Outdoors
Sponsored by

Weekend out West

1,628 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dave99ag
Blue Duck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I got to go out and take place in a game survey on a ranch in west Texas this weekend. I had some time to kill before while I was there so I messed around on the ranch and took some pictures. Cathedral Mountain glows in the morning when the sun catches it just right.

It rained while we were there, that doesn't happen that often so I thought I'd document it.

This is Elephant Mountain. Hopefully one day I'll get a chance to hunt a bighorn sheep on this mountain. I think my odds are around 1 in 5,000 every year so there is a chance.

I hate seeing so many windmills be replaced by solar pumps. There is nothing appealing about a solar panel.

This little guy laid right here for a few thousand years until a buddy and I stumbled up it. Every single time I find an arrowhead it makes me stop and think about who made it, why is it there and what it had it seen in it's life. I don't think I'll ever stop getting excited when I find one.

You don't have to go all the way to Colorado to see some mountains reach the clouds. .

I didn't get to take any photos during the game survey but did get a real good look at a 170+ inch buck, hanging out at a water trough. This isn't him.

CanyonAg77
AG
I hate you.

Seriously jealous....great trip, great find, great photos.
ursusguy
dr_boogs
AG
Awesome photos of a great trip. And from one of my favorite handles anyone will ever think to use to for posting on the OB.

Now all you need to do is find a worn out old ranger, cut his tongue out, an feed it to your wolf pups.
Centerpole90
AG
The life of Blue Duck.
FSGuide
FirefightAg
AG
Very nice photos. I'd like to get there one day.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Where's the picture of the beautiful ***** you stole?
TommyGun
Blue Duck
AG
That's only if he brings that tongue North of the Canadian River!
Ergo97
AG
Nice pics. You have a good eye with the camera. Looking at the arrowhead pics made me feel like I was there.
Blue Duck
AG
Thank you and I highly recommend it. It's a different vibe and experience than a lot of the state, in a good way.
Blue Duck
AG
Thank you!
BurrOak
AG
Excellent pictures. That is my favorite part of Texas.

The one and only badger I've ever seen in the wild was right in front of Elephant Mountain running across 118 as I was headed to Terlingua.
BlueSmoke
Blue Duck
AG
Thank you! I love the fact that you never know what you're gonna see down there. Bears, mountain lions, elk, mulies... it's all there.
AggieOO
great pics.

I was all over that area last week, helping with a music video. Friend of mine was the director and knew I'm a big bend fiend, so he grabbed me to play location scout. We were in marathon, alpine, ft davis, BBNP, boquillas, and pretty much all points in between.

As we were leaving the park to head back to marathon, a Bighorn Sheep ran beside us for probably a tenth of a mile and then crossed the road directly behind us. I've seen them in the area before, but never IN the park.
dave99ag
AG
We have a place just south of Elephant Mountain and were down there this weekend too. All was great until that cold front blew in around 6am on Sunday. A bit windy after that. I don't think the gentlemen at the border patrol checkpoint enjoy those days too much.

Love it out there!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.