Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone on dove around San Antonio? Looking for hunt

1,689 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brush Country
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
6-8 people for an afternoon hunt Weds/Thursday or both... looking like original plan may not work out due to lack of birds.

Anyone have anything close to SA (not past Hondo) that is holding birds?
Scotty88
AG
Might try Scott Rankin 210-260-3355
909Ag2006
AG
Try Bader Ranch: http://www.hondodovehunt.com/. Pricey, but they always have lots of birds.
Scotty88
AG
Seems that $150 is about the going rate...crying shame but that's what their getting.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
$120-150 is what I have seen most places.
Ragoo
AG
$10 a bird, gross.
PFG
AG
Is the OB really complaining about $150 for an entire day of hunting?

"$10 a bird" is not how I'd be thinking of this.

Assuming this means you can hunt from first shooting light to last shooting light, $150 is a STEAL on the price per hour. So many other OB related activities that are way more expensive to do by the hour, like golf, sporting events, sporting clays, fishing trips, etc. You easily pay a fishing a guide $500 to fish from sunrise to whenever he decides the bite is done (usually in the hour or so after lunch), but we balk at $150 for an ENTIRE DAY in the dove field?

Do the $150. Find a shade tree. Bring a table and some dominoes. When the birds are flying, shoot away. If you don't get 15 in the morning, then play some bones, cards, cook meat over an open flame. Have each guy bring a box of clays and a clay slinger. Get some shooting practice in when the dove aren't active midday. Dove hunting isn't just the hunt - its the whole day of outdoor fun.

If I didn't have a place to dove hunt, I'd be running up to the Bader ranch or similar places with my cash, excited to get an entire day outdoors with my buddies for a fraction of the cost of other outdoor/sports activities.
wadd96
AG
Hearing a lot of hunts cancelled around Hondo... just no birds...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AG_2006
AG
Try brad flippin. 830-305-7838. Schertz area.

Just make sure he'll have you on the big head sunflowers.
texags79
Uvalde has birds
Ragoo
AG
PFG said:

Assuming this means you can hunt from first shooting light to last shooting light, $150 is a STEAL on the price per hour. So many other OB related activities that are way more expensive to do by the hour, like golf, sporting events, sporting clays, fishing trips, etc. You easily pay a fishing a guide $500 to fish from sunrise to whenever he decides the bite is done (usually in the hour or so after lunch), but we balk at $150 for an ENTIRE DAY in the dove field?

Do the $150. Find a shade tree. Bring a table and some dominoes. When the birds are flying, shoot away. If you don't get 15 in the morning, then play some bones, cards, cook meat over an open flame. Have each guy bring a box of clays and a clay slinger. Get some shooting practice in when the dove aren't active midday. Dove hunting isn't just the hunt - its the whole day of outdoor fun.

If I didn't have a place to dove hunt, I'd be running up to the Bader ranch or similar places with my cash, excited to get an entire day outdoors with my buddies for a fraction of the cost of other outdoor/sports activities.
unless you shoot your day limit quickly in the morning.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Chilifest said:

Uvalde has birds

They always do but I am not sure if I want to make the extra 45minute drive out there. I haven't called my guy there but may entertain the idea.
PFG
AG
Quote:

unless you shoot your day limit quickly in the morning.

Shoot 10 in the AM and give yourself the day to play
mtony77
AG
looking for a spot between SA and Austin as well
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Or shoot 15 in the morning and 15* in the evening

*Eurasian/Ring-Necks
Brush Country
PFG said:

See, this is the kinda guy I like to hunt with.
PFG
AG
You're welcome at my dove field domino *table any time.

*Shade tree required.
Reel Aggies
AG
Most all the hunts around Hondo are $150/p for morning OR evening, no all day hunts. The guy I hunt with changed to this this year and Paloma pachanga was priced like this when I called before season.
sornman
In-laws have a place outside of Hondo/Devine offering dove hunts. Not sure on current pricing, but they have a post on their page from 9/11 listing $80 for a full day as things were slowing down.

https://www.facebook.com/mandbfarms/
Brush Country
Whats the story with the lack of dove around Hondo? That area is usually loaded.

My dad and ranch foreman are reporting usual to above average numbers in Live Oak County.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.