Outdoors
Sponsored by

Neighborhood Predator

10,354 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 12f Mane
Mantis Toboggan MD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DayAg! said:

I've been telling people for years that cats arent good for the environment. They sheit in your garden and scratch up your outside chairs. They piss on everything they can even in your car and it stinks for months. Not counting the amount of quail they have killed. That plus they aint good for nothing much. They dont listen, they dont obey commands. And generally just dont give a crap about anybody but themselves. I kill ever cat I see in the wild. They are very destructive and will kill for the sake of just kiling. No use for em. Sorry, but not real sorry.

Are you a cat?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sean98
AG
B-1 83 said:

montanagriz said:

I like cats but what rules apply to dog owners should apply to cat owners
Just last week there was a toddler mauled by 2 pit cats that had gotten out of their yard.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
montanagriz said:

Just looked it up, here in Houston, the same laws do apply to all domestic animals.

Chapter 6 of the muni code
Quote:

Running at large or to run at large means an animal that is allowed to go on public or private property without its owner or a person having direct physical control over the animal; the terms include any animal that is staked, tied or hobbled in any manner as to allow the animal to access public streets or sidewalks.
Quote:

Sec. 6-3. - Owner's responsibility for animals at large.
An owner or any other person having the right of possession of an animal shall ensure that the animal does not run at large in violation of this chapter and shall be subject to punishment under this chapter without regard to whether the person was acting with a culpable mental state.
Sec. 6-4. - Running at large of domestic animals or fowl prohibited.
(a)The running at large of domestic animals or domestic fowl is hereby declared to be a nuisance. It is unlawful for an owner to permit any animal or fowl to run at large.
Quote:

Sec. 6-24. - Defecation by dogs or cats.
(a)Any person in control of a dog or cat is required to promptly remove and dispose of, in a sanitary manner, feces left by the dog or cat.
(b)Any person in control of a dog or cat is required to be in possession of materials to remove feces left by the dog or cat.
(c)It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the person in control of the dog or cat is the owner of the premises, or the owner's agent of the premises, where the dog or cat deposits feces.
(d)Violation of this section is unlawful and any violation shall be punishable upon conviction by a fine of not less than $75.00 or more than $500.00. Each act in contravention of this section is a separate offense.
So basically she posted a notice to the neighborhood that she is breaking the law with her cat, and then wants the police and neighborhood to care and do something when her violating the law got her cat hurt.
dtkprowler
AG
Sean98 said:

B-1 83 said:

montanagriz said:

Just last week there was a toddler mauled by 2 pit cats that had gotten out of their yard.

http://www.kidspot.com.au/health/baby-health/real-life/mum-warns-of-the-dangers-of-household-pets-after-her-baby-was-attacked/news-story/6d6a0d8cc4a55b0c50cd20bd4f93e4f1

Lone Stranger
101 Uses for a Dead Cat...........an all time great contribution to American Literature.

https://www.amazon.com/101-Uses-Dead-Simon-Bond/dp/0517545160
Oogway
Quote:

(d)Violation of this section is unlawful and any violation shall be punishable upon conviction by a fine of not less than $75.00 or more than $500.00. Each act in contravention of this section is a separate offense.

Woah, if each act is considered separate and CS charges this much, they could've made around $10,000 off my neighbor's cat....
Serious Lee
i think most cities do have leash laws for cats but they wont enforce them cause its too much work to catch them, and only single women over 40 will pay to get them back.
Aggieangler93
AG
I would go in favor of enforcement if there was a chance encounter with a cougar, but probably not...with the cat crowd!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Oogway
Feral cats are pretty cautious but the last cat that was stalking in my yard was not hard to catch at all. Grabbed it by the scruff stuck it in the garage and turned it over to animal control. It had no collar and no chip and was one I didn't recognize. I usually look for signs posted etc or on the local web page for lost pets and never saw anything so it may have been one of the ones that gets let go at semester's end to fend for itself.
SteveBott
AG
Don't know your capabilities but I highly doubt you caught a feral by the scruff. At least not without going to a doctor to get patched up.
Oogway
No, it wasn't a feral. There are some in our neighborhood but they don't let you get that close; I think this cat was abandoned.
3rdGenAg05
AG
The first couple pages of this thread had me rolling. Thanks OP.
cheeky
AG
My previous neighbor moved in with 4 full-time outdoor cats without collars. They took over my back yard within weeks. I was tolerant for a while, but they became more flagrant in their use of my property as a Second home and toilet. So I kept the air soft rifle handy during happy hour at the pool. When that didn't deter them, I bought a trap and put it on the deck near the back of the house and practically under our outdoor furniture. I caught three different cats in 5 nights. Two were relocated permanently. One that I had never seen in my yard before, but only in the neighbor's driveway, I turned loose after a good stern lecture. Never saw that cat in my yard again.

Now if a cat strolled up to me with a collar, I'd return it to its owner. But those free roaming ****ers that treat my property like a flop house and run like bandits when caught in the act have no future in my neighborhood.

And I'm allergic to cats, so **** 'em.
OnlyForNow
AG
How's that pond treatin' em?
76Ag
AG
We had a sandbox in our backyard when I was a kid. I learned early on to be very careful because of all the disgusting cat turds we would find in it. They do more harm than god.
txags92
AG
montanagriz said:

Ok, so next time my neighbor goes out to get his morning paper and his lab runs across the street and takes a dump in my yard, I should just shoot the dog? Somehow I don't think that is what is being advocated, but selective outrage seems to be the norm around here...
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
txags92 said:

montanagriz said:

Ok, so next time my neighbor goes out to get his morning paper and his lab runs across the street and takes a dump in my yard, I should just shoot the dog? Somehow I don't think that is what is being advocated, but selective outrage seems to be the norm around here...
that depends. Does the owner then come and pick up after his dog?
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
You're welcome. As soon as I saw this sign the other night I knew it had good potential here.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Latest and greatest in the cat situation for my neighborhood. Came across this gem posted on the neighborhood FB group and immediately knew it would be good:
Quote:

Anna Wrote:
I have a respectful request:
If the person who owns a grey/brown striped tabby cat who is allowed to roam outside during the day is in this group (or if you know who that is)... may I please ask that you keep your cat indoors?
The reason is that seeing your cat in our backyard, front yard (and sometimes coming up to the windows) causes severe distress for one of our cats. So much so, that he sprays/urinates (he has NEVER done this before this month), yowls, and attacks our other two cats, one of whom is a senior and can't really handle rough-housing anymore.
Our three year old daughter is terrified of these experiences as well.
It's a new occurrence in the past two months, but it has escalated to the point where I am hesitant to leave the house, I am afraid of what will happen to our cats if I'm not there to break up the fight and separate them.
We are on the *redacted*, if that helps narrow it down!
Thank you for reading, I hope that we can find a resolution to this issue soon!!
some of the better comments included for your entertainment:
Quote:

Kevin: Cats roam, you're an awful person
Rebecca: Lol. Harris County has a leash law for cats as well as dogs.
Michael: I've never seen a cat on a leash in real life.
Quote:

Anna: Peyton and Cyndi, I found this article that has some helpful suggestions: https://www.alleycat.org/.../how-to-live-with-cats-in.../

I think it would be a great start to trap and neuter these strays so that there aren't more of them soon. I will see where we can get some humane traps for our neighborhood.

But... I also like the motion detector repellent gizmo!! LOL

Cyndi:I am not in SS but in MW but I will help with trap and release but please don't relocate because you can never be sure they don't belong to someone
this one is for ursus:
Quote:

Matthew: I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say I'd rather the cats stay. Not because I like cats or I'm a softie or anything, but because those strays eat rats. And there seem to be lots of rats around here, hence the cats. Would you rather have a few cats, or lots of rats?

Quote:

Kelly: Just please don't trap any moms with teets, as you'll be taking her away from her nursing babies. Mew!
Quote:

Bryan: Just brainstorming here...Have you considered operant conditioning therapy to modify your indoor cat's behavior when the outdoor cat is around? It may be hard to keep outdoor cats away from the windows, but if you could change the behavior of your indoor cat to react less negatively when the outdoor cat is taunting it you wouldn't have to worry about the external cats anymore.
Quote:

Kelly: They're God's creatures, just like we are.
Peyton: So are rattlesnakes. But I don't let them hang around my house either.... do you?
Quote:

Michael: Anyone contemplating "relocating" cats, just don't. The very first reason is that no matter how "stray" you might think they are, they may not be strays.

I am quite tempted to post the link from above for "101 Uses for a Dead Cat" just to stir the pot
12f Mane
AG
Lone Stranger said:

101 Uses for a Dead Cat...........an all time great contribution to American Literature.

https://www.amazon.com/101-Uses-Dead-Simon-Bond/dp/0517545160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.