Outdoors
Sponsored by

Breakfast tacos

14,098 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieChemist
SunrayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agsalaska said:

And for me there is a difference between a breakfast taco and a breakfast burrito. A breakfast burrito is just a really big breakfast taco.
I have always thought of a breakfast taco as something you eat with 1 hand, and a breakfast burrito as something you eat off of a plate with a fork.
West Texan
AG
Eliminatus said:

West Texan said:

Cstrickland05 said:

OutdoorsAg_10 said:

Secolobo said:

North of 290 they call them breakfast burritos.

When I hear someone say that it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Same here, bugs the hell out of me when people call tacos burritos.

1. I never have understood why some people get so upset about this.
2. Where I'm from, it's rolled like a burrito, therefore it's a breakfast burrito. So calling it a breakfast taco would be incorrect.

Either way, my favorite is chorizo, potato, egg, and cheese.
Exactly. Gonna take a wild guess and say you are from west Texas, as I am. I never heard them called tacos until I got to BCS. Really weird at first.

I still call them burritos from time to time out of spite.

Same here, except it was a trip to San Antonio as a kid.
West Texan
AG
SunrayAg said:

agsalaska said:

And for me there is a difference between a breakfast taco and a breakfast burrito. A breakfast burrito is just a really big breakfast taco.
I have always thought of a breakfast taco as something you eat with 1 hand, and a breakfast burrito as something you eat off of a plate with a fork.

To me the difference is how it's presented. Tacos are served open, burritos are rolled and folded. Up here all the Mexican places roll them up and advertise them as burritos.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
West Texan said:

SunrayAg said:

agsalaska said:

To me the difference is how it's presented. Tacos are served open, burritos are rolled and folded. Up here all the Mexican places roll them up and advertise them as burritos.

Oh man, it keeps getting worse. Tell you what....all you guys north of San Antone just leave this taco stuff to us. When it comes time to debate kolaches and pigs in blankets, we'll relinquish the podium.
helloag99
I'm not a huge egg or bean fan.

Laredo Taqueria in Houston has these spicy sausage tacos that are amazing.

Thinly sliced link BBQ sausage (ala chapel hill but cheap stuff), onion, japs, and bell pepper.

They have a huge griddle and the lady just churns about a 10" pile of this stuff on the griddle.

So freaking good.

Also, I love Rudy's brisket, spicy sausage, and cheese. Again, no egg. Their tortillas are not fresh but decent.
Tailgate88
AG
+1 La Familia on Barron Rd. Best in BCS with the possible exception of a couple places in the hood in Bryan.

Questions: What are ramps? And for those who put beans in homemade tacos, how do you prepare them? Same for potatoes? We dice and fry ours but interested in other options.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Gota De Limon said:

West Texan said:

SunrayAg said:

agsalaska said:

Oh man, it keeps getting worse. Tell you what....all you guys north of San Antone just leave this taco stuff to us. When it comes time to debate kolaches and pigs in blankets, we'll relinquish the podium.
Growing up in Corpus, we - and all of my family from Laredo - always called them taquitos. It wasn't until the 90's that people (except for the gringoest of gringos, who I guess couldn't say taquito?) called them "breakfast tacos." So let's not get all "La Raza" up in here, homes . . .
B-1 83
AG
Bean, bacon, and cheese
Barbacoa ON CORN w\onions and cilantro
Carne guisada
Picadillo

*pico de gallo may appear on any of the above, even at 6 am
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
They ARE taquitos. That's the point.....they're tacos. Not burritos. Que viva!
schmellba99
AG
Gota De Limon said:

schmellba99 said:

Gota De Limon said:

Machacado ala Mexicana.

Everything else starts at second place.

Negative. Mendoza's in Clute. Anything else is a pretender.

You know how you got a reputation for arguing about anything on this board? This is a perfect example. Let me know when you figure it out.
Uhhhh...ok?
Richard Trickle
AG
One of the few perks of growing up in Castroville is Margie's tacos.
West Texan
AG
Gota De Limon said:

West Texan said:

SunrayAg said:

agsalaska said:

This is what I don't get. Not sure why you feel the need to get on your high horse about what other people in other places call a breakfast item, and that somehow they're completely wrong for it.

If the menu says breakfast burrito/taco/taquito, my gringo ass sure isn't about to correct them!
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
First off, we ride burros down here.
Second, you call it what you want but stay off my ass when I call a pig in a blanket a "kolache"
West Texan
AG
Gota De Limon said:

First off, we ride burros down here.
Second, you call it what you want but stay off my ass when I call a pig in a blanket a "kolache"

I don't give a **** what you call those, I'm not Eastern European.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Taquitos are those terrible things Whataburger sells with the processed cheese slice

A burrito is a much larger event that is all encasing

A breakfast taco is meant to be small and you can mix and match ingredients

Sorry Mexico and West Texas that we have better breakfast tacos than you

RGV AG
AG
Rochas Bakery in Mission, Texas. As recently as a few months ago the price for a breakfast taco, one filling, was $0.59 each. Flour (made there) or corn tortillas. By one filling I refer to the usual things mixed with eggs, beans, etc. I think Barbacoa is $0.89 a taco. They usually have about 12 choices, i.e. potato and egg, bacon and egg, bean and chorizo, nopales and egg, etc. When winter Texans are around the wait can be as long as 20-30 mintues to get up to the counter to order. Mrs. Rocha told me that on a busy Sunday they will sell over 200 dozen breakfast tacos.

These folks started with a section of a closed gas station and now have free standing 3 stores, all in the Mission area, and their daughter is an Aggie.

Obviously they are smaller tacos but 3 tacos is plenty good for breakfast, just about right.

In terms of ingredients in a taco, Nopal and egg is one of my favorites as is Chicharron en Salsa. Hadn't seen these mentioned.

Back before the prices went up, I could get three tacos and a DP, breakfast of champions mind you, for less than two dollars at Rocha's. They beat the hell out of Stripes.

For quality, value, and selection I doubt that there is a place in Texas, or northern Mexico, that can touch this place.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Barbacoa con cilantro y seboya on corn tortillas at Mary's Taco in Kerrville
BBQ brisket con guacamole y tomate (on corn) at Juan's Tacos in Devine
You can thank me later
shaynew1
AG
?

gillom
AG
Holy Bacon
aTm2004
AG
No ***** Why did they skimp on the bacon?
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
shaynew1
AG
Just thought after all this mess everyone talked you guys needed to see a real breakfast taco
agsalaska
AG
I made breakfast tacos this morning. Eggs, deer sausage, local hot sauce, velveeta shredded cheese, mission flour tortillas.

There were no leftovers.
Hoss
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Taquitos are those terrible things Whataburger sells with the processed cheese slice

Again...I've never met a breakfast taco/burrito/taquito
I didn't like. Slap three of those bad boys down in front of me and I'll eat them all with a sausage BOB and hash browns on the side.

This is why I'm fat, people.
schmellba99
AG
This thread inspired me to make some tacos this morning for breakfast. Boudin mixed with my egg, brown sugar and bourbon cured homemade bacon, fresh tortillas (flour, because all other suck) and some Sadie's salsa.

I took a nap after. They were bueno.

Yes, I am aware that I am somehow being argumentative. Dont care.
CharlieBrown17
AG
schmellba99 said:

Yes, I am aware that I am somehow being argumentative. Dont care.

You argumentative? No.....
MarylandAG
I am amazed that someone remembers them being called "Mariachis" in Laredo. I thought I was the only one that remembered that! I grew up in Zapata and that is what they called them in the 70's and early 80's! No matter what you call them they are the breakfast of champions!!!! Off topic a bit but growing up in South,TX at least in my family it was custom to have flour tortillas in the morning and corn in the afternoon. A snack for us was flour tortillas with mantiquilla (butter), I dont want to think how many of those I have had in 48 years! To us a tortilla was a spoon, nothing better in the world than to puncture the yolk on a sunny side up egg and sop it up with a flour tortilla. A note on beans, they are greatness but I prefer them "doughy" if that makes sense, runny refried beans are a mess. To the poster from the valley, there was a place in Laredo that sold them for 39-49 cents how the hell they stayed in business I will never know. Also to the huevo divorciados poster, spot on the mix of red and green salsa is greatness.
AggieChemist
AG
I took breakfast tacos in to share with my crossfit class last Friday am.

Venison chorizo
egg
salsa
cheese
jalapenos

They were a big hit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.