Outdoors
Sponsored by

+/- $500 Bino reccos...paging Caladan

1,263 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wheelz
BigCountryAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've read everything I can find on TA using the search feature and can't find the info I need.

Like many, I'm looking for an upgraded set of bino's for hunting.

I've been using Redfield 10x42's (scoff if you will), and they're decent for a sub $200 pair, but looking to step up a notch. Definitely feeling the pinch in low-light sitch. I'm 47 y.o., and my eyes ain't getting any better.

Although we hunt pretty hard, I'm not hunting in the mountain west and can't justify a +$1K-$1.5K set of Swaro's. I know they're totally worth it, I just need a set of decent bino's I can carry in my pack and in my truck and I won't have a baby if they get lost or damaged.

Been looking at the Nikon, Leupold, Vanguard, Vortex offerings lately. Vanguard was the $h!# a couple years ago, and can't find much info on them lately. Thoughts?

FWIW, we hunt on a 5,500ac MLD place between Rocksprings and Sonora off hwy 55.

What say you OB and Sir Caladan?

Thanks in advance.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
AV8ORAG84
AG
Look at tract optics. Great glass for the money. In your price range.
Zen-Ray ed are good for the money too. Tract has some sales from time to time.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
AV8ORAG84 said:

Look at tract optics. Great glass for the money. In your price range.
Zen-Ray ed are good for the money too. Tract has some sales from time to time.

Can confirm, Zen-Ray ED is awesome! Suggested by Mr. Caladan himself.
Caladan
Hello BCA,

If you are looking for a bino that you can just run into a local Academy Sports or Walmart and purchase, then I would go with either a Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 or 10x42, or a Vortex Viper of the same configurations. The list price of the Viper has dropped down to $499, which is where it should have been in the first place. Both are competent binos, and are fairly equal in terms of overall performance. I prefer the M7 as it has a larger FOV. If you are wanting a 42mm bino, I would go with an 8x as it will be a bit brighter when the sun is not above the horizon. If you are wanting a 10x, then I would recommend a 50mm bino, but that size is hard to find at local chain stores.

If you are willing to order something, then you might consider the Viper 10x50, which is usually about $549, but can be purchased quite frequently for just under $500 at Optics Planet when they have their extremely frequent 10% off sales. The nice thing about OP is that you can return stuff you don't like for free. The other 10x50 I would consider is the Leupold Pro Guide HD (new version) 10x50, which is only about $57 more than your budget at OP.

If you are wanting to stick to the 10x42 size, and are willing to order from a place like OP, then consider the above-mentioned Vortex Viper and Nikon M7, but also consider the Zeiss Terra too. I didn't care for the Terra when it first came out, but they have made a few refinements lately that make it more competitive. This also means that a few places had the earlier versions on sale, so look around for that. Another to consider, and that I have no personal experience with, is a new brand called German Precision Optics, or GPO. I have read some very complimentary reviews on these, and you can find a 10x42 model at OP for $399. If it were me, I would order it and a few others from OP, try them out, and then send back what you don't like. There are a number of new brands on market lately (Athlon, Styrka, Maven, etc.), but some of them look kinda ugly to me. At least with the GPO, you can use it in public and not feel the need to put a brown paper bag over your head while doing so.

As for Zen-Ray - yes, they make a very good inexpensive bino, and their ED II and ED III compete extremely well in their respective price classes. However, I can no longer recommend them as their customer service has taken a significant nose-dive over the past several years.

If you are wanting a 10x42 and would consider spending a bit more (or wait for a sale), then you should definitely consider the Tract Toric that was already mentioned above. It's normal cost is $665, but they will sometimes have them on sale for $80 to $100 off. These compete with the ~$1k price level, but at 2/3rds the cost. Yes, they are a rather drab bino (battleship-grey), but they are built by the same company that makes binos such as the Zeiss Conquest HD and the Leupold Pro Guide HD, and outperform any in the $500 price class. Since you can't just go to a local store and try one out, you can try mine if you live in the B/CS area. Post a reply w/email if interested.

Lastly -- there is a lot to be said for buying something decent in the $250-$300 range, and saving up until you can purchase an alpha or near-alpha. The Vanguard Endeavor original version can sometimes be found for under $300. It actually performs quite well when compared to other 42mm binos in the $500 and under class.

hth,

C
HillcountryAg97
AG
I have been watching these threads for a couple of years and signed up as recommended for the Tract newsletter. I finally got the Torics for 80$ off last week in 10X42. The specials this year have been memorial day, fourth of july and a couple of weeks ago at the start of elk season. I'll bet they have something for Thanksgiving.

I could not be more impressed although I have not been able to field test in low light and such yet.

Thanks to all Texags OB and especially to Caladan for his expertise.

Total was under 600 for binos that function as well as more expensive ones.

And, although slightly over budget, it is a long term investment. Tract does not ask you to register your product or anything, they are unconditionally guaranteed. I like those guys.

I will post a field report sometime.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BigCountryAg
AG
Thanks Caladan, that's the advice I needed.

FWIW, I'm not at all married to the 10x42 platform.
I've struggled, like many, with inferior optics for years and have finally educated myself on the real benefits of quality optics. I just haven't found a decent pair of 10x50's that I liked that were somewhat affordable.

My eyes are kind of close-set and the 10x50 Vortex Diamondback that I've tried had my eyes hunting all over the place. I'm sure the Vipers are quite an upgrade, but It has steered me away from the 10x50's altogether. I'll give the Vipers a look.

The 10x42 Redfields I've been using the past couple years fit my melon perfectly and have been decent enough for my hunting needs, that's the only real reason I've gone to the 10x42's.

Since I settled on the 10x42's, I haven't looked at anything in the 8X platform, but will now.

Thanks again for your advice.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
wheelz
AG
I think I just saw Cabela's brand 12X HD bino's for less than $500. I'd jump on those. You want HD for 10X or above.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.