Outdoors
Sponsored by

Found two catahulas at the lease

4,573 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cibalo
fcag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we get to the lease last night and were greated by a pair catahula brothers. It appears someone dumped them within the last day or two. Really don't want the coyotes to get them, so hoping someone out this way (15 minutes east of Livingston) might be interested in them.

bdgol07
AG
Huntsville has some resources. Rita B Huff is the animal shelter we have.
fcag
AG
We've been told these are more likely Plott Hounds.
dr_boogs
AG
Coyotes won't have a chance with those two.
NW80
AG
TRUTH !!!
NW80
AG
Don't know where you live; but, they may be THE BEST dogs you've ever had!
SharkinAg
AG
Look like plots to me. I have a classmate who runs coons with them in competitions. May already have some training.
garyt73
AG
I have a Plott and I agree that these probably are too.
Mine is a non working dog, best I have ever had. Very eager to please and that makes her easy to train to do almost anything.
SteveBott
AG
Someone is probably looking for them
bam02
AG
Wow those are great looking dogs! Never heard of plott hounds before this, but I love catahoula and see the similarity.
fcag
AG
SteveBott said:

Someone is probably looking for them

That's what we're thinking, but haven't seen anyone out on the roads looking.
SteveBott
AG
Reading up on them they have great range. Give it a while
Ag In Ok
AG
Catahoulas are incredible, someone is missing their dogs.
BrazosDog02
AG
I end up with these dogs a lot in my area. I have three. I don't put up signs but if I see someone is looking them that's different. Wait a few days for lost dog signs. If you don't see signs in a day or two....Check them for chips. If no chip, vaccinate and enjoy your new pups! Best dogs you'll ever have.
fcag
AG
They went back with one of the guys to Houston to be checked for microchips. Hopefully they have them. Where they were, there isn't much around, so there's no telling where they came from. Really just hoping they weren't dumped.
Cibalo
I have the dogs and just took them to be scanned and there were no microchips. I already have 2 dogs (16 months and 11 months) and a baby due in Dec. I can't manage two more puppies.

The appear to be health and very friendly. I'm not sure they are litter mates because of the size difference so they may be a few months apart. Either way they would make great pets or hunting dogs for someone. They are eating real well and running around. No sign of fleas or ticks on them either. We also gave them heartworm medicine just to be safe. put them in creates inside last night and they went right to sleep and didn't have any problems all night.

I need to find a home for them ASAP. I'm located in Houston. If interested cibalo78 at gmail is the best way.
SteveBott
AG
Did the vet estimate age?
Cibalo
No can't get in to actually see the vet until tomorrow. Just went by for a scan. They have their adult teeth but balls still need to drop more and they need to grow into their feet.
lb sand
AG
One of my co-workers husband is in a Hunting Club in Liberty, Chambers and Galveston Counties. He has reached out to his club to see if any of them are interested in these dogs.
Hoyt Ag
AG
We had two beagles walk up to our camp this past week. They do not linger, but they seem friendly and love taunting my BMC and eating his food. I notified the local SPCA in Livingston and the lady that is looking for them got them last night, from 15 miles away.
Cibalo
I called them and no one has come looking for them. We found them early Friday afternoon and when I called on Monday afternoon and the owner hasn't asked about them it tells me they are dumped. the smaller one really cowers and shakes around adult men which leads me to think he was abused.

i feel better knowing that I can't find the owner and just hope I can find them a home where they will be treated well.
Cibalo
They got a clean bill of health from the vet. They also got all the shots they needed including rabies.

We have had a few people interested in them and following up to make sure we find a good home for them. With some luck it will be this week.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Cibalo said:

They got a clean bill of health from the vet. They also got all the shots they needed including rabies.

We have had a few people interested in them and following up to make sure we find a good home for them. With some luck it will be this week.
Glad to hear it. Nicely done indeed.
Cibalo
we got the smaller one adopted yesterday and is doing well. Family is very committed to working with him and have experience with very timid dogs.

Also got a call on the other one today so maybe that will work out.
drummer0415
AG
That sucks nobody was willing to take
them together.
Cibalo
the couple that took the smaller one are co-workers of mine so I talk to them daily and we are trying it out. but based on the report this morning it sounds like he is real depressed and very unresponsive. just hides under the wheelbarrow and won't come out for anything.

I'm going to bring them something with his brother's scent on it at lunch to try and maybe take the brother over to their house for a bit this weekend. Still unsure if that last part is a good idea or not. but if he doesn't come out of his shell soon I think we will need to get him back and make this a package deal.
tlfw378
AG
It is hard enough for healthy and well taken care of dogs to adjust to complete stangers and a new environment. Abused puppy is probably scared to death and the only one he knows is his brother. Get those brothers back together. Together, those dogs can thrive in a healthy environment.
coyote68
Bad idea. Siblings together do not make good dogs They have great difficulty adjusting to the pecking order in a pack. If they are your dogs, you had better be the alpha and only alpha at your house. If they are siblings, you are doing them a favor by departing them.
coyote68
Our best Catagoula ever looked just like those 2. His name was Chewbacca, Chewie for short.

Great deer hunter hunter, dove hunter, friend, and loved to watch Aggie football. He would climb a ladder straight up in a deer tower and sit in a swivel chair to look for deer. When he saw one, he had a low growl. He barked directly at you, if you missed a dove. Always rode in the back seat, only trip in a crate to South Texas, he barked so long an loud we stopped to let him poop. He immediately jumped in the back seat, no poop!
tlfw378
AG
You know nothing about dogs.
coyote68
I say this respectfully, I desire to learn. Please communicate your thoughts.

Horse and dog behaviors are topics I have studied and practiced for over 50 years. The older I get, the more I realize how little I know.

I am all ears and eyes.

Thanks!
Cibalo
Just to update on the status. We took our rescue over to see his brother at this new place. Where before he was very shy and would not interact with anyone he lit up once he saw his brother. They had a good 7 hours there together and with the other dogs. Since then he has really opened up to them and is more engaged with them and the other dogs. They have decided to keep him and he will have a great home.

The other dog we have just found a new home for him in Atlanta. There is a retired couple with a 1 yr old female (fixed) Plot hound. They do a lot of outdoor activities and the couple believes in spending a lot of time with the dogs and keeping them active. They stay inside the house at night. They have been looking for young male and jumped at the chance to adopt our. They will have him fixed and give him the attention and training that we cannot. So on Saturday I'm loading him up and driving to Mississippi to meet his new owner halfway.
drummer0415
AG
Good bull
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Outstanding!!!
Cibalo
last update.

Drove out to Gulfport, MS on Saturday to meet the new owners from Atlanta. Once the figured out the deal was real and not some scam they loaded him up and drove back home.

Report over the weekend is that he gets along very well with their young female Plott. They took him out to the lake and he ran around off leash and chased waves caused by boats going by. Overall he seams to be adapting very well and found a great home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.