Outdoors
Sponsored by

224 Valkyrie

11,168 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggielostinETX
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New round developed by LaRue and Federal. 90gr pill that's supersonic and stable out to 1300yds out of an AR15/MSR platform. Anyone seen one in the wild yet?
CharlieBrown17
aggielostinETX
AG
Sounds like a nightmare on barrel life?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Article with some guesses at performance based on case capacity, etc

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/06/ar-15s-creedmoor-224-valkyrie-vs-22-nosler-6-5-grendel-modern-intermediate-calibers-025/

I'll pull the graphs and post them when I'm done with class in a bit. Looks like a promising round.
aggielostinETX
AG
Ohhh.... MV of 2700.... and still at 1250 at 1k.

The only thing it loses to the Grendel in is energy, but it wins past 1000.

This might be a game changer.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The big winner for the 224 Valkyrie over the 22 Nosler to me is that it has a parent case that isn't terribly hard to find. Quick search has 6.8 spc brass available for $99/250 compared to $129/250 for 22 Nosler

Velocity

Energy

Drop

Drift

Quote:

So, wait, the .224 Valkyrie is an AR-15 compatible round that gives you .22 Nosler performance up close, 6.5 Grendel energy retention, and 6.5 Creedmoor drop and drift at 1,000m? Well, these are just estimates, but Yeah, looks that way.

From the article as well, he doesn't have 6.5 CM in the charts but he says the numbers are close. Again these are all estimates right now but as long his calculation of the case volume is close to the actual amount everything should be close to these charts.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Deats said:

This and 22 Nosler sound like barrel burners. The BC charts do look impressive though...
CactusThomas
AG
Deats said:

I don't see how it changes anything significantly.
CharlieBrown17
AG
For 224 Valkyrie:
The powder charge given in the article for his estimates and varget as the powder gives a barrel life of 1880 in the accurateshooter.com excel formula.

Realistically would still be good for steel/non benchrest shooting after that for a good bit too.
aggielostinETX
AG
CactusThomas said:

Deats said:

Creedmoor performance out of an Ar15?
TheVarian
CactusThomas
AG
Deats said:

CactusThomas said:

Deats said:

Well, laws of physics will still apply no matter how cool of a name they choose so it won't match 6.5 creedmoor performance.

Even if it did there are dozens of companies offering the creedmoor in AR10s. So while I agree that the AR15 is more handy than an AR10, I don't really see it as a game changer.
AgLA06
AG
CactusThomas said:

Deats said:

CactusThomas said:

Deats said:

Well, laws of physics will still apply no matter how cool of a name they choose so it won't match 6.5 creedmoor performance.

Even if it did there are dozens of companies offering the creedmoor in AR10s. So while I agree that the AR15 is more handy than an AR10, I don't really see it as a game changer.
There's also a price difference between an AR15 and AR10. Not to mention weight and parts availability.

Assuming it's close to the creedmoor it could definitely change things for people looking for a long range gun not with a bolt. I still haven't seen how it compares to the creedmoor though.
aggielostinETX
AG
If I wanted an AR10, I would build an AR10.

"Hey, look, someone, spent some time, worked with a reputable ammunition manufacturer, and built something cool that might shoot better than stuff we have today and be close to a really great cartridge not available on this platform"

"it won't ever be better than that cartridge, btw you can get that cartridge in another platform pretty easily"

If I wanted to read arfcom, I would.

CactusThomas
AG
Oh look someone developed a niche compromise between existing intermediate cartridge calibers and claims it will match the performance of one of the more efficient short action cartridges. Again.

Game changer.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think I'm in between both of y'all on this one...

I don't think its a huge step up buuuut if 224 Valkyrie had been around when I built my 20" 223 Wylde I would've gone with it
BenderRodriguez
AG
CactusThomas said:

Agree 100%.

Always super skeptical of new designs that claim they match the performance of X without any of the drawbacks. Sure, that kind of innovation might have happened....but the more likely scenario is that while it looks great in theory, it won't match the performance of something like 6.5 CM and will have other negatives and drawbacks...just like every other caliber ever touted as the next greatest thing ever.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I haven't seen anything from federal or LaRue claiming that.

The author of the article said it was close to 6.5CM on drop and drift, based on his charts it should be within a few mils on drop at 1000
TheVarian
AG
CactusThomas said:

Oh look someone developed a niche compromise between existing intermediate cartridge calibers and claims it will match the performance of one of the more efficient short action cartridges. Again.

Game changer.

Kind of like 300 blackout
aggielostinETX
AG
https://www.facebook.com/federalpremiumammo/videos/1566340903404525/
bedofbrass33
AG
Is the 90 gr VLD the best long range bullet in 224?

The Grendel now has factory Federal Gold Medal Match ammo that uses a 130 gr Berger hybrid with a 0.290 G7 BC.

Very interesting cartridge though.

And I just watched the facebook video. That's cool there's already a Gold Metal Match load and other factory loads. The list of manufacturers on board is a nice mix of premium and budget. Will be cool to see where this one goes.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Looks like the 90 VLD is. If Hornady started making a 90+ ELD it might unseat the VLD.

The 90 VLD has a G7 of .244
aggielostinETX
AG
Larue released theirs

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-suurg-kit/
CharlieBrown17
AG
Pretty disappointing the first thing it's released in is a 11.5" upper.

Though that entire package is interesting
EFE
AG
JP is taking orders and are offering 20" & 22" options
CT'97
AG
I like seeing people push the AR-15/MSR platform and developing for it. Being able to build an upper or rebarrel a current upper and use current mags is nice. I might play with it.
aggielostinETX
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

JP is taking orders and are offering 20" & 22" options
I'll wait.
aggielostinETX
AG
https://www.bsfbarrels.com/product-page/224-valkyrie

Carbon 18/20

$599
TheVarian
AG
IMAC has a pretty interesting video on it

EFE
AG
$569 for a JP
http://jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php
aggielostinETX
AG
Damn cornering the market
gibberish
AG
Nothing wrong with companies trying to innovate, and marketing hype should be expected. But we (consumers) win when they hit on a good new design.

Game changer? No, there is a reason .308 and 5.56 are still highest selling. Because they're best ? Hardly...it's because of Cheap surplus. A game changer will happen when DoD or NATO changes caliber.
GSS
Deats said:

Case capacity is only about 10-12% more than a 223 Rem case, and much less than a 22-250.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
EFE
AG
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-224-valkyrie-1-7-stainless-steel-15-5-odin-works-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-516447591.html
$449 PSA upper
BCStalk
EagleFordEarl said:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-224-valkyrie-1-7-stainless-steel-15-5-odin-works-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-516447591.html
$449 PSA upper

Y'all need to quit posting this crap, my bank is going to ban me from all these sites.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.