Outdoors
Sponsored by

Piney Woods question (trees are outside)

1,446 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oogway
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I got to spend a little time tramping around the Piney Woods this weekend and I got to wondering about the historical makeup of most of the forest.

Basically, I know pines would have been the most prevalent type of trees in the area but going back say 100-150 years would the same have been true to the same extent it is today? Meaning, was there more diversity of tree types back before timber companies came in and clear cut places and replanted nothing but pine trees? Or would there have been a lot more hardwoods outside the bottoms, and so forth.
CS78
I'm sure there was more diversity but I don't know how much more. The vast majority of virgin timber logging in east TX and western La was pine so it must have been at least similar to today. I believe some of the areas of Kisatchie and Sam Houston National forest have never been logged if you need a visual.
OldCamp
The extent of pines vs hardwoods would have been pretty similar, but there would have been a few more "mixed" woods where pines have been planted now.

The extent of the overall forest may have been a little greater. A lot of the forest has been converted to agricultural land.
If you go back several hundred years the forest would have extended all the way to the Colorado river. As our climate became drier the trees retreated east. The lost pines of Bastrop are a reminder of that expansive forest.

Pine diversity would have been about the same. There were pockets of pure short leaf pine in the north east and longleaf in the south east and those are still there but have been predominantly replaced by plantation loblolly pine. Hardwood diversity may be a little greater now with the absence of american Chestnutt as a competitor.

What we really lack is an old growth, fire maintained, upland Savannah system. Instead, we have thickets of pine plantation monocultures.

The real loser in terms of diversity has been herbaceous understory species such as the prairie grasses and cane.

There are NO virgin forest in East Texas that I'm aware of. There some nice old growth stands here and there but no untouched or virgin stands.

Finn Maccumhail
AG

Thanks PineTreeAg for telling us the fate of your evergreen brethren.

Seriously though, I was just wandering about and wondering what it looked like 150 years ago (or longer).
aggiedent
AG
Most of the long leaf pine that has been cut in east Texas has been replaced by loblolly for commercial reasons. The loss of long leaf pine has had quite on impact on various species of animal. Perhaps none more notable than the rare red-cockaded woodpecker. If you want to see an awesome picture of what a virgin long leaf forest looked like, there is a great picture that is in my FIL's book, Paddling The Wild Neches. Shows an old doctor in a horse and buggy. Almost no undergrowth with wide spacing between the trees. Circa late 1800s.
MemphisAg1
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Thanks PineTreeAg for telling us the fate of your evergreen brethren.

Seriously though, I was just wandering about and wondering what it looked like 150 years ago (or longer).
150 years ago, much of the upland Southern forest was cleared and converted into cotton fields. Cotton was King back in those days.

A lot of the national forests in Texas were previously cut-over thickets or abandoned farmland that the Feds acquired in the 1930's when landowners couldn't pay their taxes during the Great Depression.

People look at it today (a mature forest) and think it's always been that way, but that's not the case. Mankind has touched and disturbed the landscape for centuries, and Mother Nature heals up relatively quickly if left to itself.
spud1910
AG
Would love to have seen the woods in those days. As a boy growing up, my grandfather and his friend told me about their grandfather's that arrived in East Texas in the mid 1800's. They were able to ride a horse at a full gallop through the bottoms that they were clearing for cotton and sugar cane.
IDAGG
AG
spud1910 said:

Would love to have seen the woods in those days. As a boy growing up, my grandfather and his friend told me about their grandfather's that arrived in East Texas in the mid 1800's. They were able to ride a horse at a full gallop through the bottoms that they were clearing for cotton and sugar cane.
I have read this before that the virgin southern pine forests had trees large enough that there wasn't a lot of underbrush and a man could easily ride a horse through the forests.
OldCamp
Quote:

A lot of the national forests in Texas were previously cut-over thickets or abandoned farmland that the Feds acquired in the 1930's when landowners couldn't pay their taxes during the Great Depression.
Most of the land that became southern national forest was cut over timber company land. Once the timber was cut out, the land was worthless to them and was placed on the market.

The problem was that the south was left in an ecological night mare after the timber boom. There were no "best practices" at the time. Silviculture and forestry were in their infancy. Even if the timber companies had been interested in re-planting, the knowledge or the nurseries weren't there. By the time the forest was cut out, not only was one of the largest employment sectors in the South coming to an end, but the south was left without one if its most valuable resources. The surplus of land on the market from the timber companies drove down land values leaving people with their most valuable asset highly diluted in value. All of this was going on during the great depression so people were already in hard times.

The solution was the acquisition of the land by the federal government. All the land was purchased from willing sellers after negotiating a price.
Immediately, the CCC began employing people for the purpose of re-planting under the New Deal. The goal was to create a perpetual and sustainable forest managed for multiple uses, one of which was to provide the nation with a future crop of timber to be harvested. The land became an experimental testing ground for the national forest service to learn and practice new ideas of forestry.

The state of Texas went through a very similar cycle and there are a handful of State Forest that you can visit today as well.

If you want to know more, check the Texas A&M Forest Service's Centennial page. It is a really incredible story.
http://tfsweb.tamu.edu/history/

There are some incredible historical photos of early Texas forest and forestry on that site found here:
https://edocs.tamu.edu/TAMUS-TFS/

Finn Maccumhail
Oogway
Wow! Thanks for posting that link. The pic from ~1910 with the East Texas woods and the man (for perspective) was really cool. I have seen photos from when a large part of Wisconsin was cleared by the lumberjacks (both before and after) and it is amazing how big some of the trees were.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.