Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lab Puppy Chewing, Shocking

1,935 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1Aggie99
saysomethin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two things:
1) Best, as in most durable and chew prone, outdoor dog cushion you've used.
2) Best recipe, spray, deterrent, you use on areas you don't want chewed. Specifically, the insulation on back of AC unit in backyard.
www.absarokabeartooth.com
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
chili powder worked pretty well for us keeping our lab pup out of specific things.
drummer0415
AG
saysomethin said:

Best recipe, spray, deterrent, you use on areas you don't want chewed. Specifically, the insulation on back of AC unit in backyard.

Rub his nose in it, and then apply palm of hand swiftly and firmly to his backside.
saysomethin
AG
I've got that part down. He loves pain. 3 outdoor cushions in 3 nights. Cushions are stashed now
coyote68
How old is he?

Sounds like he is bored and needs to xercise and attention.. Take him on a5 mile run every afternoon. It will do both of you some good.
drummer0415
AG
saysomethin said:

He loves pain. 3 outdoor cushions in 3 nights.

Ouch.
wheelz
AG
Put in dog kennel at night.
hurricanejake02
AG
If they're bored and have access, they'll chew it up.

Best plan I've used was a 5'x10' run in the yard for unsupervised time until they can be trusted, and always having items available to them that they know are theirs to chew on.
saysomethin
AG
8 months. Throw the dummy for him and run him up the hill and down every morning. He could use some more exercise, no doubt. 5 miles a day though ain't gonna happen.
coyote68
Yup. Buy some toys and give them to him 1 at a time. He will likely tear each one up until he is about 2 years old.

This is not a criticism of you because I have been too busy to exercise my dogs in the past. Thank goodness my wife had the time, place and desire to run or walk 5 miles every day. Dogs and horses are not very enjoyable unless they have a job to do.
chickencoupe16
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Grannicks-Bitter-Apple-Bottle-Ounces/dp/B00028ZMEO

This. Tastes like ***** Plus exercise and access to toys. Worst thing my lab ever chewed up was a cellphone charger. Of course that sucked, but even that was a very isolated event. I fully believe that this was due to my fiance soaking the whole damn house in this stuff. Including the plastic knobs on the grill. Which is how I know what it tastes like...
saysomethin
AG
Thanks. Will give it a shot
JimShorts
AG
Get some mouse traps. Set them where the dog would have to walk to get to what is being chewed.Tack a piece of cardboard over them. When the dog steps on the cardboard, traps go off. The noise and movement of the cardboard should scare the crap out of the dog. They usually don't want to go around it any more.
jrbaggie
Get used to it until he is about two yo.
FishingAggie
From an old, old dog trainer. Not me. He showed me

Get Tabasco sauce. Paint it with a brush where the dog chews. He will stop.

It works anywhere. Doghouse , chair legs, edges of doors. It's funny. You'll see one set of teeth marks, then never again.

Leave the chew bones around and he'll pick those up
I've used that trick forever.

Good luck
1Aggie99
AG
Method the trainer told us to use on our lab.

Any place you don't want them to go, jump on, dig, chew, whatever. Get a shock collar and start at a low number. Make them do or go what it is you don't want, in your case your cushions. Take the dog over to the cushions and zap him. Wait a minute, turn zapper up about halfway and take the dog back to the cushion, zap again. Continue for 3-4 rounds with final begin level 10.

Did this with our lab and she refuses to go in our flowerbeds or jump on the couch.
FirefightAg
AG
When I'm lazy and need to get Maggie's 2 miles in I jump on the bike she runs. It's nice for me and she gets to go faster then when I run with her.

reddog90
AG
drummer0415 said:

saysomethin said:

Best recipe, spray, deterrent, you use on areas you don't want chewed. Specifically, the insulation on back of AC unit in backyard.

Rub his nose in it, and then apply palm of hand swiftly and firmly to his backside.

reddog90
AG
I wouldn't take a dog on a "run" until his joints are fully fused. Not a DVM but about 2 years.
reddog90
AG
1Aggie99 said:

Method the trainer told us to use on our lab.

Any place you don't want them to go, jump on, dig, chew, whatever. Get a shock collar and start at a low number. Make them do or go what it is you don't want, in your case your cushions. Take the dog over to the cushions and zap him. Wait a minute, turn zapper up about halfway and take the dog back to the cushion, zap again. Continue for 3-4 rounds with final begin level 10.

Did this with our lab and she refuses to go in our flowerbeds or jump on the couch.
Was your dog collar conditioned prior? Electric collars shouldn't be used to teach a new command.
Bassmaster
AG
I do this with my 7 year old Boxer every night. It is the highlight of his day. If I'm feeling really lazy, I hop in the golf cart and he runs beside me.
1Aggie99
AG
Red... she sure was. collar has worked great for us and she is now 4. I don't even have to have the collar on but if she sees me pick up the control she is ready to listen. We bring use it for walks so she can have a little more freedom, hunting, or when we take her somewhere new. So nice not to have to be bound by a 4ft leash all the time.

with that said, leash is still in hand if we are around large groups or kids
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.