Outdoors
Sponsored by

Ursus...standard mountain lion sighting

4,845 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When was the last confirmed report of a mountain lion in Brazoria county? I don't know how to look that information up.

Standard facebook post - a neighbor of mine swears they saw a cougar in their yard early this morning. Did the normal facebook blast on the neighborhood page. I told them I guaranteed it was not a cougar, likely a large bobcat at best. Would like to just point out the last time (if ever) there was a confirmed cougar in my county to nip this in the bud before every housewife freaks out over a damned yellow lab or a tabby cat.
ursusguy
AG
That's outside of my area I know the stats off the top of my head on (I know District 5 real well, and District 3 pretty well). I would have to contact the state mammologist to get real particular.

That being said, Brazoria County does not make the 1983-2005 Mountain Lion Mortalities map everyone likes to post.
BoerneGator
AG
After all, when was the first time anyone saw a mountain, much less a mountain lion in Brazoria county?
Serious Lee
i remember some people in my parents neighborhood talking about a black panther about 8-9 years ago. they live between lake jackson and brazoria.

in 1991, when we moved to lake jackson, our neighbor had a couple horses that got all tore up one night. the owner checked on them in the morning and they were laying down panting like they had been running all night, just exhausted almost to death. i was only a small kid at the time but i vividly remember the scratch marks on their backs. if that wasnt a mountain lion i dont know what it was.

Strange as it sounds i was recently reminded of this by the owners wife when she said they had wolves, or red wolf-coyote hybrids as the TPWD officer told her when she was inquring about a missing cat.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

i remember some people in my parents neighborhood talking about a black panther about 8-9 years ago. they live between lake jackson and brazoria.

in 1991, when we moved to lake jackson, our neighbor had a couple horses that got all tore up one night. the owner checked on them in the morning and they were laying down panting like they had been running all night, just exhausted almost to death. i was only a small kid at the time but i vividly remember the scratch marks on their backs. if that wasnt a mountain lion i dont know what it was.

Strange as it sounds i was recently reminded of this by the owners wife when she said they had wolves, or red wolf-coyote hybrids as the TPWD officer told her when she was inquring about a missing cat.

Serious Lee
lol, you didnt have to quote that whole thing to call me a liar.

i still stand by my statement. just wish we had cameraphones 25 years ago.
Sean98
AG
Quote:

i was only a small kid at the time but i vividly remember the scratch marks on their backs. if that wasnt a mountain lion i dont know what it was.
Barbed.

Wire.
ursusguy
AG
I can pretty well garuntee either barbwire or metal sheeting.

There may be some red wolves dna lurking around, but not enough to make a hill of beans difference. This gets recirculated around every couple years. In fact it popped up again through my office last month. The rumor of the Collin/Grayson County coyote being partially red wolf popped again. They like to point out scientific paper from 2010 in a go hum journal as proof. The sample size is tiny, study area is tiny, and folks make some pretty grand statements from the results (not the authors, more casual readers). Best part, for a politically significant species (hell red wolf or coyote), no one from TPWD knew about or had any connection to this research......but it really isn't a shocker or hard deal to figure out. That particular area was popular for dumping wolf-dog hybrids in the late 90's/early 2000's well people figured out they made for fairly crappy pets. Shocker, wolf DNA is present in a very diluted amount.
schmellba99
AG
BoerneGator said:

After all, when was the first time anyone saw a mountain, much less a mountain lion in Brazoria county?
We have Damon mound, pendejo!!!!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

lol, you didnt have to quote that whole thing to call me a liar.

i still stand by my statement. just wish we had cameraphones 25 years ago.

I didn't say you were a liar.

My post was in reference to the fact that out of the multitudes of times we hear about livestock, especially horses, which supposedly have been attacked by a mountain lion that it's turned out to be barbed wire or sheet metal nearly 100% of the time.

And then there's the fact that people claim they've seen a black panther and they simply don't exist.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

And then there's the fact that people claim they've seen a black panther and they simply don't exist, except in people's imaginations.
FIFY
Finn Maccumhail
AG
BoerneGator said:

Quote:

And then there's the fact that people claim they've seen a black panther and they simply don't exist, except in people's imaginations.
FIFY

schmellba99
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

Sugar Mill doesn't have mountain lions. Even in the dense riverbottom on the south side of 332 there isn't anything out of the ordinary there. Trust me, that place is wooded and spooky - but there isn't a square foot of it that hasn't been trapsed upon by hog hunters, poachers from Brazoria during deer season, catfishers from the river or the occasional meth head.

The only black panthers in the area would be found over on east end in Freeport.
ursusguy
AG

You can skip to about 29:00. I got prep the TPWD biologist that got stuck with this glorious show with talking points. Color me shocked on the DNA test.....side note, she is one of the best trackers in the state.
Brush Country
Uncle Gunnysack said:

That's nothin. We got chupacabra down here in STX.
TAMUallen
AG
Brush Country said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

That's nothin. We got chupacabra down here in STX.

And owls with la bruja!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thread didn't disappoint, although I am a little shocked how fast the black panther sighting showed up.

Serious Lee

it definitely wasnt metal sheeting, ive seen that damage first hand. barb wire would be the safe bet especially since the two mares were on only a small 1 acre patch but what would have spooked them to run so foolishly? i realize horses arent smart but what gives?

i actually thought of you, ursusguy, when she mentioned the red wolf/coyote hybrid story. she was asking me about my dog, which got killed by coyotes, and i thought i remembered you being the first to educate me on that subject of interbreeding. i even argued with her for a few minutes about wolves in texas, and thats when i remembered how lowly you think of some TPWD officers.
Serious Lee
schmellba99 said:

Sugar Mill doesn't have mountain lions. Even in the dense riverbottom on the south side of 332 there isn't anything out of the ordinary there. Trust me, that place is wooded and spooky - but there isn't a square foot of it that hasn't been trapsed upon by hog hunters, poachers from Brazoria during deer season, catfishers from the river or the occasional meth head.

The only black panthers in the area would be found over on east end in Freeport.
great to see another brazoria countian native. the person who reported it was in buffalo camp though and I regret relaying the "Black panther" news in my OP now cause i never believed that story but still to this day never saw scratch marks like i did on the two mares as i did 25 years ago. Again, glad we have cameraphones nowdays where nothing escapes us.
ursusguy
AG
It's not lowly, just some game wardens are just as prone to rumor and hearsay as the general public. Mountain lion is initially exciting, and they want to roll with it. After a few rounds of German Shepherds, they figure it out. Keep in mind for education and general background, some grew up hunting and fishing and may actually have a related college degree. But you are also just as likely to have a Criminal Justice degree, and what they know about wildlife is what they learned in the academy. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, as long as either self recognizes a personal shortfalling, it can work great.

I loved working with game wardens. Most of the time it was a great partnership. I still have 6 on my phone. They call me with biology questions, and I call them about grey areas in regulations I don't know off the top of my head.

But yeah, it is frustrating when a gw confirms canine tracks as lions, or it is locally well known that the gw is a huge proponent of black panthers.
Serious Lee
ursusguy said:

But yeah, it is frustrating when a gw confirms canine tracks as lions, or it is locally well known that the gw is a huge proponent of black panthers.
Bwahaha gif insert
schmellba99
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

schmellba99 said:

great to see another brazoria countian native. the person who reported it was in buffalo camp though and I regret relaying the "Black panther" news in my OP now cause i never believed that story but still to this day never saw scratch marks like i did on the two mares as i did 25 years ago. Again, glad we have cameraphones nowdays where nothing escapes us.
Yep, grew up in LJ, left in 1997 when I finished up a couple of years of juco at Brazosport College and went to A&M. Back in Brazoria County now, though I'm up towards the middle part of it and not down in LBC.

Buffalo Camp, Rigg's Oaks and Sugar Mill all encompass the same area to me - pretty much everything from Buffalo Camp Road west along 332 towards Brazoria until you get to the reservoir.

I still remember when Riverside was the hoity toity golf course and lowly serfs like us had to slum it on Freeport Muni. Riverside is long gone now. First time I drove over the new bridge into Brazoria it got me confused - I didn't know they had redone all of that at the time. It was also a sad day when the Armadillo closed its doors.
12f Mane
AG
schmellba99 said:

Uncle Gunnysack said:

Don't forget herpers. Brazoria Co is a big time herper and birder area with loads of data an all sorts of biota.
schmellba99
AG
If you say so (on the herping). Plenty of snakes in the riverbottoms, for sure.

Bird watching has always been a big thing, the massive marshlands of BNWF, Peach Point and Follet's are a huge nesting ground for birds.
malenurse
AG
Quote:

Don't forget herpers. Brazoria Co is a big time herper and birder area with loads of data an all sorts of biota.
Damn, the first time I read that I thought you said Herpes. Now, that would have been a story.
schmellba99
AG
malenurse said:

Quote:

Damn, the first time I read that I thought you said Herpes. Now, that would have been a story.
Honestly, in that area...yeah, wouldn't be all that shocking.
Sean98
AG
Quote:

I loved working with game wardens. Most of the time it was a great partnership. I still have 6 on my phone. They call me with biology questions, and I call them about grey areas in regulations I don't know off the top of my head.
I'm just impressed your GW know the actual regulations. You'd be amazed at how many don't.

You would not be amazed how how un-amused they are when you explain the actual reg to them and how it should be enforced.

(We actually have a lot of really good GW/COs in Kansas, but my urban unit tends to get the newbies or the slackers that can't cut it out west where there is a lot more hunting.)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.