Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa. With my then barely 9 year old.

4,171 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BradMtn346
BradMtn346
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Africa was a dream of mine since I was 18. That was a long time ago. It took me 21 years to make it come true, but I did.

I asked my wife if she wanted to go, nope. Daughter, nope. 8 year old. Yes! So I went to SCI Vegas looking for options. Long and short of what I learned is that any of the plains game outfitters will bend over backwards to help out a kid. I ended up buying a trip with Uhlenhorst Hunting Safaris out of Namibia.

Fast forward, after 20 plus hours in airports and planes and customs, we arrive in Johannesburg about 7pm local time. We have a hotel for the night and will fly to Namibia in the morning. Johannesburg airport has NOTHING open at 3 in the morning when you wake up.

Next day was an easy flight and drive to Uhlenhorst. Shot the rifles. My son takes after his mom, not his sister. His shooting ability still has a long way to go. Outfitter needed to see what he had to work with.

We had a list of animals in the package. Some where my son's if we could get close enough. Other's were mine.

Kudu was mine and first up. The first morning we glassed this bull from about a mile away.

The next morning we went out in hopes of getting a springbuck for my son. We sat a blind over a water hole. He did me proud.

Literally as we were loading his sprinbuck in the truck we saw a really great blesbuck. Screw his bipod on and...

At this point, dad is feeling left out, so the hunt for gemsbuck starts. We see hundreds. It doesn't take long for me to figure out what we are looking for. "Yes, bull but young. Old, cow. They are about to calve." Cows can have longer horns. Bulls are heavier. When I saw him I knew.

My son's goal was a warthog. It was the only animal he really wanted. Our outfitter had a sure thing spot up north for warthog, but we tried a local spot for a morning because we were ahead of schedule. Sure enough, a shooter came in, on the other side of the concrete sheep tank. My son had about 2 inches of lung above the tank. He smoked him! We saw the blood as he left. Took us a bit to find him, like all high lung shots, not a lot of blood.

One very satisfied 9 year old.

Same 9 year old getting tired of taking pictures

Mountain zebra was next on the list of animals I wanted to hunt, but we had a day before we could go to that property, so we looked around and found an impala I couldn't refuse.

Next day off for mountain zebra, about 3 hours away. Country was a lot different.

We were hunting on a private ranch that boarders the national park set up to ensure the mountain zebras' survival. It has done it's job and they are thick on the Park and many areas around it. This old stallion had been kicked out of the herd. He was going back and forth an a little range of hills. Gave us the slip several times. We were about to quit when we saw him crossing a draw right next to the truck.

This was the most challenging animal we hunted. Kudu are like elk. They spook, they leave the country. Zebra were sneaky.

Here are a few more highlights.

Monitor lizard Hoekus caught to show my son.

Weaver bird nest in the sunset.

Bacon wrapped kudu tenderloin over camel thorn wood fire. Namibian sushi!

My springbuck.

Good beer. Can't get it here.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Amazing opportunity to spend with your son. Once in a lifetime trip with memories that will last a lifetime!!
Jrod05
SECeded
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Amazing trip!
dr_boogs
AG
Awesome thread and photos Brd. Mind me asking what rifle/scope your 9 year old is shooting? I have a 6 year old and will need to get him something he can take whitetail and hogs with in the next couple of years. Have to admit, probably NOT going to make it to an African safari with him by age 9 though!

My plan was to start him with .223 or 6.8 SPC AR-15 but interested in your thoughts. Did you fly with your rifles or rent/use rifles with your outfitter?
BradMtn346
I got him a Ruger American in .223. 64 grain Winchester soft points were the best bullets I could find in a factory load. I was advised that hand loaded bullets could be tricky on international flights.

Our outfitter in Africa hunts everything with a 223. Gemsbuck to Steinbeck.

In hind site, I wish I'd gotten him a 243 or larger, something he could hunt big game here in Colorado. He turned 12 yesterday and we are learning a new rifle so he can hunt elk as soon as he is ready.
BradMtn346
Scope was Leopold VX-II. Yes, we flew with 2 rifles. It was easy, but I paid for good help since it was my first trip and my son was coming.
tx1c
AG
What a trip and report!

It looks like the warthog has a bigger grin than your son.
C4D
AG
Good Bull allowing your kid to take those animals instead of doing it yourself.
I know a lot of guys who love having their kid with them over there but are too selfish with to allow the kid to take any animals.
BlueSmoke
Very cool!
Nobody cares. Work Harder
AZAG08
AG
Well looks like you have ruined your son's hunting life with a trip like that.... but what a way to go out!

Good job on taking the kid-- memories you two will have forever.
What are your taxidermy plans?
Ragoo
AG
I feel like these threads are very much like the reloading workbench....
ConstructionAg01
AG
That is a great post. Thanks for sharing and including some details.
Thunder18
AG
Awesome pics and post
B-1 83
AG
Those are some VERY nice animals.
lotsofhp
AG
Congratulations on a trip of a lifetime spent with your son.

Both of you will remember that forever.
84HartAg
AG
Thanks for posting. Great story.

I was going to ask the same thing about what caliber was your son shooting. I figured it would have to be a bigger caliber for some of those animals.

I started all of my boys out with a .222 Remington Mohawk 600. Very short, great shooting gun. But after a year or 2, I move them on up to a bigger caliber, like a 22-250, .257 Roberts, .243, and eventually a .270.

I like a .223 better than a .222, but this little Mohawk has been passed around for almost every kid or new hunter in the family to kill their first deer with. I think this little gun is getting pretty close to claiming 10 beginning hunter's first whitetail.
84HartAg
AG
Sorry, I didn't think it posted the first time.
reveille23
Started all 3 of my boys on an old Savage .222 with an ancient 4X Leupold on it. Two of the 3 boys have taken their first deer with that little tack driver. Great gun to start them out with as long as you limit the distance.

Next step up was a 6mm Remington, and now shooting a .270.
GottaRide
S
Remington Mohawk 600 is a great gun in a few different calibers.
FIDO 96
AG
Awesome job parenting. Is it true, the true expense of Africa trip is not the travel, lodging and guide service, it's the taxidermy and shipping fees.
matthewj042
BradMtn346
I had the taxidermy done over there. I went to the shop and saw their operation before deciding. It isn't Jonas Brothers, but it looks fine. Saved about $3500 over doing it here.
AZAG08
AG
I look forward to seeing the pics when you get them back
Duck Blind
AG
Memories that'll last a lifetime. That's freaking awesome... Congrats!

How are you going to top that for your little man?
FSGuide
Awesome Brad!

I've been obsessed with African animals of all kinds since I was a little kid. For my 50th Bday in 2020 I'm taking the wife & my 3 kids to South Africa for my/our first safari. My son will be 13 then and my daughters will be 12 & 9. The place we picked is near the southeast coast. It's gonna be so great!!
BradMtn346
Our trip was 3 years ago next week. We are getting ready for his first big game hunt here, so I got nostalgic.

Taxidermy:

For some reason the wife didn't want this one in the living room.

ursusguy
AG
Looks like a happy smile, so over the front door seems like a nice location.
carpe vinum
AG
ursusguy said:

Looks like a happy smile, so over the front door seems like a nice location.
I bet it hangs in the downstairs bathroom.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
SteveBott
AG
Hang the hog over the boys bed. Mom should be thrilled
sunchaser
AG
Thanks for sharing......
B-1 83
AG
I'll be going for my third trip in a couple of years. I need to finish my springbok slam with the Kalahari, then add a Nyla's and red lechewe.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
awesome
Sean98
AG
BradMtn346 said:

I had the taxidermy done over there. I went to the shop and saw their operation before deciding. It isn't Jonas Brothers, but it looks fine. Saved about $3500 over doing it here.

They sing AND do taxidermy?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.