Outdoors
Sponsored by

Used boat searches

4,965 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FishingAggie
Coin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for a used shallow water bay boat, ideally over 20', for less than $35K. Looking at something like a Shallow Sport, Majek, Dargel, etc.

Other than the normal sites that pop up on an internet search, do you guys know of any forums with a good classified section, or better used boat sites? I live in the Lower Laguna Madre area, but may be willing to travel to Houston for the right deal.
MouthBQ98
AG
Craigslist works if you do a lot of research and try before you buy.
Coin
I've been watching craiglist. Just curious about other sites.
Aggieangler93
AG
There are decent boat classifieds for this type boat on 2coolfishing.com.

I believe you have to make an account first.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Salt of the water
AG
Used boat hunting is a hobby of mine. For a tunnel boat boat like you're looking for Craigslist, 2coolfishing, boat trader and some of the bigger boat dealers that carry a large used inventory are probably your best bets. I'm sure Dargel and Shallow Sport down in the RGV get a decent number of trade-ins as well, may not hurt to let them know you're looking.

Craigslist is probably your best bet for a deal. 2cool and boat trader will probably have better maintained boats than the average CL boat, but you'll probably also pay a little more.

Set up search alerts in the major metro area craigslists to ping you when a model you're interested in pops up. Brownsville, Mcallen, and Corpus CL sites get the best traffic on the tunnel boats you're looking at, but they're pretty common for Victoria and Houston as well. Occasionally they'll pop up on San Antonio and Austin CLs sometimes for more money than a boat on the coast but often for less.

Shallow sports are going to cost you a premium over the others on your list but will probably also have a slightly better re-sale.

Seems to be quite a few 21' Majek RFLs on the market right now. That'd be a good Arroyo City boat, but maybe not as comfortable riding out of Mansfield or PI.

Whatever you do, take it somewhere and get it inspected unless you're very familiar and used to working on whatever type of motor it has.

Also, not sure about your budget / financing plans, but financing a used boat can be tricky depending on age. Paying for a cheaper boat with a blown motor (buying the hull) outright and financing a new motor can be much easier.
wamvoss
Check out 2coolfishing.com classifieds
Coin
2coolfishing.com is exactly the kind of site I was looking for! Thanks

I like the Majek RFL, but I have the same concern about crossing the bay on a typical afternoon.

Aggieangler93
AG
Crossing any large body of water in a Majek RFL with more than slight chop requires an athletic support!! I know the last time I rode in one, I swore I would never do it again.

Last time I thought I was in the market, I was looking at Shallow Sport cats or Shoalwater cats. We wade a lot of skinny water in the mid-coast.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
FIDO*98*
AG
Keep a close eye on 2cool and you'll eventually see a ShoalCat23 at that price. If you're ok with a 21', you'll find that even faster. A Cat boat is going to run 99% of places a SS or RFL will go and you'll be way more comfortable on the ride.

I'd also call Jarred Poole at Waypoint Marine in Corpus and let him know what you're looking for. They deal in Shoalwater and a Dargel. I'd also reach out to Dargel directly and ask for Cleeve Ford who is an Aggie and one of the owners. Really good guy and he may be able to help find something

EFE
AG
You can also call those manufacturers listed and see if they have a deal on a trade in.
SabineAg
AG
Facebook Texas Used Boats for Sale. Great deals there
FishingAggie
Be careful right now. Lots of boats damaged from by Harvey showing up. People dumping boats damaged or under water.

Have a good mechanic check it out. If it's too good to be true it probably is.
FCBlitz
I am looking for a small boat. Will trade a $5k piano.
FIDO*98*
AG
FishingAggie said:

Be careful right now. Lots of boats damaged from by Harvey showing up. People dumping boats damaged or under water.

Flip side is there are people who got their boats out, but, have so much hurricane damage they can't justify owning the boat any more. I have a friend who has over 100K in property damage with an 11K wind deductible and probably looking at another 8-10K in uninsured costs. He's probably going to have to sell his Majek Illusion to cover his losses
Towns03
AG
I came here just now (OB) to ask for opinions on the shallow sport mod-v. Looks like the OP and I t think alike!

I also just saw a 2016 blue wave (new) for sale so cheap it's hard to ignore ($34K). any thoughts on these rigs?

I hope this is good info for the OP and not a hijack....

p.s. 2cool is the site you're looking for.
rather be fishing
AG
Salt, you need to start a side business as a boat finder.
Salt of the water
AG
Harvey is a double edged sword like the above posters covered. Some people will try to unload damaged boats, but others are selling off boats to pay for home repairs. Don't run away, just be wary and get that inspection.

Rather be fishing: it's hard enough to convince people to pay a mechanic and/or marine surveyor to do a pre purchase inspection. I'm not sure there's a market of people willing to pay someone to help then find a used boat.

Towns: Those deeper V boats will draft and run deeper than the ultra skinny rigs OP is looking for. They'll also be smoother on a choppy day in any of the bigger/deeper bays. Great boats for West Matagorda, Galveston, and Sabine. I'd add Pathfinder and Haynie Bigfoot to that list. The blue waves are solid boats, I just don't think their fit and finish is top of the line.

Be aware of the issues with tunnel V boats with a big sharp bow up front transitioning to a flat bottom and big tunnel in the stern. They've been known to swap ends (plow a wave and do a wild 180) and eject and injure passengers. They can be operated safely, but it's good to be aware of. I'd personally stick to a hull that carries some dead rise all the way through the stern.
FishingAggie
I'd hit up the dealers in corpus. The guys getting rid of boats down here are leaving them at the dealers because there's no room anywhere else

The dealers are cherry picking the biats that are a good deal because there are so many. They wi at least check it for you.

A redfish Line majek , with a trp will go anywhere you want but it's a rough ride.

There's no perfect boat. Shallow = rough. That's why you see a lot of guides with airboats and bay boats. One that'll ride well in rougher water for trout season and an airboat for redfish and duck season

Pick what you like best. A deeper draft boat will get you anywhere you want to go and you can always wade the shallow areas you can't reach.

Just an opinion. Salt is right on target. Listen to him
Coin
FIDO*98* said:

FishingAggie said:

Flip side is there are people who got their boats out, but, have so much hurricane damage they can't justify owning the boat any more. I have a friend who has over 100K in property damage with an 11K wind deductible and probably looking at another 8-10K in uninsured costs. He's probably going to have to sell his Majek Illusion to cover his losses
I'm really looking for an Illusion, so if he decides he needs to sell in the near future I'd be interested to see it.

Thanks everyone, for the help. I looked at the hurricane as more of an opportunity rather than be scared away. An inspection will be part of whatever deal is made.

Coin
Towns03 said:

I came here just now (OB) to ask for opinions on the shallow sport mod-v. Looks like the OP and I t think alike!

I also just saw a 2016 blue wave (new) for sale so cheap it's hard to ignore ($34K). any thoughts on these rigs?

I hope this is good info for the OP and not a hijack....

p.s. 2cool is the site you're looking for.
I have been on a Shallow Sport Mod-V. They are nice boats and work well in the bay, and even offshore! I went snapper fishing once once with some guys, and we took two boats, a Mod-V and a Sea Pro with a deep V hull. The Sea Pro couldn't keep up with the Shallow Sport, and even ended up breaking a stringer trying!

Personally, I'm just not a fan of the looks, otherwise they are great boats.
Towns03
AG
Serious question: are haynie's actually quality boats?? I've never been on one, but they look like a really basic, cheap design. the gunwales look like they came off the cheapest no-name fiberglass CC out there.
Towns03
AG
no kidding?? My last boat had a deep V, not a flats boat, and it seemed like the V'ed hull right under my feet is what cut the waves first in rough chop.

I would think a boat with a flat bottom would be rough... that's my biggest concern about the SS.
redass1876
AG
Texas Fishing Forum has a good classified section too
Salt of the water
AG
I don't have one and haven't run one, but from everything I've heard Haynie makes a solid boat. Tabs and a little extra length can make a huge difference in how well various mid 20 ft boats handle chop, especially ones with dead rise in the teens.

I think it depends on what you consider "quality". I see lots of $50k+ Texas made boats that have plastic drop in hatches. Also still see a good bit of chopper gun glass on Texas boats. To me that is pretty cheap. A good number of the budget poling skiffs made in Florida still have guttered and sealed, flush fiberglass hatches.

There are lots of little things that go into a boat that are not always immediately obvious but can signify quality:
Is the wiring neat, tidy, and up to AYBC standards?
Are the hatches and bilge finished inside or just fiberglass?
Is the gas tank accessible?
Do the stringers have limber holes to allow drainage to the bilge?
Are things screwed into the deck bedded in epoxy, or just 5200?
Is the glassing cloth or matt? Did they use the chopper gun a bunch or not at all? These can be tough to tell on a finished / painted boat.
Hand laid glass / vacuum infused?

Notes on some other used boat sites:
As noted above, TFF has great bass boat classifieds their saltwater selection is usually fairly light.

If you're looking for a poling skiff or flats boat (Florida style) microskiff and florida sportsman.

If you're looking for an offshore boat the hull truth.
Ragoo
AG
Quote:

I see lots of $50k+ Texas made boats that have plastic drop in hatches.

A stroll around the boat show every year and I see this all the time. I am not sure why anyone would pay that much money for hatches that are not flush to the deck or are made of plastic. Looking at you Shoalwater.
Ragoo
AG
Salt of the water said:

Used boat hunting is a hobby of mine.
i am right there with you. I have big dreams of multiple boats for different water related activities. I just need to find the cash and time.
FishingAggie
I've never owned a haynie. I can't speak for them but I've ridden in several. They ride well ( except the cat-it's rough but runs very shallow)

I have my second 25' majek extreme. I love it. Zero complaints and IMO it's finished out much cleaner than the haynie. Only reason I have it over the haynie I suppose. Both are fast and smooth boats.

If I was only going to fish shallow water I'd get a haynie cat or the illusion.

They are pretty equal except o think majek again finishes their boats better. Just one guy's opinion.

My friend has an illusion. It's rough but it'll go anywhere. We use it a lot to redfish, shallow water. I prefer my boat on any occasion it's windy or we're heading across the bay.

Both those boats are locally made ( majek is cc and haynie is in seadrift sold mainly in aransas pass). The warranties are really good as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.