Outdoors
Sponsored by

Moving from California to Texas

2,715 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CE Lounge Lizzard
SharkinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys I'm moving back to Texas this November. I've been going to school in Southern California. I have some furniture and a few other things I would like a moving company to ship back for me. There is really no rush to get this stuff back and I'm willing to wait a few months to have access to it. I'll be fully employed around June 2018. It can sit in a shed until then. I really don't care. I'm just looking for the cheapest way to move it back. Anyone here have any experience with this kind of move?
Long Live Sully
AG
Years ago I got my grandmother's piano when she passed away. We lived in Ga at the time. I got a quote from a mover and it was almost $2000. I built a crate and shipped it LTL for about $400. Not elegant, but a whole lot less.

I would try the POD thing or check into an LTL carrier if you have things that you can crate.
rather be fishing
AG
I ask you to please reconsider bring the komifornia polticks to Texas.

We don't need anymore of it.
highvelocity
AG
Burn it.
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
BowSowy
AG
When my wife moved from CA to Houston a few years ago, we looked into all options. The cheapest option we found was to rent one of those pods from ABF and have them move it. https://www.upack.com/abf

Her stuff was able to fit into one of the smaller pods easily, but we reserved 2 of the smaller pods just in case. Since we didn't use the other one, we didn't get charged for it. We also loaded everything into the pod and unloaded the pod ourselves, and we had the pod shipped to their shipping yard in Houston, rather than to our front door step.

All of those were cost saving measures, by the way. All told, I think we spent around $1100 to have her pod shipped. UHaul was going to be ~$1500 and we had to drive the damn thing. Hiring an actual moving truck to do that was a LOT more expensive.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Unless the items have sentimental value I'd recommend selling them there and buying something here. If you're going to store them, you need to add the cost of the move plus the total cost of the storage to see if its worth it. My guess is it isn't. But that's a decision only you could make.

If I was moving to another state, I would honestly take as little as I could get away with. Hell, I moved across the city a little less than a decade ago and brought a couch, recliner, TV, desk, table, computers, tools, file cabinet and files, clothes, and small items. Sold or gave away the rest.

By the way, I had a nice couch my parents gave me jacked from a storage center when I was at A&M. Likely an inside job, but the point is that these storage places aren't totally secure.
EFE
AG
Sell all of your crap and buy all the guns once you get back to Texas
HalifaxAg
AG
I'm with the purging yourself by fire idea...movers are very expensive unless your company is paying for it. If you're really attached to the stuff, buy yourself a small utility trailer and move the items yourself....that is if you can navigate the Kalifornia bureaucracy, licensing, emissions testing, training classes and safety requirements (and taxes) of buying a trailer and modifying your solar-powered, grain-free, non-genetically engineered gerbil-powered automobile.

When you get here, you can just throw it in the back of the truck and go.
Satellite of Love
Houston is full, try El Paso.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

I support this.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

EagleFordEarl said:

I support this.
Really, I wonder why. Probably not ONLY because it's a dang good plan.
SquirrellyDan
AG
When I moved back from Maryland, we used Old Dominon Freight. They drop a trailer off, you pack your stuff, they pick it up and deliver it to your house/storage. You are only charged per foot of trailer space used. We ended up getting moved for about the same price of renting a U Haul.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

TheEyeGuy said:

EagleFordEarl said:

I support this.
Really, I wonder why. Probably not ONLY because it's a dang good plan.
I have no idea what you could mean by that...
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

Why Eye Guy, whatever do you mean?

When I get a chance, I want to make the trip over from San Anto (orale), see the shop & purchase something.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.