Outdoors
Sponsored by

uhaul trucks are outdoors

3,801 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there any bigger kick in the nuts than spending a weekend moving? But not actually moving to our final destination. We are moving into storage to live with family until our house is done. Sorry for the rant needed to vent
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Moving in August. Nice.
jtp01
AG
The last 2 times I have moved, my employer at the time paid for the move. Move was about 130 miles each time and cost was just over $2,500 to do it. All we did was box everything up and they did the rest. Any time I move again I will hire movers. I'm a DIY kind of person but moving is something I will pay them to do. They can do it in a few hours and you are done.
GeronimoAg
AG
I feel your pain. We did the same thing a few years back. Loading up the uhaul in Houston to take it to the storage unit in New Braunfels so we could move in with my inlaws.

Only half way through packing we got a call from the real estate agent that the buyers for our house in Houston were backing out of the contract. Made for a fun day of loading the truck and a great 3 hour drive down I-10.

Hope it goes smoothly and that this move is getting you closer to where you want to be.

zooguy96
I no longer move myself, even though I'm lolpoor. I pay for movers. And I've moved more in the last 10 years than anyone on Texags.

Pay for movers, move on with your life, and it's all good.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Salt of the water
AG
I'm very DIY but movers and painters are definitely something I'll pay for.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Moving daughter into Aggieland dorm today.
Gig 'em! '90
bigfoot10s
AG
Just did the same thing this summer. Moved out of the house and into storage at the end of May. Moved all of the junk out of storage and to San Antonio in July. No fun
Wodanaz
AG
Doing the same next weekend. Staying with the MIL for a month. Wouldn't be as bad if her other 2 30yo kids also didn't live there. 7 adults & 2 dogs in a 1500' house is gonna blow. Oh, and no cable to escape into football bliss.
Post removed:
by user
big ben
AG
Moved 8 times in the past 8 years, I pay for movers everytime.
Walter Kovacs
AG
Moved 4 times in 4 years with a household's worth of crap. No movers. I'm good for a few decades.
zooguy96
Let's be honest, most of the "crap" is the wive's crap. Cause it sure aint mine.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
VoreMoar12 said:

Doing the same next weekend. Staying with the MIL for a month. Wouldn't be as bad if her other 2 30yo kids also didn't live there. 7 adults & 2 dogs in a 1500' house is gonna blow. Oh, and no cable to escape into football bliss.
Don't be a cheapskate. Pony up for cable, put it in her name, pay a couple months up front, then it is their problem once you are gone.
dubi
AG
Sasappis said:

VoreMoar12 said:

That sounds like very poor planning.
Sounds insane!
AgBQ-00
AG
Still not fully done. But just random stuff left will get that after work today. But I'm here at work. Was able to find my tooth brush and some work clothes. Have no idea where my belt, comb, or work shoes are. I look like a train wreck.
water turkey
My next move will be in a pine box....,
BlueSmoke
Been there. Done that. Put our old house on the market coming on four years ago in preparation for a new build. Hadn't realized the markets turned so quickly, received asking price the first day it was listed. This was in July.

Moved most of the stuff into a storage unit. Then the bigger pieces we used movers for our temporary apartment we lived in for 6 months while the house was being built. Then had to move again from the apartment to the new house + all the crap in storage. Good times.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Sheesh. Including OFFICE moves (one place I just worked there; others were my firm), I've still only moved 5 times in 20 years. However, I agree with hiring movers. Just supervise them. Pre-wrap anything you're afraid they'll scratch up.

Incremental moves aren't THAT terrible. Gives you the opportunity to fix or update a part of the new house before you get everything moved in.
S.A. Aggie
AG
We started to go with U-Haul but found the prices to be much much cheaper with Penske.
zooguy96
Penske sucks. The 3 times I've used Penske (1 personal, I driving my moms stuff, 1 driving SIL's truck), 2 of the trucks broke down. Took them 4-6 hours to tow me.

Never again. Always pay movers.
Oogway
Wow, we had the opposite experience with Penske, but that was quite awhile back so maybe some of the fleet needs replacing. On some of our more recent moves, we used the type where we pack and the movers load, move and then unload. That worked well for us.
big ben
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Sheesh. Including OFFICE moves (one place I just worked there; others were my firm), I've still only moved 5 times in 20 years. However, I agree with hiring movers. Just supervise them. Pre-wrap anything you're afraid they'll scratch up.

Incremental moves aren't THAT terrible. Gives you the opportunity to fix or update a part of the new house before you get everything moved in.

I'm in construction and no kiddos
Kenneth_2003
AG
Got laid off in January. I say tight in beeville while furiously looking for work. Accepted an offer in Tomball Tuesday before last. I made tattoo trips to my parents last week, and started work last Monday. Now I'm in Toyah for the next 2-3 weeks. Still have all furniture and sit 1/2 my boxable stuff in Beeville. Timing of our next job means i might not be back to Tomball for over a month.

I feel your pain.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Getting ready to move to midland in the next couple weeks, has anyone ever used the uhaul movers they offer on the website?

Thinking about hiring movers to empty storage unit then load the trailers truck I rent, then drive the truck to midland, then having movers local to there unload it at the apartment.
UnderoosAg
AG
My last move was from an apartment of about 7 years to a house. Everything in that apartment had to go thru an interview process to make the move. A whole lotta **** ended up living in Waste Management Heights. A few truckloads with work for beer friends and it was done.

TLDR - Moving across the state sucks.

However, there was a dark time. It's a story still told 'round campfires. A defining moment in one's life where relationships are tested, bonds are formed, and solemn promises are made.

My dad retired, and my parents bought a new house in SA. Old house sold quick and they had to git. Brother and I flew to El Paso on a Thursday night. Plan was to load Friday, leave early Saturday, arrive Saturday evening, and unload into storage Sunday.

Strike 1.

Parents had "help" packing.

Strike 2.

Everything was getting, notice I said getting, not got, getting packed like an afternoon gonna-have-sex-under-a-tree-instead-of-eating-dog-pissed-on-sandwiches picnic basket. Boxes, the ones that were packed anyway, were halfway full at best. They all had "breakable" stuff on top, you know, so it wouldn't break. Like how you put bread on top of grocery bags.

Every. Last. One.

Uh, so how the F do we stack these?

*crickets*

Bless their hearts, they were trying to help, even though no one involved had moved in less than 27 years. Friday turned into a mad dash to pack a 3 bedroom house and two tool sheds into a pair of big ass We-Hauls.

Finished late Friday and left El Paso about 10:00 am Saturday. I'm in the old uhaul, my brother's in the new one, my parents and my aunt (who has Down's syndrome) are in my dad's truck. We couldn't align bathroom breaks for ****. Trucking along at 53 and a half miles an hour for 550 miles cringing every time I saw a gas station or reststop. At one point I peed in a Dr Pepper bottle for fear of another mini roadside vacation tour. It sucked, but at least the AC froze up in my 5hithaul so I got to ride with the windows down. In late July.

We got to my brother's house at 2:30am Sunday. 14 hours to go 550 miles. Then the neighbor's daughter's dbag boyfriend was parked in front of my brother's house. We had to loop around a couple times to get everyone parked. That's when the cop rolled thru wondering why two moving trucks were creeping at 230am. He was cool about it, but ran the plates and licenses, and I'm glad they actually patrol the neighborhood. He even offered to roll past every hour or so to check on the trucks overnight.

We started unloading at the crack of noon later that day. We all swore right then, pine boxes or nothing, none of us were ever doing that again.

mpl35
AG
I refuse to use movers. I know multiple people that have had stuff lost (1/3 of the boxes), stolen (expensive items), or broken (multiple items). Last move was paid for. I took reimbursement for truck and a few other expenses but packed, loaded, and drove myself. I can suck up a few days of hell to get all my stuff Moved in good shape.
Eliminatus
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Moving daughter into Aggieland dorm today.
Does she need any more help moving into her dorm???
Snake
AG
Pay for movers AND packers
will.mcg
AG
After you live without the majority of your belongings for about a month you will have a newfound freedom. My wife & I got ride of so much crap when we unpacked our storage unit when we were in the same situation.
AggieChemist
AG
I moved from TX to WV on August 15-16, 2003.

It had to be 110 as we left TX. I distinctly remember that it was gloriously cool in WV, something like 92 as the moving guys were unloading at our new house. I sat on the deck, beer in hand, and told the moving guys that at least they had a nice cool day to unload all my ish. They just gave me nasty looks.

Turns out, it was the hottest day of the summer.

I still feel a little bad about that.

But just a little.
zooguy96
AggieChemist said:

I moved from TX to WV on August 15-16, 2003.

It had to be 110 as we left TX. I distinctly remember that it was gloriously cool in WV, something like 92 as the moving guys were unloading at our new house. I sat on the deck, beer in hand, and told the moving guys that at least they had a nice cool day to unload all my ish. They just gave me nasty looks.

Turns out, it was the hottest day of the summer.

I still feel a little bad about that.

But just a little.
Yeah, people around here think its hot above 80 and complain when its above 90. I'm like.. really?

I moved from TN back to TX is 2011. The infamous 2011. I was driving in around the beginning of June during the fires seeing things burn. I was thinking at that point.. dumb move. It was above 100 for 71 straight days.

Moved back to TN in 2015. I think the hottest day we've had this summer was 94. Mostly in the 80's. This week (sans today) in the low 80's.

Yeah, I aint complaining.
Yesterday
AG
I don't even help friends move. I tell them they can have $50 to throw at a moving company but I ain't doing that crap anymore.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Had you asked this Sunday afternoon I probably would have agreed to you hauling her stuff to her floor. Fourth floor. Note I said floor and not room.
Gig 'em! '90
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.