Outdoors
Sponsored by

27 targets, 27 seconds

5,473 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shot a falling steel match this weekend with my Open Glock.

Set up is 27 steel targets on 3 stages, two runs per stage. First run has a par time of 30 seconds, you shoot until you clear all targets or until 30 seconds has passed. Second run you shoot until you clear all targets. Mag capacity in all divisions is limited to 10 to force reloads. I had two good runs, one almost good run and three bad runs. Posting my better runs below.

First up is 27 targets cleared in 27.84 seconds.

Second is both runs on another stage. First run was 28.12, second was 30.04. I was on track for that second run to be my fastest of the day....until I slipped. I kept control of the gun and the muzzle down range, but losing my balance cost me time, and I missed several shots on the last section trying to make up for it. Instead, I managed to miss just enough shots to force another reload to clear the last target, adding even more time.

If you've never shot an action pistol match, you need to do it. It is a blast. If you don't have the gear, let me know and you can come shoot a match with me and I'll provide everything you need. If you're bored with shooting, this will cure it, I promise you.

Swarely
Damn man. That looks fun.
agingcowboy
AG
That falling/spinning target at the end looks tough but you nailed it. Very cool and nicely done!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
That looks awesome.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BenderRodriguez
AG
agingcowboy said:

That falling/spinning target at the end looks tough but you nailed it. Very cool and nicely done!

Thanks. That spinning target is called a polish plate rack and (to me) are easier than the texas stars, because as long as you quickly clear the outside plates, the ones closest to the axis aren't really moving much, while texas star plates are all further out and can get more speed going once you've cleared a few of them.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Swarely said:

Damn man. That looks fun.
It is. I love competitive pistol shooting. The people who do it are great folks, the matches are always a lot of fun, and there is no better way to test yourself and your equipment under stress.

I put up my three best runs out of the six stages we shot this weekend. My other three runs were slower and I finished 17th overall out of 34 shooters. If I had shot all 6 stages as well as I shot these three, I still would have only finished 6th. There are a ton of good shooters in my area.

That being said, don't be intimidated if you're not fast, no one ever makes me or anyone else feel like they don't belong because they're not the best or fastest. There was someone at this match whose fastest run was 66 seconds, and their slowest run was over two minutes. They were safe and had a good time, and that's all that matters to any of us.

Anyone in central Texas who wants to try this stuff out let me know. Always happy to introduce another shooter to the addiction.

jefe95
AG
Is that an AR with a bump stock?

Seriously, what are you shooting and what is the sight?
Mr. Dubi
Nice shooting there. I have considered making those matches, but the ten round thing is what is has been holding me up. I struggled a bit the first two years of Carry Optics with the ten round magazine limits.

I like the way they have the arrays so there aren't any mandatory flat footed reloads, so I might actually reconsider this.

What comp are you running on that 34? What loads are you using to get it to work?
BenderRodriguez
AG
jefe95 said:

Is that an AR with a bump stock?

Seriously, what are you shooting and what is the sight?

Top gun:

It's a police surplus Glock 22, worked over to be a USPSA Open gun.

ALG 6 second mount, Primary Arms advanced Microdot, KKM barrel with a comp, ZEV trigger, ALG Magwell.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

What comp are you running on that 34? What loads are you using to get it to work?

It's a Glock 22.

KKM barrel and comp in 40, stock weight recoil spring, crappy 180 gr American Eagle 40.

I'm going to try some USPSA Major loaded ammo from Atlanta Arms to see how it runs for something with a little less uumph than standard 40 ammo.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Looking at that last run again where I slipped, if I hadn't slipped it might have been a ~24 second run or less. I left the second shooting position about 15 seconds into the run.

Even with the slip, if I hadn't tried to rush the last string and forced another reload after missing three shots, it would have been ~26-28 seconds instead of 30.

Frustrating, but a learning experience for sure.

will.mcg
the pit man
Where do these matches take place, and where can I get a schedule. I used to shot some comps a long time ago and might like to give it a go again. Do they have any thing for stock guns.
BenderRodriguez
AG
the pit man said:

Where do these matches take place, and where can I get a schedule. I used to shot some comps a long time ago and might like to give it a go again. Do they have any thing for stock guns.

Yeah, let me work up a schedule tonight of the matches I usually go to and I'll post a schedule for anyone interested.

I live in Temple and I'm shooting matches primarily here in Temple or over in Copperas Cove.

Anyone who wants to shoot a match is welcome to join me. Just let me know if you're coming to one so I can try and make sure I actually make it to that match. If I could find the time and money to do so I could basically shoot darn near every single weekend or sometimes even Saturday and Sunday every weekend in this area.

ETA: Yes, you can shoot a stock pistol is basically any match.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Temple Gun Club match schedule:

USPSA matches held third Saturday of every month at 9 am.

IDPA matches held first Sunday of each odd month (Jan, Mar, etc) at 9 am.

Steel Challenge matches held first Sunday of every even month (Feb, Apr, etc) at 9 am.

Summer steel challenge matches held every Thursday night starting in May-August.

Copperas Cove matches:

1st Saturday IDPA Match
2nd Saturday All-Falling Steel Handgun Match
4th Saturday Action Steel Handgun Match
5th Saturday - IDPA Match with Classifier

So in the next month there is a USPSA match this Saturday the 21st in Temple, an Action Steel match in Copperas Cove on Saturday the 28th, an IDPA match in Copperas Cove on Saturday Nov 4th, an IDPA match in Temple on Sunday Nov 5th, an all falling steel Handgun match (what I shot in the video in this thread) on Saturday November 11th, and a USPSA match Saturday Nov 18th here in Temple.

Lots of opportunities to shoot for anyone who wants to. If you need gear, email me and I can loan you everything needed to shoot your first match. If you have your own gear, let me know what match you want to shoot and I'll try to make sure I make it to that match.

email is g3kcz75@gmail.com

Mr. Dubi
In BCS there is usually a match every weekend. At Cawthon Cartridge Club there is USPSA first and third Sunday, Second Sunday is a falling steels matchmuch like whar Bender posted, but no magazine limits and you can run .22, centerfire pistol, shotgun or pistol caliber rifle, fouth Sunday is 3gun, fifth Sunday is usually a bonus match it can be rifle friendly paper, falling steel or USPSA.

Second Saturday is an outlaw rimfire steels match at Willowhole Cowboys in North Zulch. This is run like steel challenge- five stages of five plates five strings per stage. The plates are huge! Like 16" and 10-25 yards.

Those matches are promoted on Facebook. Just search "willowhole cowboys", "Brazosland pistoleros", "JP Enterprises sterl match at ccc" or "Dissident Arms Multigun -3 gun" for more info.
gibberish
AG
Wait the resident CZ guy shooting a glock in uspsa and in open to boot?!

dellgriffith
AG
That is simply amazing to me. Strong!!
BenderRodriguez
AG
dellgriffith said:

That is simply amazing to me. Strong!!

If you want to really be amazed, go watch or shoot a match sometime.

I am firmly an average, middle of the pack shooter in the competitive world. I get my ass kicked at every single match by guys shooting faster and more accurately than I do and you'd be really impressed by what some of those guys can do. I finished 17 out of 34 shooters in this match. (granted if I had shot the other three stages as well as I shot these three I put up on youtube I could have finished 6th).

To put it into perspective a little, the guy who won the division I was shooting in? His slowest run on 6 stages was 27 seconds....which was my fastest of the day. His fastest run was 15.24 seconds to clear 27 targets.

But no one ever said word one negatively to me or anyone shooting slower than I did about our shooting. We're always excited to have new shooters out and get to watch them test themselves and their equipment under stress against a timer. It is the most fun you can have with a pistol.

BenderRodriguez
AG
gibberish said:

Wait the resident CZ guy shooting a glock in uspsa and in open to boot?!

Oh yeah. Keep in mind that part of what makes me such a huge CZ homer is that I've owned, carried and competed with a lot of different guns besides CZs. When I first got into IDPA/USPSA I was shooting my stock G19 in both, which was also my carry gun at the time. I've shot 1911s, Glocks, CZs, etc in competition.

I will eventually shoot something like this in Open:

But unless someone decides to sponsor me and pick up the bill for the $3,000 CZ open gun, the ammo to feed it, the extra magazines for it, the new holster, belt and mag set up it would need.....it's going to be a while before I commit fully to Open.

Here is what happened: I had a ALG 6 second mount I picked up from someone else that won it at Cola Warrior. The most popular pistol used for Cola Warrior is referred to as a CWOCK, which is usually a G17 in 9mm with an ALG 6SM and magwell, with either a T-1 or budget red dot on it like so:

I wanted to use my 6SM to build up a CWOCK, but I only get to participate in the awesomeness of Cola Warrior occasionally, and while I may only run, shoot, chug and puke once or twice a year I'm shooting USPSA at least once a month. So if I have a red dot and a mag well, I might as well make a ghetto USPSA Open blaster and test the water with it, right?

So I bought a police trade in 22 so I could shoot standard 40 to make major power factor in USPSA, added a KKM barrel and comp, a ZEV trigger, extended mag release, and my ALG mount and magwell. I can still use my same belt and mag pouches I already use for other guns in competition and try out open.

So instead of the $4,000 minimum investment required to jump into Open the "right" way, I'm barely over $1,000 into this entire setup, and I still shoot a CZ in IDPA since this gun is in no way IDPA legal (which is too bad, because they want IDPA to be about carry guns and I actually can and do carry this thing). Makes a damn good bedside gun too.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Hadn't gotten any emails on the subject so I doubt anyone was planning on it, but just in case: USPSA in Temple this Saturday is cancelled.
dubi
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

In BCS there is usually a match every weekend. At Cawthon Cartridge Club there is USPSA first and third Sunday, Second Sunday is a falling steels matchmuch like whar Bender posted, but no magazine limits and you can run .22, centerfire pistol, shotgun or pistol caliber rifle, fouth Sunday is 3gun, fifth Sunday is usually a bonus match it can be rifle friendly paper, falling steel or USPSA.

Second Saturday is an outlaw rimfire steels match at Willowhole Cowboys in North Zulch. This is run like steel challenge- five stages of five plates five strings per stage. The plates are huge! Like 16" and 10-25 yards.

Those matches are promoted on Facebook. Just search "willowhole cowboys", "Brazosland pistoleros", "JP Enterprises sterl match at ccc" or "Dissident Arms Multigun -3 gun" for more info.

List of BCS matches (ignore my hubby's not quite accurate post)

1st Sunday
CCC Range - USPSA match

2nd Saturday
Willow Hole Cowboys - they host a 22 match and are NOT on Facebook despite what was posted above.
If you are interested, email gundoc@verizon.net to get on their announcement list.

2nd Sunday
JP Enterprises Steel match at CCC
events are posted on FB

3rd Sunday
Brazosland Pistoleros USPSA match
events are posted on FB

4th Sunday
Dissident Arms 3 gun series
events are posted on FB

5th Weekends - if applicable
Typically one of the clubs will hold a random match to fill a 5th weekend.
CCC's FB page to see the events.

dubi
AG
October 5th weekend matches that were announced.

------------------------------------------

SATURDAY MATCH, OCTOBER 28TH @ 5:45pm

Dissident Arms and Team JP Texas will be holding a 5th Saturday night match.

This will be a 5 stage, ALL PAPER night match. Suppressors, night vision, lasers, flash lights all ENCOURAGED! Scoring is 2 hits on paper or 1 A zone hit. Expect 30-40 shots per stage.
Divisions: Open Rifle, Open Pistol, Limited Pistol, and PCC.

There will be a MANDATORY daylight walkthrough starting at 7pm with hammer down approximately 30 minutes after sunset. Match staff will distribute glow sticks and safety brief after the daylight walk through.

Registration 5:45 - 6:45 (NO SHOOTERS WILL BE REGISTERED AFTER 6:45)
Mandatory 7pm daylight stage walk through followed by a safety brief
Hammer down 30 minutes after sunset (approx 8pm)
Cost $30 CASH (exact change please)
Practiscore registration:
http://bit.ly/2iod9pH

SUNDAY MATCH, OCTOBER 29TH @ 8am

We are extremely excited to announce the MGM Targets Steel Championship sponsored by Dissident Arms and JP Enterprises! This will be a 10 stage falling steel match with an approximate round count of 300 rounds. As always, we will be using MGM steel targets provided by Dissident Arms for the match.

The cost for the match will be $75 per shooter. Junior shooter fee will be $50. Payment will be made on Practiscore. We will have prizes for stage winners as well as trophies for division winners!

The 1 on 1 plate rack shootoff is making a return while we tabulate scores and distribute prizes to Stage and Division winners. Enjoy shooting SUPPRESSED PCC's against your friends. The King of the Mountain for the PCC side shoot will also win a sweet prize!

Registration 8:00-8:30am
Shooter's Meeting 8:45am
Hammer down at 9:00am
Practiscore registration:
http://bit.ly/2kWj1ad

Questions?
jpsteelsmatch@gmail.com
Like us on Facebook to receive match notifications
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1629198290716232/

CCC SPEED LIMIT IS 15MPH! You will be ejected from the range if you speed.[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/1629198290716232/][/url]
Directions to CCC range - NOTE RED BARN IS GONE!

BenderRodriguez
AG
That night match sounds like a lot of fun. Might have to see if I can make that.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

(ignore my hubby's not quite accurate post)
Reason number 5,983 I'm glad my wife is not a TexAgs poster.
dubi
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

(ignore my hubby's not quite accurate post)
Reason number 5,983 I'm glad my wife is not a TexAgs poster.

You must admit mine was much more organized and included hyperlinks.
CharlieBrown17
AG
What is the Willow Hole match like?

Their website looks like its highly cowboy action emphasized but also hasn't been updated for a few years
dubi
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

What is the Willow Hole match like?

Their website looks like its highly cowboy action emphasized but also hasn't been updated for a few years

The match that I mentioned is a 5 stage steels match for 22's only. Pistol or rifle. Iron sights or red dot.

I referenced their website for purposes of locating the range.
jfbdvm
AG
Looks like fun. Any groups in the SA area?
BenderRodriguez
AG
jfbdvm said:

Looks like fun. Any groups in the SA area?

As a disclaimer, haven't made it down to SA for a match, haven't shot at any of these clubs or know anything about them.

But one of them has a pretty good run down for the area, looks like they're a lot like us: lots of opportunities to shoot.

San Antonio area matches

They also have a pretty good write up (I think, glanced through it and didn't see anything glaringly bad) for folks new to competitive shooting on gear/supplies/expectations for a match.

new shooter info

If you have any questions about matches or gear, let me know.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Shot another steel match at CCPC this last weekend. Slightly different format, it wasn't all falling steel, but a mix of falling/static.

3 stages with 4 shooting positions, 8 shots required from each position on 5-8 targets per position. Falling steel you shoot till it drops, static steel you need one hit on the small circular plates and 2 hits on the bigger plates.

3 more stages with 3 shooting positions, 8 shots required from each position all on static steel, with one of the shooting positions further back from the previous stages.

It was about 33 degrees when we started shooting Saturday morning, but the cold was the least of my worries. My accuracy for this match was 86% with 27 misses. Unfortunately, that wasn't my biggest problem either.

I had 5 malfunctions.

Examined the gun when I got home, and found the culprit:

This is what I get for playing the 'Open for cheap' game...occasionally aftermarket items do not work out perfectly. 95% of the time, my aftermarket guide rod and aftermarket compensator are working together just fine. Occasionally though, they'll both be in just the right position to make contact under recoil, which I suspect is what caused my malfunction issues this match. Looks like I need to relieve the bottom of the compensator just a bit to keep them from hitting.

Add in being forced to do 2 standing reloads thanks to inaccurate shooting, and the combination of missed shots and malfunctions was enough to earn me 9th place out of 20 shooters (Granted, that's 20 guys crazy enough to think shooting in near freezing weather is fun, so they're pretty good shooters overall...but still). I still had fun, but this was def a bad match for me overall.

For those who don't think shooting is a perishable skill, I've been busy enough I've barely made it to the range between the last steel match and this one, and haven't been practicing draws or dry firing at all. That showed up in this match in a big way. If you're not practicing frequently, your pistol skills are going down the drain. I know mine were/are.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.