Outdoors
Sponsored by

***** Official 2017-2018 OB Meat Pole Thread *****

23,007 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BurrOak
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SInce seasons are starting across most of the Western states and we have a few OB'ers out there now, I figured we could go ahead and get this going.

Let's use this thread as a central spot to post your hunting successes through the 2017-2018 season. Good luck out there to everyone!

I won't have anything to add until October, unless I manage to get on an early teal hunt.

Sean98
AG
What a freaking tease!

(And a hurtful reminder that I won't be in the field until Friday.)
AgEng06
AG
Oops. I didn't even think about the potential tease. I'm sure we'll have someone punch their tag soon enough though.
Blue Duck
AG

I guess I'll start us off.

AgEng06
AG
Nice. Details such as location, weapon, etc?
Sean98
AG
Really cool looking goat.
NW80
AG
And he scored eighty...... what?
ought1ag
AG
took all this down time from the storm to clean all my guns and even go through all my camo gear. work has been canceled through wed so it looks like I will be stuck on texags and looking for something else to pass the time.....count my hooks, organize my worms alphabetically, etc
Blue Duck
AG

I've been a bit busy today so I didn't have a chance to give a full account for my speed goat. A buddy and I had tags on a ranch near Roy, NM and we headed that way on Friday. We were supposed to be there in time to scout a little bit but travel took longer than I anticipated and we didn't get there till dark. We met the cowboy on the ranch who was gonna show us around that night and decided we'd ride with around with him in the morning to get our bearings.

The cowboy and his 2 kiddos showed up at 5:30 the next morning to give us a tour. Daylight was supposed to be around 6:24, we spotted a whopper of a goat around 6:25 and my season was over at 6:30. I ended up getting a clean look at him from around 180 yards. He had 2 does with him and was about to take off before I smacked him with a 257 wby. The cowboy's kids and I were jumping around like crazy. Sometimes you just get lucky. Apparently riding around with the guy that checks the cattle every day is a quality pronghorn hunting strategy.

He measured out 16 inches and change on both horns and had 5+ inch prongs. I got him scored at 80 2/8 so he might even qualify for the record book.

My buddy tagged out about 30 minutes later so we had some time to kill exploring the place. It's beautiful country out there and we saw a bunch more goats. I shot a ton of them... with a camera.

It was weird to get back from such a happy weekend to see all the wreckage in Houston. It still feels a little weird to even post about something as silly as hunting when so many people are having such a tough time but maybe someone just needs to hear about something else for a second.
cupofjoe04
AG
Awesome goat! Congrats
NW80
AG
Really nice Pronghorn!
Surprised he didn't score higher!
Blue Duck
AG
I'm gonna try and have him scored by an official scorer so I'll be interested to see what they come up with. He's definitely all there!
NW80
AG
Yessir, I'd have shot him!
Really nice buck, especially for NM!
Sean98
AG
I would have shot him too, but I would have needed to get about 125 yards closer first.
NW80
AG
"Twine plucking feather fairy!"
ursusguy
18 USC 3056 Ag
AG
Blue Duck said:

I'm gonna try and have him scored by an official scorer so I'll be interested to see what they come up with. He's definitely all there!

Well played, Blue! Fine looking goat. Hope he makes the record for you!
Fore warned is fore armed.
NRH ag 10
AG

Story here.
shaynew1
AG
Back to back archery elk !!

Sean98
AG
Meat pole from Day 1 of our Nebraska NF hunt.

We should have a couple more Sharpies but we're not legally allowed to have more dove. ...big, beautiful country up here.
FirefightAg
AG
Sean98
AG
Today was an absolute beating. We only saw 5 sharpies all day in almost 15 miles up and down the Sandhills. My dogs are super whipped, my feet hurt, be my calves are killing be. But this one slipped up and stuck around a little too long.
Lungblood
AgEng06
AggieChemist
AG
THWACK
AggieChemist
AG
THWACK AGAIN A SECOND TIME TWENTY MINUTES LATER
AgEng06
AG
Time for the RaTCEV to see some action?
Sean98
AG
AgEng06
AG
Well done, fellas.
AggieChemist
AG
I didn't take any Instagram-worthy artsy fartsy pics like Sean, because my ass was whipped after dragging this nearly 200 lb babymaker up out of the ravine she fell into.

AgEng06
AG
Give those of us sitting at home waiting until October a little more info... broadhead, distance, anything interesting about the shot/recovery,etc.?
AggieChemist
AG
Shot was 9 yards. She came down an old logging road that my stand sits on, followed by a spike. She stopped three yards from me, looked up at me, and then back at him. She turned and they faced each other, her below me 3 yards away, him ten yards down the trail.

They sat there for what seemed like an eternity. Me standing, bow in hand, unable to move because I had two deer on top of me. Eventually, after a staring contest, the spike realized the old doe wasn't going to have any of his nonsense, he turned his back to her and retreated ten yards further. She turned back, angled across below me, and I let a NAP Spitfire MAXX-tipped gold tip XT hunter loose from my 70lb Bowtech Carbon Knight, and watched the green nockturnal disappear at her back rib and blow out the opposite shoulder.

She kicked, started blowing blood, and ran off 20 yards to my left UP HILL TOWARD THE TRUCK and layed down. The dumbass spike took off in hot pursuit and stuck his nose up her ass. She bolted straight up in the air about six feet, flipped hooves up, and fell down a ravine, sliding 40 yards and at least 70 vertical feet down into a crag of rocks.

I just about shot the goddang spike out of rage, but I sat still and calmed down while he puttered around for a while and eventually left. I was considering getting up and commencing the herculean drag that awaited me, but I had four more does working down the trail towards me.

Being a glutton for punishment, I let them come in range, and then managed to find full draw in the presence of not one, not two, but THREE mature does, one of whom had me pegged, but hadn't decided I was a threat yet. I took the 12 yard shot on one old fatty, watched her trot off ten yards with blood running out of her nose and mouth, and then she headed straight down the hill and out of sight. I would later finish the blood trail all the way down at the river where she met her end, probably 200 feet in elevation below.

I spent the rest of the night dragging and cleaning and running around to the processor, finally returning home covered in blood, sweat and briar cuts around 10:30.
AgEng06
AG
Excellent
aTm2004
AG
So, this is why you built the bicycle baby sled thing? Have you ever ridden a bicycle up a hill without a dead animal in tow? It sucks. If you must, may I suggest coating the sled in a non-chloric, silicon-based kitchen lubricant?
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Sean98
AG
My story is not nearly as elegant or manly as AC's. I had to work until 5, but with sunset at 7:37pm I thought I could slip in a quick hunt if I was careful. ...but it's opening day and I'm not NEARLY as organized as I should be. Went home, packed up the Bowbat, threw it and my climbing stand in the truck and headed to the WA. Decided to hunt a little further away because (a) it's loaded with does, (b) it's reasonably close to the truck, & (c) the forecast changed calling for a weird switch to an ENE wind about an hour before dark. En route I realize I left my phone at the house. Oh well, I'm not a millennial, I can survive without my phone for a couple of hours.

Because of the wind from the East I looped way around a little block of timber hoping to avoid any deer that might be poking their head out a little early. I mean it's 86*, so they shouldn't move until last light, right? Wrong. I bump a doe less than 50 yards into my walk. But she's not overly concerned. She bounds away about 20 yards, turns to look at me, and then slowly walks away. I continue on. Right at my stand I bump another doe and her fawn. F me. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. Up the tree I go. This is a new stand for us so I get up the tree and am in the process of organizing things and screwing in my bow hanger when I look over my shoulder and a fawn is standing 15 yards away just looking at me... Not concerned, not scared, just sort of watching. I figure if there's a fawn there must be a doe... so I slip my bow out of the Bowbat, nock an arrow and get it on the hanger so I can begin the process of turning completely around with a deer watching me. Thankfully he's dumb and I do get turned all the way around, get my bow in hand and am ready to roll. I can see mama back in the timber just a bit. I don't think she saw me, but she knew baby deer had so she wouldn't come out. She did that little 2-3 bound "run" back into the timber and then slowly walked off to the East. Oh well, where there is one, there are more...

Fast forward about 10 minutes and those two slip out about 80 yards to my east into a nasty field of sericea. The deer hate that stuff because it's so thick. That's the reason we picked this tree because two sericea patches funnel the deer right in to our tree line. After watching them for about 15 minutes the doe suddenly decides it's time to move. Should be bad news for me because the food is further from me. ...but no, she turns and makes a bee line right for me. I think out of curiosity of "what did baby see over there?" So she comes in straight at me stopping every 10 yards to bob her head and peek around to see what she can see. When she's 25 yards out and directly behind a big limb I draw thinking she's going to swing to my left and up and out into the field. But no. She continues to come straight at me. I'm stuck at full draw for quite a bit before she decides she doesn't like me (I'm guessing she got a sweaty whiff of Sean) and turns to go back into the timber. Bad news babe. She has to cross a 5 yard opening exactly where she first appeared so I know it's 18 yards. She's at a quick walk but I don't stop her. I didn't settle the pin quite as low as I should have, and she ducked just a bit so I hit her a little higher than I would have liked but still very, very dead. She dashes into a thick, nasty hedge tree/bois d'arc filled creek bottom and I hear her crash about 20 seconds later. I consider sticking around to shoot another but then remember I still have to find her, clean her, drag her, drive 30 minutes home, and get her completely boned out before I go to bed because there is no letting her hang overnight.

The blood trail was a total b**ch for the first 40 yards because of the high lung shot and the fact that she ran through crazy underbrush where somehow most of the blood ended up on the bottom sides of the buckbrush leaves. Finally at about 40 yards it was just a leaky paint can trail from that point on. Cleaned, gutted, and getting ready to start the drag when my head lamp gave out. So I went to my backup flashlight. It lasted about 30 yards before it too pooped out. ...but at least I could flip it on, get enough light to figure out 15-20 yards of trail, turn it off, tromp that far, then flip it on again. I could only get about 3-4 seconds of light before it faded, but it was enough to get an idea of where I was headed.

So PSA to the OB. Change the batteries in all your gadgets in your pack because they haven't been changed in a year or more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.