Outdoors
Sponsored by

Palmetto State Armory Opinions

5,229 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. Dubi
Warsteiner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PSA 18" Rifle Length .223 Wylde 1/7 Stainless Steel M-Lok MOE EPT Freedom Rifle - 516447014

I know very little about AR-15s
Whats yalls opinions on their rifles? The one listed is 499.99
maverick2076
I like PSA. I've used a lot of their parts, and I think they are the best bang for the buck in the AR world.
The Wonderer
AG
Love 'em.
OnlyForNow
AG
Bought two complete rifles from them, albeit, not assembled. Really like their stuff.

Their blem lowers are a steal. I've seen one blem that was noticeably 'blemed' but function was 100%, most others are so minor cosmetically most people don't even notice.

MROD92
CactusThomas
AG
That rifle is a great deal. As are most of their AR offerings and pistols as well.
skelso
AG
Good buy. I toured Palmetto's manufacturing facility a while back. While they were reluctant to divulge where they buy theirnparts, I saw an awful lot of boxes with Aero Precision's and Ballistic Advantage'S logos...
BrazosBQ
AG
Got a PSA lower a few years ago, nothing but good things to say about it.
FSGuide
I have 3 PSA AR's. One (8.5" 5.56 pistol) I have never fired because I just picked it up today!
I have another 10" 5.56 pistol and the 3rd is a 16" AR chambered in 7.62x39. They are good guns. I've never blown my face off with them or with my DPMS AR like the LaRue fan boys want you to believe will happen your fist time at the range.

I'm really eyeballing their AR10 lowers and 18" .308 uppers. Might be my Christmas present to myself.
CTGilley
AG
FSGuide said:

I have 3 PSA AR's. One (8.5" 5.56 pistol) I have never fired because I just picked it up today!
I have another 10" 5.56 pistol and the 3rd is a 16" AR chambered in 7.62x39. They are good guns. I've never blown my face off with them or with my DPMS AR like the LaRue fan boys want you to believe will happen your fist time at the range.

I'm really eyeballing their AR10 lowers and 18" .308 uppers. Might be my Christmas present to myself.
How do you like the AR47? It seems like a cheap option over a good AK. Does it have an AR lower or their modified lower? I would rather have an AK but can't seem to pull the trigger.
Warsteiner
glad to hear the positive reviews
Warsteiner
how are the triggers?
The Wonderer
AG
Warsteiner said:

how are the triggers?
The the little extra coin and get the polished triggers.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-pa10-enhanced-polished-trigger.html
Duncan Idaho
Don't be in a rush to buy from them. The day after you place your order, they'll put whatever you bought on sale
Latrobe
AG
Most bang for the buck I ever got was when I visited their store on Black Friday (happened to be in SC visiting family)

I got a great full-size soft case for $10 and two "blemished" lowers for $25 each.

Good stuff
FSGuide
It's on one of their multi-cal PA15 lowers. I originally bought the upper from them and was just switching it with my 5,56 upper on my DPMS lower when I wanted to shoot it, but then I saw the complete lower with Magpul stock on sale so I picked it up to have a complete rifle. The only slight problem I have is finding 7.62x39 mags for AR lowers. Right now I only have two. a 30 and a 5 round (which was packaged as a 20 round when I bought it!)
Burnsey
AG
I really like my PSA rifle. I would definitely buy from them again.
Big_Worm
AG
Another thumbs up vote for PSA. I have built two rifles from their kits. Highly recommend.
Duncan Idaho
I am too lazy to research it but is that 1000 rounds of .223 for $250 shipped and after rebate a good/decent/great deal or meh?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/american-eagle-1000-rounds-55-grain-223-fmj-bt-ammo-ae223bl.html
CTGilley
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I am too lazy to research it but is that 1000 rounds of .223 for $250 shipped and after rebate a good/decent/great deal or meh?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/american-eagle-1000-rounds-55-grain-223-fmj-bt-ammo-ae223bl.html
The Wonderer
AG
~$.25/round for XM193 isn't bad at all
Hobbes01
AG
Recently read on AR15 forums one guy's opinion ranking manufacturers. His comment when it came to PSA was that their Premium line rifles were mid-grade (on par with Aero and Spikes), the Freedom line was a step below (S&W M&Ps, Ruger, Springfield Armory, DPMS, Bushmaster) and their PTAC line being at the bottom (Radical, Bear Creek, Anderson).

From browsing their upper kits for quite some time, I never understood what differentiated Premium vs Freedom vs PTAC, or really understood what went into those designations. There are yet other uppers that do not include one of those three designations at all. Can anyone elaborate on the differences? Or are the differences wrapped up in the extras that are also commonly listed in the description: M-LOK, MOE, EPT, MBUS sights, etc.?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Hobbes01 said:

Recently read on AR15 forums one guy's opinion ranking manufacturers. His comment when it came to PSA was that their Premium line rifles were mid-grade (on par with Aero and Spikes), the Freedom line was a step below (S&W M&Ps, Ruger, Springfield Armory, DPMS, Bushmaster) and their PTAC line being at the bottom (Radical, Bear Creek, Anderson).

From browsing their upper kits for quite some time, I never understood what differentiated Premium vs Freedom vs PTAC, or really understood what went into those designations. There are yet other uppers that do not include one of those three designations at all. Can anyone elaborate on the differences? Or are the differences wrapped up in the extras that are also commonly listed in the description: M-LOK, MOE, EPT, MBUS sights, etc.?
great question. I have the same question and it is why I didn't use them. It is like looking at a map with no legend.
The Wonderer
AG
Mostly barrel metallurgy I believe.
Duncan Idaho
Hobbes01 said:

It goes premium > freedom > ptac

Ept - enhanced polished trigger. Basically basically mil spec with that's been coated and Polished

Moe - Magpul original equipment - this usually means it has either Magpul moe pistol grip or forward grip if it doesn't have a free float

Mlok - Magpul's accessory Mount system.

Mbus - Magpul back up sights
Duncan Idaho
I think I miss read your post. Aside from the difference in accessories the big difference is the barrel

My understanding is the premium line has barrels that could be made by FN
The freedom ones are the ones they've typically made.

PTAC is a company that bought Dan is supposedly significantly less l
Hobbes01
AG
I appreciate the decoding ring on all the acronyms too Duncan. I did spend some time googling all those terms to finally make sense of it all. I just didn't know if the difference between freedom and PTAC was the upgrade to MOE hardware, the polished trigger, etc. or if there was something else. Sounds like the barrels are the distinguishing features.

The PTAC kits include this statement: PTAC products are ready for duty, and are meant to be used. As such the finish may have some cosmetic irregularities which include, but are not limited to, scuffs, scratches, and dings or dents in the forgings that do not affect function.

I also could not find any premium kits, only a few complete premium rifles. So it looks like almost all of their kits are in the freedom line. Within the freedom line, there are several barrel material and coating choices, in addition to the other various options regarding hand guards, sights, et.al. Been a learning experience for sure!
Duncan Idaho
I've got two freedom carbines, and another lower that I built out with third kit. I am happy with all of them.

The ept is worth it if it is included in a kit for a few dollars more. If you have to buy it separately, the alg triggers when they are on sale from alg seem to be the better bang for your buck.

45-70Ag
AG
Finally was able to get a bolt carrier group from them online. Those things sell quickly.
Mr. Dubi
The Wonderer said:

~$.25/round for XM193 isn't bad at all
Redemption is a pain: you have to cut the UPC off each of the fifty little boxes of ammo and send it in with the rebate form. The UPC from the case box is not a valid number.

But fifty bucks is fifty bucks. I have shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards through a $79 Radical Firearms barrel though. It chronoes faster than any other 55 gr round in my SBR too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.