Outdoors
Sponsored by

Copperhead in the house

4,415 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oogway
hlsr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi guys

So, I've logged into my husband's Texags account because I need your wisdom. Can someone explain to me how a copperhead ends up in an upstairs bathroom?

Here's the backstory...we came to our lakehouse for the weekend. It has two floors of living space and a walkout basement. Sunday afternoon, our 9 yr old son comes downstairs, flinging a dead snake around. My husband tells him to throw it outside. I come around the corner, see that this thing is 18" long and at least 1" diameter, and know enough to know it's not a little green grass snake. Husband then comes outside and says, " yeah, that's a copperhead".

Husband is pleased that it was dead..."it means we don't have mice or any sort of food source". I'm pleased the 9 year old had enough sense to throw a towel on it to make sure it was dead, before picking it up with his bare hand and waving it around. But what I want to know is.....how did a snake ended up in a third floor bathroom!?!?!?

Thanks guys
TwoMarksHand
AG
Probably slithered up there.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Elvis died in the bathroom, why can't a copperhead?
The Fife
It probably needed to go but the downstairs bathroom was occupied.
OldCamp
There are tons of ways it could get in your home.
There could be a crack between siding and slab or brick weeps, gaps under doors and windows, dryer vent that has small crack between the vent pipe wall collar.
If it could get on roof it could come down bathroom vent.
There could be a gap big enough at some penetration in the exterior wall such as at your AC condenser, electrical meter / breaker box, cable TV entry into home, irrigation controllers through the wall, water hose spigots, natural gas pipe through wall pipe, water heater drain, AC condensate drain, etc. etc.
ABATTBQ11
AG
No house is perfectly sealed up. There are nooks and crannies all over, and pretty much any exterior wall penetration is an opportunity for bugs, mice, snakes, etc. to get in. The thing is, they may not be smart enough to find their way back out.
redass1876
AG
My guess is he got into the attic from a soffit and worked his way down into the house
aggiedent
AG
My organic chemistry prof for both semesters was a woman. She told us a story about an odd work related interaction with a certain medication she was taking. Apparently when she went into her lab and breathed certain fumes (which she had been working with for years), with the new medication, they now caused her to have some visual aberrations, almost like hallucinations.

She lived in a pier and beam home in Bryant. One night after work, she was having some bad blurriness with her vision. She kept seeing squiggly shapes on the floor. She went and got a neighbor.............yep...............she had 3 copperheads in her house. Called a pest control company, who after some investigation determined she had a dozen or more breeding in the walls.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Did she build her new house on a slab foundation?
Bitter Old Man
AG
aggiedent said:

She lived in a pier and beam home in Bryant. One night after work, she was having some bad blurriness with her vision. She kept seeing squiggly shapes on the floor. She went and got a neighbor.............yep...............she had 3 copperheads in her house. Called a pest control company, who after some investigation determined she had a dozen or more breeding in the walls.

MouthBQ98
AG
I'd be more curious how it died up there...
Centerpole90
AG
For some reason this thread reminded me of an OB classic from a loooonnngg time ago.

NSFW language.

Bunk Moreland
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/woman-gets-slithery-surprise-when-she-finds-a--foot/article_5616c20a-4efd-53bf-b78e-87c88473ad8e.html
AZAG08
AG
aggiedent said:

My organic chemistry prof for both semesters was a woman. She told us a story about an odd work related interaction with a certain medication she was taking. Apparently when she went into her lab and breathed certain fumes (which she had been working with for years), with the new medication, they now caused her to have some visual aberrations, almost like hallucinations.

Not snake related but in high school my chem teach took his dogs meds one morning and was so loopy we had to send someone to get the school nurse and call his wife ( also a teacher) to come pick him up
FullDraw
AG
Aggiedent, I was in that class!
Most amazing snake story I've heard to this day. Snakes, snakes and more snakes pouring out of the walls!
CactusThomas
AG
Green snakes on the ceiling, Walking walls I can see.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Aggiedent, I was in that class!

Most amazing snake story I've heard to this day. Snakes, snakes and more snakes pouring out of the walls!

It was taught by Beverly Clement. I took her classes in the 81-82' school year. I was actually a chemistry major. I heard she did not get tenure and ended up teaching at Blinn. I liked her as a teacher.....she had a dry mix of humor & sarcasm, and taught us ways to "chemically" play practical jokes on people.
FullDraw
AG
That's her.
I actually thought she was pretty talented at teaching. Wasn't an easy class though.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
CactusThomas said:

Green snakes on the ceiling, Walking walls I can see.
One fool on a stool and on this stool sits this fool me.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Old school Johnny Bush!
AgLA06
AG
Centerpole90 said:

For some reason this thread reminded me of an OB classic from a loooonnngg time ago.

NSFW language.

That snake would have caught a bullet quick, but I don't think I could have slept there.
AgEng98
AZAG08 said:

aggiedent said:

Not snake related but in high school my chem teach took his dogs meds one morning and was so loopy we had to send someone to get the school nurse and call his wife ( also a teacher) to come pick him up

About a month ago, I had surgery to remove a cracked molar. Admittedly, I get more loopy than most under general anaesthesia. After the surgery, I convinced my wife to take me to work where I had several conversations with colleagues and my staff. She left me at home asleep on the couch after she gave me the first round of pain meds si she coukd go pick up my antibiotics. A week later a nice new scope, rangefinder, and AR upper show up at the house. Don't remember any of it.

Needless to say, Christmas came early this year and I'll have to sit on the sidelines while presents are distributed.
AZAG08
AG
Quote:

A week later a nice new scope, rangefinder, and AR upper show up at the house. Don't remember any of it.

Needless to say, Christmas came early this year and I'll have to sit on the sidelines while presents are distributed.
Lucky you
Oogway
I am totally stealing this plan, even if it wasn't premeditated. "I have no recollection of the events leading up to that Corvette Stingray sitting in our driveway honey, no recollection at all..."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.