Outdoors
Sponsored by

Recommendations on a 9mm Carbine

5,585 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CactusThomas
JTrainsBabyCousin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Want to get a carbine chambered in 9mm to share mags with a 9mm pistol.. I don't have the pistol yet either, but I'm looking for recommendations on a solid carbine.

I know they're probably frowned upon on here, but Hi-Point has some decently priced ones.. probably trash eh.
meggy09
AG
The Hi Point is surprisingly decent, but had proprietary mags, so no sharing with pistol.

Get the Keltec Sub 2000. Takes glock mags.
n_dagley
AG
Just Right Carbine. Takes glock mags.
Caladan
The Beretta CX4 carbine is a wonderful little firearm whose length is just a bit over 30 inches long. They use either model 92 mags (metal) or PX4 mags (poly). You can change the cocking lever and the ejection direction from right to left if needed. Very easy to break down too. IIRC, the regular retail is $699.
maverick2076
Glock 19 and a Sub2K, or a Glock 19 and Palmetto State's AR-9.
JTrainsBabyCousin
The Keltec has been recommended to me by others.. I should look more into it considering it's mentioned a ton.

The fact that it folds in half makes it stand out on it's on.
Naveronski
AG
QuarterCircle10 makes some pretty nice options, and recently started making complete "pistols".
https://www.quartercircle10.com/products/quartercircle10completes/ar15completepistols/ranger-9mm-ar9-pistol-1376.html
(Or just the lower https://www.quartercircle10.com/products/receivers/lower-receivers/glock-small-frame-receiver-blemished.html )

That would pair nicely with a Glock 19.
Strongwind86
AG
Another one for the KelTec Sub2000 using Glock mags.
Sold my Gen 1 and picked up a Gen 2.
Fun little carbine
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
CZ Scorpion Evo is my favorite. I own a Keltec Sub2k but the primary reason is for it to be in a go bag.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Most things that you can do with a 9mm carbine are usually easier accomplished with a 9mm pistol or an actual rifle.

(says the guy who owns a 9mm MP5 clone)

JTrainsBabyCousin
TheEyeGuy said:

CZ Scorpion Evo is my favorite. I own a Keltec Sub2k but the primary reason is for it to be in a go bag.
Would love to hear your input on a the Hi-Point
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Decently well built. To be honest, I was slightly impressed with it. What I don't like is the single stack magazine. 10 rounds? *Yawn*
AgySkeet06
AG
Anyone ever seen/used one of these? Looks easy enough and I already have a twin set of G17
http://mechtechsys.com/glock-carbine-conversion/

There is also this, I think Eyeguy had something similar at one time come through his shop
http://www.glockstore.com/RONI-Civilian-Pistol-Carbine-Conversion-Kit-16-Barrel_2
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
AgySkeet06 said:

Anyone ever seen/used one of these? Looks easy enough and I already have a twin set of G17
http://mechtechsys.com/glock-carbine-conversion/

There is also this, I think Eyeguy had something similar at one time come through his shop
http://www.glockstore.com/RONI-Civilian-Pistol-Carbine-Conversion-Kit-16-Barrel_2

Haven't played with the mechtech... The Roni is still here because I pretty much hate it. Which means I won't try to sell it to someone. Which means it stays on my wall. Which means it pisses me off when i look at it. Every day. But, it's a good conversation starter so there's that.
AgySkeet06
AG
Sooooooo you're saying you will sell it to me for $100 so you dont have to look at it anymore???
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
AgySkeet06 said:

Sooooooo you're saying you will sell it to me for $100 so you dont have to look at it anymore???
I'd do it at $350, which is what I paid for it.
AgySkeet06
AG
Why the hate for it??
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I don't trust the thing will hold a zero. You can push the barrel around inside the housing and it bothers me.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Absolutely love my Scorpion Evo. I'm waiting for the SBR stamp which, once received, will make it the perfect 9mm rifle.
schmellba99
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Most things that you can do with a 9mm carbine are usually easier accomplished with a 9mm pistol or an actual rifle.

The MP5 is still the single best 9mm carbine ever designed IMO. I have a knockoff one as well, and the thing is just a hoot to take out and burn through ammo with. Even better since I SBR'd it, will be about 57x better once I get around to getting another stamp and turning it into an SD model.

Not easy to work on, about the only drawback. But man, they are fun.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Are there different HiPoint carbines? Because I hate the trigger on the one my buddy's dad has. Probably the worst trigger I have ever felt.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
No clue to be honest.
FIDO 96
AG
+2 for Scorpion.
maverick2076
BenderRodriguez said:

I don't completely agree. You can more reliably reach out to those 25-100 yard shots with a PCC than you could with a pistol, while still keeping a shorter overall length than any rifle caliber carbine, especially if you suppress it. My AR-9 SBR has a 4" barrel and still easily makes hits on a 6" circle at 100 yards. Even with my form 1 suppressor, it is still significantly shorter than either my 8.5" .300 BLK with suppressor, or my 10.5" 5.56 AR. Plus, mag and ammo commonality is a nice benefit. I love my PCC's and feel that they definitely have a place in my gun closet.
The Wonderer
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Are there different HiPoint carbines? Because I hate the trigger on the one my buddy's dad has. Probably the worst trigger I have ever felt.
No, they are all the same except for different calibers (9mm, .40, & .45)
The Wonderer
AG
Love my Scorpion Evo 9mm in SBR form.

If you have to match with a pistol, just get something that takes Glock mags. This requirement will severely limit your options, I believe.
BenderRodriguez
AG
schmellba99 said:

The MP5 is still the single best 9mm carbine ever designed IMO.

They're great guns, and I love them.

But the new Scorpions are better guns objectively. It's pure nostalgia that caused me to go the MP5 route.

BenderRodriguez
AG
maverick2076 said:

I don't completely agree. You can more reliably reach out to those 25-100 yard shots with a PCC than you could with a pistol, while still keeping a shorter overall length than any rifle caliber carbine, especially if you suppress it. My AR-9 SBR has a 4" barrel and still easily makes hits on a 6" circle at 100 yards. Even with my form 1 suppressor, it is still significantly shorter than either my 8.5" .300 BLK with suppressor, or my 10.5" 5.56 AR. Plus, mag and ammo commonality is a nice benefit. I love my PCC's and feel that they definitely have a place in my gun closet.

Your thought process is exactly why I got my MP5.

It is smaller than any of my rifles. But a short AR with a law folder is almost as small as an MP5/Scorpion, and brings a lot more punch to the party. I can reliably make hits on a B27 target at 100 yards with my usual carry, my G22 with a red dot.

I'm far more likely to have it on me than be carrying around my MP5 if I needed to make a long shot, and if I had time to retrieve something other than my carry pistol I'd prefer an AR over a pistol caliber carbine.

I totally get why you think it has a niche, and I agree it does fill a gap that neither a pistol or rifle can...I'm just not sure how much of a gap it really is, if that makes sense.

gibberish
AG
schmellba99 said:

I wish more people would use it in USPSA PCC, I would love to see how it faired versus the modern PCCs. Unfortunately I think cost and aftermarket support prevent that from happening.

BenderRodriguez
AG
gibberish said:

schmellba99 said:

I wish more people would use it in USPSA PCC, I would love to see how it faired versus the modern PCCs. Unfortunately I think cost and aftermarket support prevent that from happening.

When I get around to SBRing mine I'll run it in PCC.
maverick2076
BenderRodriguez said:

maverick2076 said:

Your thought process is exactly why I got my MP5.

It is smaller than any of my rifles. But a short AR with a law folder is almost as small as an MP5/Scorpion, and brings a lot more punch to the party. I can reliably make hits on a B27 target at 100 yards with my usual carry, my G22 with a red dot.

I'm far more likely to have it on me than be carrying around my MP5 if I needed to make a long shot, and if I had time to retrieve something other than my carry pistol I'd prefer an AR over a pistol caliber carbine.

I totally get why you think it has a niche, and I agree it does fill a gap that neither a pistol or rifle can...I'm just not sure how much of a gap it really is, if that makes sense.

I don't know of a lot of people who are confident to take shots on a man-sized target at 100 yards with a pistol, and I would still bet any of them are more comfortable doing so with a rifle...especially in a real world application.

I love my PCC for in the house, where it is far shorter and more handy with a suppressor than a rifle caliber SBR. I like it for travelling because it fits in a covert carry bag (doesn't look like a rifle case, loaded and ready to go with the suppressor attached. Alternately, I can fold my Sub2K up and carry it in a laptop bag. Its not as fast to deploy, but it is really discreet. Carrying either one with my Glock means only one kind of spare mag to carry, one kind of ammo to carry, one kind of mag holder to use, etc. I can carry a spare mag for my PCC concealed in my jeans pocket. I can't do that so well with a Pmag.

They don't fit every situation, and in general a full rifle is more effective ballistics-wise, but the right PCC fills a valid defensive role. It wouldn't be the first or even second gun I would buy if I was just starting out, but I wouldn't get rid of it either.
BenderRodriguez
AG
maverick2076 said:

I don't know of a lot of people who are confident to take shots on a man-sized target at 100 yards with a pistol, and I would still bet any of them are more comfortable doing so with a rifle...especially in a real world application.

I'll agree with your second point: It is easier with a rifle, but it is more than doable for a good pistol shooter. I think there are a lot of people who are capable of making the shot but most pistol shooters have never tried to shoot at 100, so you're right that they lack confidence. Since I don't carry a rifle or PCC everywhere, it is nice to know that I am capable of a long shot if I had to take one. I don't take it out to 100 yards every time I go shoot, but I've started trying out free standing shots at 100 with my pistol to end some training sessions. When I first started I was hitting a B-27 silhouette about 30-40% of the time. I'm up to about 70% hit rate on the silhouette, and rarely are any of my missed shots off the paper. A little practice goes a long way for the long shot.

If you haven't tried it, you should. Might surprise yourself.

rllguitar
AG
The hipoint carbine's are kinda ugly... until you do this
schmellba99
AG
gibberish said:

schmellba99 said:

Yeah, the MP5 has always been high on the cost and short on aftermarket parts. Biggest factor is that HK was so stingy with them in the civilian world, and most of the clones were just not well made (Special Weapons/Cohaire Arms - seems like there was another, Ohio Ordinance or something along those lines). Mine is a SW, older model. Generally it is a good gun, but it does have out of spec parts on it - I can't put a collapsible stock on it, found that out the expensive way. Just the nature of the beast with those guns.
The Wonderer
AG
rllguitar said:

The hipoint carbine's are kinda ugly... until you do this
I like that. I'd buy another just to do that and put it alongside my ATI version.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.