Outdoors
Sponsored by

Got Drawn

2,395 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Silky Johnston
ajn142
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just heard back, got drawn for the exotic hunt on the LRGVNWR Teniente unit in February. Anyone done this hunt before? Any advice or pointers?
Tree Hugger
AG
That's one I would love to be drawn for. I hear it is a tough hunt with lots of brush and the nilgai are very skittish and spook easily.
EFE
AG
I've gotten to hunt a field on its southern border a couple times. Find water or look for water outside the refuge and look for trails and latrines.
roynonroy
Archery or gun?
ajn142
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

I've gotten to hunt a field on its southern border a couple times. Find water or look for water outside the refuge and look for trails and latrines.
Your advice mirrors what I've seen in a few other places, so it sounds like pretty good advice to me. What's the field conditions like down there, is it soft sand or something else? Any other pointers you'd pass along, I'm just as interested in knowing the country as the animals, as I never really stopped to pay attention to that the few times I've visited the Valley.
ajn142
AG
roynonroy said:

Archery or gun?
It's the gun hunt, unlimited nilgai and hogs.
DeerHunter
Drop me an email at cprochazka2000 at gmail. I've hunted there a bunch.
EFE
AG
It's sandy, but that area ponds up when we get lots of rain down here. We've had quite a bit of fall rain so we're seeing those conditions now, but are drying up. And usually see some cooler weather mid to late Feb with scattered showers that can be locally heavy enough to fill the dry lakes and ponds up again. PM me before you head down and I'll let you know what to expect as I check fields in that area pretty regularly.
SquirrellyDan
AG
My status says "Pending second draw." What does that mean?
Silky Johnston
I looked at my status and it says I don't have any applications for this year, but I bought 3 and have the email to prove it. Is the system incorrect or did I spend money for nothing? (I realize what the money goes towards but I would have like a shot at winning the hunts I paid for)
Aggiewes
AG
primomosquito said:

This means you were not selected. If someone doesn't pay the permit fee by the deadline, they will have a 2nd draw to fill any unpaid slots. I think payment is due about 2 weeks after the original draw.

Low odds just got astronomically lower.

Wes '87
SquirrellyDan
AG
Aggiewes said:

primomosquito said:

This means you were not selected. If someone doesn't pay the permit fee by the deadline, they will have a 2nd draw to fill any unpaid slots. I think payment is due about 2 weeks after the original draw.

Wes '87
Figured it was something like that. Thanks.
AgEng06
AG
Aggiewes said:

primomosquito said:

This. On my permit, which was drawn on 10/16, I had until 10/25 to purchase the permit. If not, it would have gone back into the pool for the second draw applicants.
BurrOak
AG
Silky Johnston said:

I looked at my status and it says I don't have any applications for this year, but I bought 3 and have the email to prove it. Is the system incorrect or did I spend money for nothing? (I realize what the money goes towards but I would have like a shot at winning the hunts I paid for)
Did you apply for entries into the Big Time Texas Hunts? Or the TPWD draw hunts? The TPWD draw hunts are what is being discussed here. The BTTH will only notify if you if you win.
Silky Johnston
TPWD Hunts
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.