Outdoors
Sponsored by

WTB: 5-6' shredder

1,393 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oklaunion
Tom70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to buy a small, low cost, three point shredder to mow some brush in the B/CS area.
Email rockprairieag@gmail.
MouthBQ98
AG
Used or new?
Tom70
AG
Used, in operating condition but doesn't have to be pretty.
Tom70
AG
bump
MouthBQ98
AG
I'd try craigslist first. There are a ton of tractor places with used inventory around central Texas farm and ranch country. Sometimes Paige tractor has used implements. There's a couple of places in Taylor that have a lot of used implements.
f burg ag
AG
I mow about 8 acres and do some light shredding. I recently bought a Big Bee 60" shredder for around $700. It is great for light use. My FIL has been a commercial mower for over 40 years and he swore to me that, for my use, it would be silly spending more money.
SWCBonfire
AG
While I certainly would agree that for most mowing a cheap 3 point will do, the OP mentioned brush.

What size brush, what kind and how much is there of it?
Tom70
AG
I have plenty of brush. Some is pretty heavy yaupon, persimmons and small elm/hackberry. I am looking for an older shredder with a fairly heavy frame that can take a bit of a beating for as long as it will last.
MouthBQ98
AG
Find an old Woods Dixiecutter.
rwv2055
AG
Those are beasts.
SWCBonfire
AG
Then you need to find one that has upgraded gearboxes, spindles, heavy stump jumper, clutch, etc. If you only have a small utility tractor you may not have enough PTO hp.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yep. I have an old 5 footer. The body has been rebuilt once already and in places the plate is rusting apart again around the frame and drive, but it just keeps on chopping. You can run it right through a bunch of yaupon or brush and is makes an awful bunch of noise but chews it right up. I'm going to re-weld some plate around it soon on the sides where it has rusted through but that gearbox could drive a tank.
oklaunion
If you have previously shredded persimmon then you know what to look out for later. If you haven't, your next trip will be like running over a million punji sticks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.