Outdoors
Sponsored by

A little road trip...

1,822 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm meeting two friends North of Minneapolis tomorrow night and we're going to chase ruffed grouse and woodcock (aka timber doodles, aka mudbats) for a few days. They can't arrive until tomorrow night but I have a little more free time. Originally I was planning on leaving last Friday and driving to Saskatchewan "on the way" to chase Huns for a couple of days but with the burglary, and then being in a drought I decided that could wait for another year. So instead I headed to Iowa, stayed with some great friends and caught up a bit, them drifted up to SW Minnesota to see if I could find some pheasants. The season opened Saturday, and I'd be hunting public access ground so my expectations were tempered.

This morning I called a friend that farms in Northern Iowa and he warned me that almost all the crops were still up due to recent rains that have kept combines out of the field. He said reports from the opener were less than stellar...

After grabbing a WIA map at Wally World I hit the road towards some tiny little unknown dots on a map.

Sure enough crops are up everywhere but I found some nice patches of grass just before lunch and put dogs on the ground.

Walk In land, private ground leased for public access is a Godsend in my opinion.

In the first field we found 6 pheasants but only one rooster. ...and he was such a baby rooster they he didn't have all his colors and I couldn't ID him for certain.

The second field didn't look as good and a short walk yielded only a couple of whitetails. Then the third field looked great. Grass and thickets with soybeans on both sides. Sure enough, first thicket and the dogs lock down. A cackle, and I see a rooster pop out the end. BOOM, BOOM, and my first rooster of '17 is in the bag. ...and he might be the youngest rooster I've ever killed. And he's my first ever Minnesota pheasant.

We worked up a few more birds but with only one shooter, and some big grassy thickets the birds kept slipping out the opposite side. But we were consistently finding roosters, if only a few.

One more thicket, I splashed through a "deeper than it appeared" creek in order to chase a birdy dog and was rewarded 50 yards later as a bird rocketed into the sky. One trigger pull and my 2 bird limit was finished.

After that I drove around scouting and hoping to bump into some Partridge, but no dice. Still, no matter where you chase birds the sunset always makes it worth the trip.

Panfish
AG
I'm jealous. Looks like a great day.
Oogway
Beautiful pics, Sean, and glad you had success!

* odd tidbit of useless info: when we lived in Wisconsin, I traded a box of Twinkies and a homecooked meal for a pheasant shot by a friend of ours. Pretty good deal...
Todd 02
AgResearch
AG
Read up on the massive landgrab that is going on in MN to provide those spots for you.
Sean98
AG
Not sure what "land grab" you're referring to but I'm also not from Minnesota ...maybe the mandatory easements on streambank stabilization projects? Either way, all the properties I hunted today are completely privately owned.
ccard257
ursusguy
AG
What burglary?
Sean98
AG
House got burglarized 2 weeks ago. Smash and grab more or less, but I was preparing for a weekend trip to chase prairie chickens so I had a nice pile of hunting gear (including shotguns) staged up just inside the door ready and waiting for the sunsabeeches to just grab and go. My regular pheasant guns are gone much to the delight of communist birds everywhere. ...but my little 20ga does just fine on these wimpy early season Minnesota birds.
ursusguy
AG
Damn, that sucks.
matthewj042
FirefightAg
AG
Nice hunt but you're right that one is wimpy to say the least.
Sean98
AG
2nd verse, same as the first.

Got 10 birds up in the first field and 35 up in the second. Great dog work all around. Going to be warm today so a quick limit was a great thing and gives me an easy travel day.
dubi
AG
Sean98 said:

House got burglarized 2 weeks ago. Smash and grab more or less, but I was preparing for a weekend trip to chase prairie chickens so I had a nice pile of hunting gear (including shotguns) staged up just inside the door ready and waiting for the sunsabeeches to just grab and go. My regular pheasant guns are gone much to the delight of communist birds everywhere. ...but my little 20ga does just fine on these wimpy early season Minnesota birds.

We always think about this when we prepare for a shooting competition the day before. Our decision has been to stage everything by the door except the guns. I am sorry this happened to you.
FirefightAg
AG
Good work. Now it's on to the timber for birds?
Sean98
AG
Yes. Headed NE now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.