Outdoors
Sponsored by

What is trashing my yard?

4,998 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oruc Reis
AgsMnn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go to Harbor Freight and get the motion sensor.

Put sensor by hole and alarm next to bed.

When it goes off, grab your stuff and go hunting.
marble rye
AG
Don't kill them. Trap and release in rich people's yards.
John1248
AG
Papa_Blaze said:

It's key that you do it at 3 am

At 3 am, they will come.
John1248
AG

Reese Bobby: Oh hell, Son, I was high that day. That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be up at 1 am, 2 am hell you can even be up at 5 or 6 am.
Ricky Bobby: What? I've lived my whole life by that!

John1248
AG
I've got a few funny armadillo stories, but one of my favorites. You can sneak up and catch an armadillo, but anyone who has tried, knows you'll never pull one out of his hole.

My first ever trip to a deer lease, we go with another father and son. The other kid is a couple years older than me. We've been sitting in a blind for a few hours and nothing. Finally we see an armadillo milling around outside the blind. Other kid wants to catch him. I say fine, but you better catch him before he gets to his hole. We crawl out of the blind and he attempts to sneak up on said armadillo. A chase ensues, the armadillo makes it to his hole, and the other kid in an attempt to catch him dives right onto a big pile of cactus. Mind you, its colder than,(insert favorite saying here), and the kids has about 3 layers of clothes on including sweat pants. Now all full of cactus needles. The look on his dads face when we got back to camp was priceless.
B-1 83
AG
The size of the diggings makes me lean towards an armadillo vs. a skunk. If that's his hole under the foundation, use 2x6s to guide him right into a live trap. They aren't too bright.
DifferenceMaker Ag
We used to have tons of armadillos when i was a kid. I saw one milling around, turning over rocks, looking for food once not more than 20 feet away. I decided to stand perfectly still to see how close he would get to me before he noticed. A few minutes later, he worked himself right up to me, and actually attempted to turn over my shoe. I died laughing and he almost crapped himself.

When I was a bit older, my brothers and some friends and I were at the camp house during deer season. It was a nice evening, and I took a walk with an older brother to pass the time. Everyone else stayed behind. There was a 10 acre tank that we walked around, and there were armadillo holes everywhere. Sure enough, we soon spotted one and gave chase, but he made it to his hole. My brother did manage to reach in up to his shoulder and pull him out by the tail.

Meanwhile, my oldest brother and one of his friends decided to lay out their bedding in the back of our truck and sleep al fresco for the evening. By the time my brother and I returned, they were laying down, tailgate up. Of course we threw that armadillo in the bed with them. Still haven't heard the end of that one.
Tursiops93
AG
will.mcg said:

Instead of predators urine I create a perimeter of my own urine. Neighborhood dogs cower when they catch my scent. Possums play possum at first whiff.
Eat asparagus for dinner first! Much more effective!
Aggie Basser
I've trapped 10 in the past two months with a cheap live trap. Just put it in a funnel, such as between a bush and against the house. I've also placed a piece of fire wood or two to funnel them into it. Even caught two possums without any bait. These things are horrible this year! Also have done the 3am alarm, but I use a .22.
Oruc Reis
AG
My favorite armadillo encounter was many years ago. Middle of the day, rooting around in the grass and leaves. Every time it put its head down I would sneak closer. I eventually got right behind it and was about to grab it when it turned around. I froze and thought it would see me and take off... nope. Walked in between my legs and never even noticed me. I waited to jump around and grab it so it wouldn't jump startled straight into my junk. Scared that sucker pretty good, not sure how on earth he didn't hear see or smell me.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.