Outdoors
Sponsored by

10 days till dove season!

1,820 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just hope the season is worthy of an exclamation point, considering for this area (Brazos and surrounding counties), 2015 and 2016 were as bad as it can be.
I have observed just enough mourning doves to be mildly optimistic, and the whitewing flights, though nothing like 3-4 yrs ago, are seen on a daily basis. Though the WW's often travel seemingly at 50-75 yds in altitude....adding an additional twist.
One of our very productive locations in the recent past is still almost void of birds, but another spot on a flyway to/from B-CS might be decent...except the mesquites have become so thick, my dog will be critical in finding any downed birds.
But hey, it's almost Sep 1st, time to rejoice, hunting season is upon us!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
DriftwoodAg
AG
I just need to find a place to go around Kyle/Wimberley. With a little one coming in September, I'm not sure I'll be allowed to go much further
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Best time of year!
ToHntortoFsh
Damn you north and central zone azzholes
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
The birds are EVERYWHERE in Eastern Tom Green County. This season should be one for the books.
SWCBonfire
AG
ToHntortoFsh said:

Damn you north and central zone azzholes
cledus6150
AG
I will be hunting just inside San Antonio city limits on opening day, over a huge field that is loaded with birds.
Luisfigo
My unscientific sampling (i.e., sitting in my porch at 7pm) around BCS makes me mildly optimistic too. The last couple of openers were a bust.
gillom
AG
Pretty weak east of Ballinger a few weeks back. Headed up this weekend to disc a couple fields. We'll see what happens.
NW80
AG
Nice little rainstorm brewing for you boys...
DimeBox17
AG
I see hundreds of WW flying through BCS every evening. Then I go to the places I'll be hunting in Lee and Burleson county and see maybe a limit of birds.
Build It
AG
I'll be in Uvalde where we will be covered up in clouds of birds so thick you would think it's night. The food is outstanding and the beer is cold. The Senoritas roll cigars on their virgin thighs while we soak in the hot tub after the evening shoot.

It's almost heaven.

tlh3842
AG
Went to our place in southern Brazos county on Sunday to get a sneak peek. We were there from about 3-6pm cruising the fencelines and only saw 9 mourning and one ring neck.

Hoping for the best come the season...
dr_boogs
AG
Interested in Kelso's scouting report at his place south of BCS. Place is solid: food, roosting trees, water, he's doing a lot of work on it for his customers. just need to know if the area is holding birds.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
gillom said:

Pretty weak east of Ballinger a few weeks back. Headed up this weekend to disc a couple fields. We'll see what happens.
Dang. Bad to hear. Headed out to our place just North and West of Ballinger for the opening weekend.
skelso
AG
Been seeing decent numbers for the area. Still a lot of activity on the harvested corn field adjacent to us. Farmer started harvesting soybeans yesterday and I saw healthy numbers hitting that field yesterday evening.

Like everyone else, I am optomistic. It's looking better than recent past but not like it was years ago.

Right now the rain predicted for this weekend is my biggest concern. While the food plots could sure use it, it will likely push some birds out.
saltydog13
AG
You running Day hunts opening day?
V8Aggie
AG
Cold front ruined my hunt in Dimmit County last year. Hopefully it's good and hot the last weekend of Sept this year.
agfan2013
AG
Buying my license at the new academy in CS tomorrow. I'm also hoping this season is better than the last 2. Got some new batteries for my mojo and need to get a few more for the flock-a-flickers I bought. Anybody else use those? I saw a video from a drone passing over a decoy spread with these things and it looked pretty realistic to me, so I bought the 4 pack for $50. Looks like they can also be used for ducks in a decoy spread in water so I'm hoping to get dual use out of them.
saltydog13
AG
Do yourself a favor and buy it online. Guy at the register didn't even know what a waterfowl stamp was when I bought mine
Luisfigo
Go to TPWD in Wellborn. Bring check or cash. Quick and done right the first time.
skelso
AG
No day hunts opening day. Just the (10) folks who bought the season pass we did this year and the landowner & family.

Sat 9/2 is full (I limit to 20 day hunters a day)
Sun 9/3 I have some open spots.
dodger02
AG
Buying a license online is totally the way to go. Just make sure to add your HIP certification before you checkout.

I look out my office window every day and see a bazillion birds on the power lines.

Drive home and swing by the field I hunt in...not so much. They're around. But, I don't see the flocks of birds that taunt me from 8a-5p.

My FIL doesn't plant as much milo as before. When he did, a limit could be had in a milo field in about 30 minutes...if you're a decent shot.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Never used the flock a flickers, but they look intriguing to me. Seems like they use the same principle as the mojo dove, but in a more portable package.

For duck motion, Oruc Reis turned me on to Wonderducks a couple of years ago and they are sweet when there isn't much wind. I'll probably pick up another one this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.