Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bow Hunters, Need Some Help...

1,340 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by montanagriz
Qfaced~ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever used magnification lenses on sights before? Eyesight is starting to fade a little and having a tough time picking up targets (block and 3D) at 40+ yards and accuracy has been in decline. Tried shooting with glasses but hasn't made much (if at all) of a difference so looking for other options.

Shoot a Spot Hogg 5-pin and it appears that I will have to get a sunshade adapter, magnification lens (2x, 4x, 6x) and possibly a clarifying lens for the peep but not sure if the results will be worth the cost ($200+). Any advice/input is much appreciated.
AgySkeet06
AG
Interested as well. Had lasik surgery about 10 years ago and my right eye bled during the procedure. They warned me that it likely wouldnt take well in that eye. Its good for daily stuff but have a hard time focusing with just that eye. Even with brighter pins I sometimes find myself more/less guessing on the exact pin position.
AggieChemist
AG
Most guys that use that stuff are indoor spot shooters or high level 3D competitors. I have no idea how it would translate to hunting scenarios.

Thankfully, my shots are 30 yards or less so it doesn't come into play.
AgEng06
AG
I don't have any experience with the magnification stuff, but I wonder if a single-pin slider might make things easier for you. It may be better focusing on a single pin rather than picking a pin out of a set of 5?
Qfaced~ag
AG
I know that's typically the case and, like you, most of my shots are under 30. I'd still like to give it a go and see the difference. I'm assuming I'll have to do some tuning and pin gap might change but I'd hate to get into a situation where a bruiser walks out at 40+ and I fling one out there and make a bad shot.
Qfaced~ag
AG
Never considered that but with the season fast approaching and me only able to shoot a couple of times a week max, I'm not sure now is the best time to make a switch.

Might get a backup bow and toy with a single pin throughout the season.
tlfw378
AG
I briefly looked into it for hunting applications. I decided against it quickly when I thought about all the weather issues that would wreck havoc on the lenses. Ask anyone who has to hunt with glasses on. Fog, rain, cold, hot breath and try and fix while not getting busted and timing work out perfectly. Although, I'm hunting from a hang-on stand in Kansas in all the elements. YMMV.
C4D
AG
Put the compound down and learn to shoot traditional.
Problem solved.

Once or twice a year i center punch an animal without even consciously recognizing i drew the bow.

Wish it was always like that.
Qfaced~ag
AG
My brother hunts traditional and I've tried target shooting with his a few times. I was launching arrows all over the place. I'd have better results with a spear.
Qfaced~ag
AG
Yet another problem I didn't consider. Although Texas doesn't present the extreme types of weather conditions Kansas does, I could see anyone of those being a problem at one time or another.
Sean98
AG
I've thought about it, but I think after this season I'm just going to make the move to less sight pins. Maybe a 3pin with the bottom pin as a slider.

For me I notice that I have a LOT more problems during my practice sessions than I do in real hunting situations. Practicing in full daylight, with giant fiber optic wraps (I shoot spot hogg with a full wrap) means I have 7 pins that are glowing like 1000 (or 7) tiny suns and they all want to blur together. When I get in canopy, or lower light I actually have less problems.

Still contemplating the move to a 3-5 pin with a slider after the season however.
DimeBox17
AG
I don't have poor eyesight but I do have a problem focusing while using a multiple pin sight. I switched to a single pin sight two years ago and I love it.
HuntingGMan
AG
I'll start off by letting you know I have no input on magnifying lenses. But I do have some experience with fading vision. I'll also admit that everyone's eyes are different, and the following approach may not work for you.

If you are unable to see clearly at extended distances but can still see very well up close, you might be able to talk to an eye doctor about providing you with a contact lens that will help out. There are some contacts sold that you throw away after one day's use. It might be just the ticket for you.

Measure the distance from your eye to your sight pins when at full draw. It is probably somewhere in the 28 to 32 inch range, depending on you bow setup. Tell the eye doctor that you want to improve your distance vision yet still be able to see clearly at your sight pin distance. In effect, you will be giving up some of your near range vision to regain your distance vision.

Assuming you are shooting a right hand bow, you might consider using the contact only in your right eye when you are hunting. Otherwise, you will be unable to read anything up close while you are on the stand (like the distance scale on the one pin sliding sight if you go that route).

Wearing a contact lens in the field eliminates many of the problems associated with having to wear glasses in bad weather.

Good luck.

C4D
AG
Qfaced~ag said:

My brother hunts traditional and I've tried target shooting with his a few times. I was launching arrows all over the place. I'd have better results with a spear.

Ah man. It just takes practice. A LOT of practice.
Same concept as throwing a baseball. Instinctive.
AggieChemist
AG
I have astigmatism in my right eye and contacts don't work for me NEARLY as well as my lenses. Having said that, I do wear contacts for bowhunting. However, last week while on stand I blinked out my aiming eye contact and couldn't see **** the rest of the day.

I'm considering going back to glasses on stand.
AggielandPoultry
AG
My Dad uses a mag lens on his bow. It works like a champ for him. I think you will be happy with the change, just make sure you get the right powered lens.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
CROSSBOW FTW
AggieChemist
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

CROSSBOW FTW
He asked for opinions from BOW hunters.
Qfaced~ag
AG
AggieChemist said:

Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

CROSSBOW FTW
He asked for opinions from BOW hunters.
Qfaced~ag
AG
AggieChemist said:

I have astigmatism in my right eye and contacts don't work for me NEARLY as well as my lenses. Having said that, I do wear contacts for bowhunting. However, last week while on stand I blinked out my aiming eye contact and couldn't see **** the rest of the day.

I'm considering going back to glasses on stand.
This is what I fear happening...get in the stand, bruiser walks out, piece of dust gets in my eye, start blinking like crazy, contact falls out, bruiser walks off.

I think I'm going to give the one-pin slider a try. The idea of focusing on one point without a bunch of other dots blurring your vision makes sense. Did some research yesterday on them and there's a couple of rubs:

- Micro adjustment can be noisy (not all, but some)
- If you are hunting and the animal moves (not over corn) you have to make adjustments on the fly and it can be a pain (have CO hunt next year and don't want a muley getting away)

It looks like the best (and by far the most expensive) option is to go with a Trophy Taker Option. Has a one-pin and multi-pin in one. Simply flip back and forth.
AggieArcher17
AG
For 90% of deer hunting in Texas the single pin is perfect. Youve got your feed pile or trail at a known distance and the animal comes in. I spot and stalk hogs alot with mine and I've finally settled on just setting my pin at 30 and aiming accordingly. Get a single and learn what your bow does between 20-30-40 and it saves alot of the headache of trying to scroll down to your next mark if the deer walks off. Not unlike shooting a rifle at 200 yards and up
AggielandPoultry
AG
Spot Hogg Hogg father single pin is a nice sight. But I'm a Trad guy.
montanagriz
S
For astigmatism try the gas permeable hard contact lenses rather than soft
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.