Outdoors
Sponsored by

They need volunteer shooters

3,393 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
FirefightAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
8 miles with 60 pound pack and can hit a pie plate at 200yrds. I'm in!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/energy-environment/skilled-shooters-will-help-thin-out-grand-canyon-bison-herds/2017/09/11/5bd9b814-9728-11e7-af6a-6555caaeb8dc_story.html?utm_term=.6ff157c5cb7b
OldCamp
Can't keep the meat or the head or hide?
No thanks.
Kenneth_2003
AG
PineTreeAg said:

Can't keep the meat or the head or hide?
No thanks.
i think worth any of those three that 60lb pack would get substantially heavier.
Lungblood
Buddy sent me this yesterday.

Hunting Bison in the Grand Canyon might be worth the red tape involved but I can't imagine what those "tryouts" are going to look like. Sounds like you still have to draw a tag like any other lottery system.

The article I read said that meat would be split up among shooters with some going to the local Indian tribes.
TommyGun
AG
A former co-worker of mine got drawn for a bison in Grand Teton N.P. He had a park ranger, WY game warden, biologist, and a guy from one of the tribes in the area accompany him. He said it was a little anti-climatic as the biologist had been tracking the bull for a couple of weeks and they were just waiting on it to get to a certain area to shoot it. He had a pretty small window to get up there once he got the call that the bull was close. The actual "hunt" itself was probably over and done within about an hour. Folks from the tribe immediately began skinning and butchering it once it was dead. His only part in it was pulling the trigger on his .270.
raidernarizona
Not to be too cynical, but if the local tribes are going to receive the hides, heads, and a portion of the meat, why don't they let them do the work?
Lungblood

Quote:

A former co-worker of mine got drawn for a bison in Grand Teton N.P. He had a park ranger, WY game warden, biologist, and a guy from one of the tribes in the area accompany him. He said it was a little anti-climatic as the biologist had been tracking the bull for a couple of weeks and they were just waiting on it to get to a certain area to shoot it. He had a pretty small window to get up there once he got the call that the bull was close. The actual "hunt" itself was probably over and done with in about an hour. Folks from the tribe immediately began skinning and butchering it once it was dead. His only part in it was pulling the trigger on his .270.
Ha... I'm officially out. F that.
Chazz03
AG
"shooters" is the key word here.
shaynew1
AG
Lungblood said:

Hunting Bison in the Grand Canyon might be worth the red tape involved

Don't forget about embracing our buffalo killin heritage.
Eliminatus
AG
raidernarizona said:

Not to be too cynical, but if the local tribes are going to receive the hides, heads, and a portion of the meat, why don't they let them do the work?

Obviously never been to the desert reservations. You would know the answer to that immediately.
raidernarizona
Touche
HSEAG13
Eliminatus said:

raidernarizona said:

Obviously never been to the desert reservations. You would know the answer to that immediately.

$$$$
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I interpreted the thread title all wrong
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

why don't they let them do the work?
$$$$

They've been "trained" to know they needn't work in order to "get paid"!

FIFY
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
If I could get people to pay me to do my job for me I would, too.
HDeathstar
I don't think they are Bison. I think all they have in the park is Beefalo. Cow/Bison cross breeds.
Watchful Ag
AG
The only comment I saw ...

Michael Blott
9:41 AM CDT

How did the Bison have sustainable populations before hunting was profitable? Why doesn't birth control meds. ( in food) work on Bison like it works on Deer and Feral Hogs?
WC87
AG
Was kinda hoping this was a thread about looters...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Do they allow dressing in Civil War costume and doing tatonka motions before firing?

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Watchful Ag said:

The only comment I saw ...

Michael Blott
9:41 AM CDT

How did the Bison have sustainable populations before hunting was profitable? Why doesn't birth control meds. ( in food) work on Bison like it works on Deer and Feral Hogs?

Well.. it doesn't...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.