Outdoors
Sponsored by

Special note on losing a weapon

5,142 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Marauder Blue 6
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't want this to be lost in the active thread, especially since some are calling for its removal.

I just wanted to make a request that folks try not to be so judgemental. We're all human, we've all done monumentally stupid crap....or we will at some point.

Most of all, I'd like to remind everyone that, as Aggies, we don't have much room to talk. One of the favorite traditions of A&M revolves around a weapon that was lost in the 40s and found again in the 1970s. And it's a little bigger than an XDs.

Centerpole90
AG
Government waste is nothing new.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Lots of folks around here seem to think the entire purpose of TexAgs is to be judgmental . . .

The Fife
There's supposed to be two teas, not one!
aggiedent
AG
Come on OP..................it's like some sketch comedy.

Lose gun...................in a crapper.........................in a place where you are not suppose to carry.......................................get worried about the legal ramifications..........................but instead of contacting a lawyer...................... you put it on a social media site.

It's priceless!!!!!
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
aggiedent said:

Come on OP..................it's like some sketch comedy.

Lose gun...................in a crapper.........................in a place where you are not suppose to carry.......................................get worried about the legal ramifications..........................but instead of contacting a lawyer...................... you put it on a social media site.

It's priceless TexAgs!!!!!
FIFY
chiken
AG
another way to view it:

made a mistake, realized magnitude of mistake but didn't know what to expect, went to OB board 'cause OB knows stuff.

Some things really are innocuous as they seem.
Spotted Ag
AG
Am I the only one that read that thread and shook my head every time somebody assumed the OP was a man? The OP said "a woman turned it into the manager". I mean, I know some people like to use the restroom of their choice but come on folks. Attention to detail.

Also, the OP has my sympathy. It happens.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2614446
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
toolshed
AG
chiken said:

another way to view it:

made a mistake, realized magnitude of mistake but didn't know what to expect, went to OB board 'cause OB knows stuff.

My thoughts exactly. His mistake was assuming the Outdoor Board might actually have attorneys or law officers that could give factual, law based advice, vs just assuming the facts, that it's a 30.06 establishment, that he's an idiot, that he's going to be in jail in 24 hours, or be tracked down by law enforcement (heck, Houston PD can't get rape kits from 10 years ago processed and actually put serial rapists away!!), or that he wiped his butt. I understand this is the keyboard warrior, Monday morning quarterback venue, but the reality is, most of us have done something mindless, for one reason or another, and are too emabarassed to admit it.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Most of us lost all of our guns long ago in a boating accident.

Apparently THAT just wasn't good enough for one of our fine contributors. Just had to go and one-up the rest of us!
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
I'm a lawyer but didn't get a chance to comment before it was locked. If it were me, I'd have gone back as soon as I realized it was gone and picked the gun up. Although I'm usually the first to say "call a lawyer," in that particular situation I don't really see a need for it. What are you better off doing in the case of a simple (and not uncommon) mistake, lawyering up or admitting the mistake and trying to fix it as quickly as possible? Easy call in my book.
CanyonAg77
AG
Spotted Ag said:

Am I the only one that read that thread and shook my head every time somebody assumed the OP was a man?
Yes. As many said, Starbucks doesn't assume your gender, and the bathrooms are unisex single stalls. My other favorite thing was everone assuming that Starbucks was 30.06, when there is no evidence of that. I don't go to SB, but Google tells me that they "request" you not carry there, but I don't think they actually put up 30.06 signs.
lawless89
chiken said:

another way to view it:

^^This is why I posted it.

Here's my update.

After sleeping on it, I decided it was best to just own up to my mistake and do what I could to retrieve my gun. I went to the SB this morning and there's no 30.06 or 30.07 signs posted.

I spoke with the manager who happened to be the one on duty and she said that the lady who found it was a little shaken up, but other than that it was all good. I apologized and she understood things happen and wasn't upset in the least bit.

I called the Dallas PD and they referred me to the property room to retrieve and I picked up my gun without any issue. This was a stressful lesson learned by me and hopefully it'll help someone here in the future to always double and triple check.

Two more things.

1. If you haven't ever taken a dump in a SB restroom then you're missing out because they are usually pretty nice and private.

2. Yes, I wiped.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Thanks for the update.
CTGilley
AG
Thank you. Could staff post the update on the locked thread?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

I spoke with the manager who happened to be the one on duty and she said that the lady who found it was a little shaken up, but other than that it was all good. I apologized and she understood things happen and wasn't upset in the least bit.
What a society we have become that the mere sight of a holstered firearm sitting on a shelf gives some folks the vapors.

Glad things are not as dire as some posters were making it out to seem. Looks like common sense will prevail.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
tbone421998
AG
CTGilley said:

Thank you. Could staff post the update on the locked thread?
+1.
EFE
AG
Thanks for clearing up #2. I was willing to let the forgetfulness slide, but the gungy butt thing is where I started to judge you.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Quote:

What a society we have become that the mere sight of a holstered firearm sitting on a shelf gives some folks the vapors.

Glad things are not as dire as some posters were making it out to seem. Looks like common sense will prevail.
I mean, if I was sitting on the John minding my own business and looked over to see a gun sitting next to me - with no context or idea why it was there - I think it might give me some pause. I wouldn't be "shaken up," but then that term is so ambiguous as to be meaningless anyway.

Besides, I can imagine the OB thread on it - "You'll never believe what I found in a Starbucks bathroom!" 5 pages, minimum.
toolshed
AG
lawless89 said:

chiken said:

another way to view it:

^^This is why I posted it.

Here's my update.

After sleeping on it, I decided it was best to just own up to my mistake and do what I could to retrieve my gun. I went to the SB this morning and there's no 30.06 or 30.07 signs posted.

I called the Dallas PD and they referred me to the property room to retrieve and I picked up my gun without any issue. This was a stressful lesson learned by me and hopefully it'll help someone here in the future to always double and triple check.

Two more things.

1. If you haven't ever taken a dump in a SB restroom then you're missing out because they are usually pretty nice and private.

2. Yes, I wiped.

Lies...all lies!! He's in DPD lockup right now, backside to a corner, crying for his mommy!! Swat probably staked out the Starbucks, tackled him as he entered the building, confiscated his CHL license, tased him for good measure, and threw him in with the worst of the worst, bypassing general population. This is definitely the last we will ever hear from him!! Glad we got rid of that bottom feeding mouth breather!!
schmellba99
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Quote:

Just look at the hand wringing, a lot of it from "I support 2A" types, when Texas had the OC legislation open for debate.
AggieChemist
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Thanks for clearing up #2.
Lit-rally.

Duck Blind
AG
Great to hear it worked out for the best all the way around.
Spotted Ag
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Quote:

I mean, if I was sitting on the John minding my own business and looked over to see a gun sitting next to me - with no context or idea why it was there - I think it might give me some pause. I wouldn't be "shaken up," but then that term is so ambiguous as to be meaningless anyway.

Besides, I can imagine the OB thread on it - "You'll never believe what I found in a Starbucks bathroom!" 5 pages, minimum.
Shoot, if it was me, I'd be all like, YES!!! JACKPOT!!! Quietly of course.
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Shoot, if it was me, I'd be all like, YES!!! JACKPOT!!! Quietly of course.
I'd be more worried about hearing this shouted in an adjacent stall than I was about a free gun.
TexasAggie_02
lawless89
Also, the officer called me because he had to authorize the release. He said this type of thing happens all the time and he knew exactly what happened when he saw I had the sticky holster. Wasn't upset at all and completely understood how it could've happened.
will.mcg
AG
Somewhat related....my "new" neighbors have lived in the home for about six months this week. They recently had AC issues & looked a bit closer at their AC closet & found a rifle & handgun stashed next to the unit in the dark. Obviously the "right" thing to do would be to try to contact the previous owner. But, maybe I should cross post on the real estate board, did he "buy" this "contents" when he purchased this home?
AgySkeet06
AG
lawless89 said:

Also, the officer called me because he had to authorize the release. He said this type of thing happens all the time and he knew exactly what happened when he saw I had the sticky holster. Wasn't upset at all and completely understood how it could've happened.

SECeded
IDAGG
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

I mean, if I was sitting on the John minding my own business and looked over to see a gun sitting next to me - with no context or idea why it was there - I think it might give me some pause.

Kinda like Butch finding Vincent Vega's MAC 10 on the counter. At least the OP didn't leave his piece out on a table in the SB.
CTGilley
AG
will.mcg said:

Somewhat related....my "new" neighbors have lived in the home for about six months this week. They recently had AC issues & looked a bit closer at their AC closet & found a rifle & handgun stashed next to the unit in the dark. Obviously the "right" thing to do would be to try to contact the previous owner. But, maybe I should cross post on the real estate board, did he "buy" this "contents" when he purchased this home?
This needs its own thread.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Because cops never wipe?
will.mcg
AG
Y'all are OCD but I will defer to proper TexAgs etiquette.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for the update OP. Glad it worked out. I posted on page 1 of the original thread. Never checked back. Why'd it get locked....other than this is TexAgs.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.