Outdoors
Sponsored by

Any recommendation for public access fishing in northern Louisiana?

792 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rather be fishing
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Expecting this to be a big longshot, but I'm in Shreveport/Monroe/Winnsboro/Ravendale/various other small municipalities over the next few days and hoping to have a couple of hours at some point to attempt to circumvent trees with a fly rod.

Bought 2 days worth of fishing license in case I'm able to find a place after work one day.
Micropterus
AG
I may be of some service here. What towns are you gonna be stayin in?
Micropterus
AG
And where the hell is Ravendale?
rather be fishing
AG
Micropterus said:

And where the hell is Ravendale?
It's west of Coushata.

I'm headed to Winnsboro in the morning from Monroe. I think I'm going to stop by the ranger station near Winnfield and see if they have any recommendations.
Micropterus
AG
If you're staying in Monroe, you might try Cheniere Lake over outside West Monroe. There's a state park over there with some piers and big cypress. Also the spillway, but beware the pwt over that way. Also Darbonne State Park has a decent pier. Lots of bank fishing opportunity around that whole lake.
If you're feeling a little more adventurous, Tensas NWR has some nice little blackwater lakes you can hike to over by the HQ. Yes there are rattlers, mocassins, and alligators so watch your step. But its some really nice scenery, and a picture of what the untamed Louisiana delta swampland looked like prior to settlement. Theres even ruins of an old pre-civil war mansion in the middle of the woods over there. Pretty cool to
see in person.
Oh yeah, and theres black bears too.
rather be fishing
AG
I assume most of these will be a PITA to fish with a fly rod?
rather be fishing
AG
I'm going to keep an eye out on roadside stuff driving the next couple of days. From Winnsboro, I'll be heading back west, so I don't think Tensas will work out, but I'm going to be driving through Boeuf NWR. Any familiarity with that one?
ccard257
AG
Do you have a boat or do you need a place to fish from the bank?
rather be fishing
AG
ccard257 said:

Do you have a boat or do you need a place to fish from the bank?
Bank fishing. I've just started throwing the fly rod in with my crap lately because why the hell not?
ccard257
AG
Yeah I've always got at least one in my truck. A little lunch break fishing is better than nothing.

I vaguely recall the state park on caney creek having areas that would have been ok, but i haven't been there in a long long time so I could be mistaken.

What is your remaining itenary, I'll see if my dad has any suggestions along your route.
rather be fishing
AG
ccard257 said:

Yeah I've always got at least one in my truck. A little lunch break fishing is better than nothing.

I vaguely recall the state park on caney creek having areas that would have been ok, but i haven't been there in a long long time so I could be mistaken.

What is your remaining itenary, I'll see if my dad has any suggestions along your route.
Monroe to Winnsboro a manana to do a wetland delineation, then another site in Grand Cane. I just have to have that work done tomorrow and have some time to do work in a hotel room Thursday. Friday is drive back to Austin and then head to Brownwood for a family thing.

If I happen to find 2-3 hours worth of distraction between Winnsboro and the Texas border, I'd be OK with that.

The route I'm looking at is not on 20. Looking at farther south through the National Forests.
87Flyfisher
AG
Kisatchie Bayou near Nachitoches looks more like a stream in Southeast Oklahoma or SW Arkansas with runnning water and rocks. Spotted Bass and lots of public access.
http://www.native-waters.com/ftos/5-13.htm
Micropterus
AG
Yep, I know Boeuf. Not a fishing destination. I thought about Kisatchie creek as well, but not really too familiar with it. I know its sandy bottom and clear water, which can be rare for LA. Good luck on your travels and have fun exploring!
rather be fishing
AG
I hit a couple of roadside ponds for a very brief amount of time, but work got in the way of life. I'll get my fishing time in eventually.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.