Outdoors
Sponsored by

First Crossbow Hunt

3,273 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgLA06
jmazz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took the crossbow on its maiden voyage this morning. It was more a trial run than anything and the first time I've been 15-20 yards from deer while in a pop up blind. Was tempted to shoot but it's so early in the season I held off...on both the buck and a doe (really small doe). What a rush though!

AgySkeet06
AG
Check out the hernia on that buck.

Its always a bit of a rush being that close to deer when hunting.

Also fyi dont try to shoot the buck in the head/neck with a crossbow.....
AZAG08
AG
very cool -- nice pictures
jmazz
AG
Was wondering what the bulge was.

10-4 on the neck shot...I've done it with a rifle but know not to try with the crossbow. The scope picture was for picture only purposes...which, by the way, is quite difficult to do.
AggieChemist
AG
AgySkeet06 said:

Check out the hernia on that buck.

Its always a bit of a rush being that close to deer when hunting.

Also fyi dont try to shoot the buck in the head/neck with a crossbow.....

But... but... the ravin groups like a rifle at 100 yards!
jmazz
AG
Took my 2nd trip out this morning...spike down.

Entry:

Exit:

Bolt not yet found.
reproag
AG
jmazz said:

Bolt not yet found.
Congratulations. Get some LED nock. They help in finding your bolt and are easy to install
CS78
Congrats! Glad it worked out!
Colt98
AG
Congrats on the TOT. Always a rush to take a deer with an arrow. Even if you're cheating.... jk
Chickenhawk
Colt98 said:

Congrats on the TOT. Always a rush to take a deer with an arrow. Even if you're cheating.

FIFY
jmazz
AG
Harsh. Will get to a bow one of these days. Then a spear.
SteveBott
AG
jmazz congrats on the hunts.

I thought the crossbow smack would of came in 24 hours of posting so I was surprised by the restraint showed by the bow hunters but...I knew it would come here or another thread.

And I just don't get it. An arrow hunter has to do about 95% of the same work regardless of method. Compared to a gun kill an arrow kill is quite an accomplishment. As many as stated an arrow kill is more of an even fight between hunter and the hunted.

And I do not hunt with arrows as of now but considering the change over as of next year.
helloag99
Too bad crossbowag99 was banned. He would have enjoyed this thread.
Colt98
AG
Hey I through out the "jk". The more people get in the wood and hunt the better. Welcome to ge early season club..
AggieChemist
AG
SteveBott said:

I thought the crossbow smack would of came in 24 hours of posting so I was surprised by the restraint showed by the bow hunters but...I knew it would come here or another thread.

And I just don't get it. An arrow hunter has to do about 95% of the same work regardless of method. Compared to a gun kill an arrow kill is quite an accomplishment. As many as stated an arrow kill is more of an even fight between hunter and the hunted.

And I do not hunt with arrows as of now but considering the change over as of next year.
I've been trying to be a kinder, gentler AC and not come in and crap on people's crossbow threads, but since we're going to have this conversation now, we might as well have it.

I have nothing against a crossbow as a weapon. You want to use one, use one.

But there is a false equivalency between crossbows and vertical bows, mainly perpetrated by people that don't know better.

Ask any long-time bowhunter what is the real challenge of archery. Is it getting close? Yes, but no. The last two deer I killed with my rifle were at 17 and 8 yards, respectively.

Do crossbow hunters need to get close to their quarry? Yes, certainly closer than with a rifle. Within 50 yards. Note that I don't advocate taking shots at that range because crossbows are loud and bolts comparatively slow. If the animal reacts to the sound of the shot, it can move a long ways in the few hundred miliseconds it takes the bolt to arrive. Compounds and longbows/recurves are comparatively quieter, but I certainly don't advocate taking 50 yard shots with archery gear. Some people do... that's their choice, but IMO it's on tentative ethical grounds. The marketing of the Ravin of rifle-like groups at 100 yards is beyond the pale.

The REAL challenge of bowhunting is GETTING TO FULL DRAW AND HOLDING IT FOR THE RIGHT SHOT in that moment when you've got a whitetail within 20-ish yards. You are in that deer's zone of awareness and it can be tough... it can be nigh impossible to get drawn and get a good shot on some animals, especially one that's aware something isn't right.

The crossbow simply has to be pointed and the trigger squeezed under those same circumstances. You're always at full draw. No extra movement to draw, no muscular fatigue holding it waiting for that ONE MORE STEP you need for the right shot.

That's the difference. Is it therefore easier than a vertical bow? Absolutely YES.

The other issue I have with crossbows is that many rifle hunters view it as an easy way to get into archery season without having to undertake the discipline of archery and its learning curve. It takes time to learn to shoot a bow well. Even a modern compound with a release. However, you can pick up a crossbow and be shooting bullseyes at 40 yards out of the box. This accuracy is not a bad thing, but there isn't the mindset of developing a skill the same as with a vertical bow. Also, many of these rifle hunters are used to shooting bullets that ignore bone and kill with shock and trauma, rather than broadheads that kill by exsanguination and need to be meticulously aimed and placed. Animal posture, angle, attitude are all important parts of shot selection. The new crossbow hunter (through no conscious fault of his own) is not necessarily aware of the nuances of shot selection and placement coming from a rifle hunting background.

AgEng06
AG
AggieChemist said:

SteveBott said:

The REAL challenge of bowhunting is GETTING TO FULL DRAW AND HOLDING IT FOR THE RIGHT SHOT in that moment when you've got a whitetail within 20-ish yards. You are in that deer's zone of awareness and it can be tough... it can be nigh impossible to get drawn and get a good shot on some animals, especially one that's aware something isn't right.

This has always been my hang-up with crossbows as well.
LSB_2002
AG
AgEng06 said:

AggieChemist said:

Getting to full draw has often proved impossible for me! Until you know the feeling of being busted and watching that buck walk out of bow range, you don't know bow hunting!

With that said, congrats on the spike! It is certainly a rush when sitting so close you can see and hear everything!

jmazz
AG
I don't doubt there's a difference between bow and crossbow hunting (methods, skills, etc). For me and for the land/set up I have...crossbow was the better choice to take advantage of bow season.

Next time I'll just get in a ghillie suit, lay under the feeder and knife the animal. Surely no one can bash that.
AgEng06
AG
Just to be clear, no one is bashing you or your hunting here. You are free to hunt any legal way you wish, and congrats on the spike. I honestly mean that.

AC's post is in reference to another poster stating that hunting w/ a crossbow and a vertical bow are pretty much the same. Your thread just happened to be where the discussion started.
jmazz
AG
Yeah, I know. It's all good. I'm just playing along. And vertical bow is on the 'to do' list. I'm relatively new to the hunting scene so just enjoy getting out there. And cheating or not...the crossbow kill was bad a...even on a lowly spike. (Get one per season in Burleson County so figured might as well.)
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I have no problem with crossbows. the more people outdoors the better.
BlueSmoke
Bowhunters are to hunting as crossfitters are to working out. They probably all used blades when they golf as well!

*Disclaimer - I do crossfit, am bow shopping, and suck at golf.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Chickenhawk
jmazz said:

I don't doubt there's a difference between bow and crossbow hunting (methods, skills, etc). For me and for the land/set up I have...crossbow was the better choice to take advantage of bow season.

Next time I'll just get in a ghillie suit, lay under the feeder and knife the animal. Surely no one can bash that.

Noobs and their knife kills.

Sneak up on it and snap it's neck or gtfo.
jmazz
AG
Ha. I do all the above as well (well...minus the bow part...see above posts). However I'm a mediocre Crossfitter and am smarter than trying to use blades on the links. I actually used to be decent but not so much once regular play and practice was tossed out the window.
jmazz
AG
Good point. Noted.
raidernarizona
Bowhunters are to hunting as Fly fishermen are to fishing. Btw, who gives a damn?!? Live and let live. We are all out enjoying the same darn thing.

But, as soon as I get my first kill with my recurve, I will be back over here to beat my chest to the wheel bow guys, so the longbow guys can chime in and one up me...

AgEng06
AG
Longbows, recurves, and compound bows are the same in that you draw, aim, and fire while the animal is standing in front of you.

Crossbows, muzzleloaders, and rifles are the same in that you aim and fire while the animal is standing in front of you.

None of these methods are illegal or wrong, but they are two separate classifications.
raidernarizona
But I don't have a sight, stabilizer, a release, 80% let off...

I was just kidding and being a hypocrite. Lord only knows if I'll ever get anything with this bow. I'm gonna dang sure try though.
AgEng06
AG
Oh, I know. The characteristics of the categories above were selected for a reason.
AgLA06
AG
AggieChemist said:

Quote:

Good conversation.

I actually agree with you. However, the downfall of bow hunting elitist in general is they don't understand that a large portion of the hunting population doesn't care about this. There is still a lot of people who are hunting for the meat and this generally only applies to trophy hunting because it defeats the purpose of doing everything you can to bring home meat. When the bow hunting community tries to put bow hunting on a pedestal all their doing is unnecessarily dividing the hunting community. There's no benefit to it other than personal ego stroking for someone with the mental confidence of a circus performer.

I'd much rather work to get closer or to kill a specific animal than to use a specific weapon. I can shoot anything anytime, but I can't always hunt a specific game species or animal whenever. Especially if I'm paying to travel west to hunt elk or mule deer. I don't have the disposable income to be OK with not doing everything possible to bring meat back to my family. And a lot of other hunters are the same.

The other issue I have with crossbows is that many rifle hunters view it as an easy way to get into archery season without having to undertake the discipline of archery and its learning curve.

I don't agree with this argument at all. First you preclude hunters of other weapons from hunting during peak times or have special seasons. And then after you've pranced around flaunting a bow and arrow and patted yourself on the back, in most states those same bow hunters are using other weapons in later seasons. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Bow hunters shouldn't be allowed to have both the rut or limited competition hunting season and then hunt other seasons with other weapons. If bow hunting is so pure, then stick with it.

AggieChemist
AG
AgLA06 said:

AggieChemist said:

Quote:

Good conversation.

I actually agree with you. However, the downfall of bow hunting elitist in general is they don't understand that a large portion of the hunting population doesn't care about this. There is still a lot of people who are hunting for the meat and this generally only applies to trophy hunting because it defeats the purpose of doing everything you can to bring home meat. When the bow hunting community tries to put bow hunting on a pedestal all their doing is unnecessarily dividing the hunting community. There's no benefit to it other than personal ego stroking for someone with the mental confidence of a circus performer.

I'd much rather work to get closer or to kill a specific animal than to use a specific weapon. I can shoot anything anytime, but I can't always hunt a specific game species or animal whenever. Especially if I'm paying to travel west to hunt elk or mule deer. I don't have the disposable income to be OK with not doing everything possible to bring meat back to my family. And a lot of other hunters are the same.

The other issue I have with crossbows is that many rifle hunters view it as an easy way to get into archery season without having to undertake the discipline of archery and its learning curve.

I don't agree with this argument at all. First you preclude hunters of other weapons from hunting during peak times or have special seasons. And then after you've pranced around flaunting a bow and arrow and patted yourself on the back, in most states those same bow hunters are using other weapons in later seasons. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Bow hunters shouldn't be allowed to have both the rut or limited competition hunting season and then hunt other seasons with other weapons. If bow hunting is so pure, then stick with it.

2 quick points:

1. I have hunted exclusively with a bow since 2005.

2. Bow seasons are longer because it is an inherently less effective method. I have seen deer that I could/would have killed with a rifle on nearly every sit this year, yet I've only killed two deer. So if the probably 30 deer I have seen, I have been in a position to take two.

AgEng06
AG
In most western states, part of the reason bow hunters are allowed to hunt animals during the rut is because the efficacy of bowhunting is lower. Bulls and bucks are at their most vulnerable during the rut, and if rifle hunting was allowed, there would be many more animals killed. The states are (or should be) in the business of managing the herd while attempting to allow as many people the opportunity to hunt as possible (as well as maximizing revenue).

For example, assume for a particular unit that 100 bull elk needed to be killed and assume the rifle success rate is 30% and archery success rate is 10% (rifle success is probably higher, actually). The unit could support 1000 archery hunters to achieve the desired kill rate or 333 rifle hunters. Allowing archery only during the rut provides more opportunity for the public, while also bringing in more revenue - the cost of the tag is the same regardless of method of take, except the state would sell 3x as many tags to archery hunters. Rifle hunting is then allowed after the rut (or right at the end) so that enough elk can still be killed to hit the desired numbers for the season.

It's not really an argument of what's fair, it's a complex system based on lots of factors.

(and yes, I got most of this from the MeatEater podcast several weeks ago)
AgLA06
AG
AgEng06 said:

In most western states, part of the reason bow hunters are allowed to hunt animals during the rut is because the efficacy of bowhunting is lower. Bulls and bucks are at their most vulnerable during the rut, and if rifle hunting was allowed, there would be many more animals killed. The states are (or should be) in the business of managing the herd while attempting to allow as many people the opportunity to hunt as possible (as well as maximizing revenue).

For example, assume for a particular unit that 100 bull elk needed to be killed and assume the rifle success rate is 30% and archery success rate is 10% (rifle success is probably higher, actually). The unit could support 1000 archery hunters to achieve the desired kill rate or 333 rifle hunters. Allowing archery only during the rut provides more opportunity for the public, while also bringing in more revenue - the cost of the tag is the same regardless of method of take, except the state would sell 3x as many tags to archery hunters. Rifle hunting is then allowed after the rut (or right at the end) so that enough elk can still be killed to hit the

It's not really an argument of what's fair, it's a complex system based on lots of factors.

That's widely understood. That however, has nothing to do with allowing those advantages to be doubled down in later seasons with other weapons. If it was truly about limiting the harvest, that wouldn't be allowed. It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with maximizing license sales. And in my opinion cheapens most of the mantra coming from the bow hunting community. Don't rub bow hunting is better in my face and fluff up your facebook page in the early season only to push me off a mountain later with a rifle because you suck at bow hunting.
AgEng06
AG
AgLA06 said:

AgEng06 said:

For example, assume for a particular unit that 100 bull elk needed to be killed and assume the rifle success rate is 30% and archery success rate is 10% (rifle success is probably higher, actually). The unit could support 1000 archery hunters to achieve the desired kill rate or 333 rifle hunters. Allowing archery only during the rut provides more opportunity for the public, while also bringing in more revenue - the cost of the tag is the same regardless of method of take, except the state would sell 3x as many tags to archery hunters. Rifle hunting is then allowed after the rut (or right at the end) so that enough elk can still be killed to hit the

That's widely understood. That however, has nothing to do with allowing those advantages to be doubled down in later seasons with other weapons. If it was truly about limiting the harvest, that wouldn't be allowed.
I'm not understanding what you're saying here. Advantages of what? And what wouldn't be allowed?

Quote:

Don't rub bow hunting is better in my face and fluff up your facebook page in the early season only to push me off a mountain later with a rifle because you suck at bow hunting.
And I would do none of this, nor understand what you mean about pushing you off a mountain?
AgLA06
AG
AgEng06 said:

AgLA06 said:

AgEng06 said:

That's widely understood. That however, has nothing to do with allowing those advantages to be doubled down in later seasons with other weapons. If it was truly about limiting the harvest, that wouldn't be allowed.
I'm not understanding what you're saying here. Advantages of what? Specialized seasons with limited competition and none from other weapons.

And what wouldn't be allowed?

Hunting other seasons with other weapons to expand the hunt longer and increase the odds of success.

Quote:

Don't rub bow hunting is better in my face and fluff up your facebook page in the early season only to push me off a mountain later with a rifle because you suck at bow hunting.
And I would do none of this, nor understand what you mean about pushing you off a mountain?

Great. That's the way it should be, but the average bow hunter does. The worst part of rifle hunting is to get miles in from a trail head in the dark only to have other hunters walk right through the area after day light. Especially if you find out they've been hunting for months before your only weak long season started and probably sucking just as bad the entire time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.