Outdoors
Sponsored by

Catching critters in a live trap

2,379 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Papa_Blaze
BurrOak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I live roughly out in the country on 15 acres. There is no shortage of wildlife here. Lately there's been some critter(s) digging up my lawn. I have a double door Havahart live trap that's probably 12"x12"x 36". Had it since I was a kid and have trapped numerous coons, possums, skunks, housecats, etc over the years. So far I've caught 1 possum and my neighbors cat, but the problem still persists. I did catch something a week or so ago, maybe a large coon, but it pryed one of the doors open and got out, and had destroyed the ground underneath and around the perimeter of the trap. It's not exactly the best trap.

I worked late this evening and got home around 9. I pulled in my driveway and could see that my trap was tripped. I took a mental note and went in and ate dinner, poured a drink, started watching MNF, and mostly just forgot about the trap. After awhile I remembered, grabbed a light and shined it out the back door where the trap usually sits, and the trap is not there. I walk out, and the trap had moved about 20 yards from where it was from when I saw it when I got home, and it's also laying upside down with a door busted open.

Time for bigger, heavier duty trap!
lawless89
Or the bobcat beat you to checking on the trap.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Never underestimate the intelligence or relentless effort of a raccoon
Sean98
AG
BurrOak said:

and had destroyed the ground underneath and around the perimeter of the trap.
This exactly describes the actions of a raccoon caught in a live trap. They will reach out and grab anything/everything. Almost anything else you catch in a trap will sit meekly. A coon? Not so much.
BurrOak
AG
Should I have said opossums as well?
ursusguy
AG
Digging up your yard is probably an armadillo.

Going ape sh-- in the trap, yep raccoon.
BurrOak
AG
This is the 2nd time the lawn digging thing has occurred. Figured it was armadillo the first time, until I walked out one night and caught a skunk digging in my lawn. Killed 4 of the perpetrators shortly thereafter and had no problems for quite awhile. Here we are again.

Maybe I'll set out a game cam.
Sean98
AG
BurrOak said:

Should I have said opossums as well?

No. For the most part they'll just sit there meekly, waiting for you to release them, or release them into that sweet beyond.
mpl35
AG
Sean98 said:

BurrOak said:

This exactly describes the actions of a raccoon caught in a live trap. They will reach out and grab anything/everything. Almost anything else you catch in a trap will sit meekly. A coon? Not so much.
yep. Caught hundreds of them and each one does it. If you leave them long enough you'll get a couple of inches of dirt built up in the trap.
ursusguy
AG
Either way, treat your yard for grubs.
SteveBott
AG
ursusguy said:

Either way, treat your yard for grubs.

Dammit I spit my drink.
SteveBott
AG
And yes do treat for grubs before the pigs show up. Buddy just sent pics of his yard in the country. Total loss. One night.
MizooAg94
AG
To set that trap dig a small bait hole. Place bait in hole then trap over the bait. Use large tent spikes to hold trap in place. Dillos are near impossible but you could try nightcrawlers....but yup, spray for grubs. Anything tou trap should be killed, not moved.

Also, when we have a dillo problem if you go out in the evening, many times they will be out and you can shoot them with BB or buckshot. You can also spot them with a flashlight as well. A helper is useful.
dodger02
AG
We had a bad raccoon problem when I lived outside of town. Suckers used to sit outside the back porch door and just stare inside at us at night while we watched TV. Creepy.

So, my FIL came over and set out a trap...right on top of a sprinkler head.

While I was at work, my wife woke up one morning to a giant raccoon soaking wet and REALLY pissed off in the trap. The rotary sprinkler popped up right under his butt and sprayed him for an hour.
ursusguy
Toothdoc86
AG
Best bait for an armadillo is a 1/2 peeled banana. I didn't believe it either until I tried it. Works great!
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
dodger02 said:

We had a bad raccoon problem when I lived outside of town. Suckers used to sit outside the back porch door and just stare inside at us at night while we watched TV. Creepy.

So, my FIL came over and set out a trap...right on top of a sprinkler head.

While I was at work, my wife woke up one morning to a giant raccoon soaking wet and REALLY pissed off in the trap. The rotary sprinkler popped up right under his butt and sprayed him for an hour.
AAAAAAnd... I have a goal for next time I head to the ranch.
dtkprowler
AG
Sean98 said:

BurrOak said:

I worked at a feed store in high school that had a long history of raccoons going in at night and tearing up a few sacks of feed. Well I got the bright idea to set a live trap. Instead of putting it out in the middle of the floor, I decide it would be a good idea to disguise it next to a whole pallet of creep feed. RIGHT NEXT to it. Needless to say, when we came in the next morning, the raccoon has destroyed the entire side of the 2 ton pallet of feed. Instead of ripping into the one or two bags he probably would have, since he was trapped, he tore apart 18 bags. Pretty impressive for such a small creature in a metal cage.
EFE
AG
I'd probably wait to do that at the ranch as well, the neighbors would likely talk about it if you did it in town.
AggieCowboy
AG
Wait till dark put bright light on your riding mower and run 'em down

"I'm sayin' son you'll see me searchin'; sizzlin' down that broad highway
Dollar signs in both my eyes, I'm seekin' out my prey
I'm prayin', "Jesus, will you send me just another three or four?"
They pay two-fifty down in Hallettsville, 3 dollars, maybe more"

Kenneth_2003
AG
Bet you're boss was real proud of your catch...
dtkprowler
AG
Yeah, I ended up paying for that. My $5.50 an hr paycheck didn't enjoy that very much...
Furlock Bones
AG
too bad your neighbor has cats that come around. otherwise, a duke dog proof raccoon trap would be in order.
Papa_Blaze
AG
Speaking of raccoons. I have hundreds of trail cam pics of a raccoon and hog team. Each time this raccoon ( I assume he's the same guy every time) shows up, his hog buddy does too. The raccoon climbs my feeder leg then jumps to the varmint cage, sticks his little arm in and spins the plate. He gets some and what he drops his buddy gets. When they had enough, both leave together. They show up night after night, pretty entertaining to see. My fiance is now attached has named them Timon and Pumbaa....great
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.