the curb with a "FREE" sign on it and hauled it home to make a kegerator out of it. When I got it home, I found out it didn't work. So I hauled it back and put it right back where I found it a couple days later. I just added, "DOESN'T WORK" to the sign.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I took an old ugly orange chair to goodwill when I graduated. Goodwill said they didn't want it. I told them that if they didn't take it I was going to throw it on their curb that night. The lady changed her mind and we put it inside.
Knucklesammich
MROD92 said:

My grandfather had one on it's side in the pasture full of manure. Had all his earthworms for fishing in there

That's a great idea...have an old dead fridge in the garage I was going to put on the curb but just might do this instead.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Have seen people store welding rods in them to keep them dry.
Jack Burton
AG
I've been thinking about doing this with an old fridge I have in my barn:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mancavemaster.net/now-turn-an-old-fridge-into-an-ice-chest-in-7-easy-steps/amp/
carpe vinum
AG
Brush Country Ag said:

Have seen people store welding rods in them to keep them dry.
yep
carpe vinum
AG
I would also ask how much your guy could rig up the frig with old cheap stuff just to get it cold for a beer frig in the garage.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.