Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help with A2 fixed front sight

2,352 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CactusThomas
Midland CT 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This might be a dumb question, but I need some help/ clarification. None of my AR's, 6.8 or my .300 BLK have the A2 fixed front sight. I am in the process of building a 5.56 "truck gun" something that is on the cheaper side that I don't necessarily need to worry about keeping it in pristine condition.

First question: I see some A2 sights have disclaimers that they have to be drilled for set screws and taper pins, while others don't mention anything about it. Can I assume that if it does not say one way or the other that the holes are in it? Brownells has a Daniel Defense for $14.99, but clearly states holes are not included. PSA has one for $25.00 but says nothing about having or not having holes. I do not have a drill press, I would assume that I would have a hell of a time adding holes in the sight with just a hand drill?

Second question: I also have a spare 1.75-5x32 Vortex scope sitting in the safe that I was planning on putting on this, but now that I'm thinking of going the fixed front sight route, would I be able to use the scope without the front sight interfering?
Secolobo
AG
It would be cheaper to just buy a barrel and put a longer hand guard on it with folding iron sights. If the scope was a true one power it would be different.
Front sight posts are a pain if not already installed and are not cheap to have someone do it. The front sight base will not have a big impact on your view through the scope at higher power.
Just find a used barrel with front sight base for your truck gun. Sometimes brownell's or palmetto has. Lately palmetto uppers have cost what a regular barrel has been.
Midland CT 05
AG
I already have a barrel that I had sitting around, so I don't plan on buying a new one.
A.G.S.
AG
May be better (easier without all the specialty gunsmithing tools) to get a low profile gas block, then go with a handguard and flip ups or even fixed iron sights like Secobolo said.

A lot of the gas blocks are essentially straight bolt on's, so you'd just have to make sure ya get one with the right ID, and right gas length. No fancy drilling or machining, no press pins, no rivets, etc. Added benefit is ya could get an adjustable block.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm slighty confused on what your question is about the A2 sight, how is the barrel setup right now?
AgEng98
If your barrel us not taper drilled or dimpled for set screw attachment of a traditional A2, Armalite makes a clamp on version. I've had it on my knock-around AR for a few years now and haven't had any complaints.
tlh3842
AG
Why the fixed front sight? If you really like the look that's fine. But cheap flip ups can be just as realiable and less of a pain than installing an A2 sight.

You may be the first person I've ever seen wanting to install a fixed sight, as opposed to removing it.
Midland CT 05
AG
I'm having a hard time finding any aluminum hand guard for less than $75-$100, plus I would still have to buy a flip up front sight for $20-30, that's $100 on the low end $130 on the high. If I can find the fixed front sight ($25) and buy a magpul hand guard that is designed to go around the front sight ($35) that's only $60, almost half. I know it's only $60 or so more but I'm honestly trying to do this as cheap as I can. The more I put in it the more I will want to add here and there and before I know it I'll have a $600 rifle that I won't want to ding up.
OhAggie98
AG
I have a spare A2 sight with the taper pins that I'm willing to give you for the cost of shipping. I took it off a PSA upper that I put a low profile gas block and free float handguard on. If you're interested, I can send you pictures.

Edit: I also have the plastic handguard that came off the upper I'll throw in as well. They're all collecting dust and I'm happy to give to an Ag.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Maybe I missed this but is your rifle cut for the pins? If not, you'll have to get a specific A2 like the previous one mentioned from armalite.

Another option... get a railed gas block then put a flip or fixed front sight on that. In your situation, that's what I'd do as I have a feeling your barrel isn't cut for the pins, though without seeing it, I obviously don't know for sure.
Secolobo
AG
eBay has handguards cheap. Any style.
Mr. Dubi
Clamp on front sight. If you order this, make sure to get the sight parts. No gunsmithing or drilling required.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Clamp on front sight. If you order this, make sure to get the sight parts. No gunsmithing or drilling required.
That's for a pencil barrel, just fyi.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I got an a2 front sight from Fulton Armory for a build that worked fine. It's actually not a clamp on but uses set screws. I was a little leery of the set screws but hasn't moved yet. Fit was tight onto the .750 machined part of my barrel and I put loctite on the bottom part of the mated surfaces (as well as the set screws) for good measure. I believe YHM makes a true clamp-on but I wanted a bayonet lug.
CactusThomas
AG
Set screws work great for low profile gas blocks. The big fixed sights act as a lever arm and I wouldn't trust set screws to prevent it from rotating around the barrel.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.