Outdoors
Sponsored by

Eclipse: What's the big deal?

13,876 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dubi
Blahhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems like people are losing their damn minds over this and I can't fathom why. Are you one of the people who think this is the greatest thing ever? If so, why? Maybe I am in the minority, but who cares?
AggieChemist
AG
Because last time there I remember seeing one I was a little kid.
Sean98
AG
I don't know. I'll tell you Monday night.

I like things that are rare, or at least rate for me to get to witness. Total eclipse, non disappointing Aggie football seasons, sage grouse hunting, etc.

Plus, I love less than an hour from totality. I doubt I would travel across the country to see it.
arrow
AG
Sean, any feelings yet if rural northeast Kansas is going to be overrun on Monday? My uncle and I are planning on driving up to tomorrow night to work on tree stands and our hunting house. We are using the eclipse as an excuse to go...or maybe we are using tress stands as an excuse to see the eclipse. Our likely plan is to wake-up Monday morning and just go find a back road. Thoughts?
Sean98
AG
That's my plan too. I'm in Denver now, so unsure. Campgrounds are stuffed full, but don't think we're seeing the traffic like the West coast.

Talking to local PDs sand KHP they really don't know what to expect. They're preparing for the worst and treating it like a impending winter storm in many ways.

I think the closer to Hiawatha/MO border you get the more crowded/hot mess it's likely to be.
chickencoupe16
AG
Considering that my flight leaves for Atlanta tonight, I suppose I've lost my damn mind. My mom was always Interested in stars and meteor showers and similar things. She often loaded the family up in the truck with a bunch of blankets and pillows so we could go watch a meteor shower late at night.

I don't know if the solar eclipse will be all that I hope it will be, but I've always wanted to see one. I know they happen fairly often, but not close to home. Plus, with this being my first year out of college I finally have money to travel. Who knows if I'll ever be able to see one again. And, yes, I know there is one happening in Texas in a few years, but tomorrow is never a guarantee.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
My give a **** meter is reading pretty low on this one.
fourth deck
AG
Here in upstate SC things don't seem to be crazy...yet. Now that the forecast for Monday is sunny I suspect we will get slammed hard. Once the eclipse is over at 2:40 pm, that's when the real fun begins.
schmellba99
AG
If it was closer, I'd definitely make plans to see it. I think something like this is cool, and evidently a lot of others do. But since I live on the coast in Texas...yeah, not going to travel halfway across the country and will have to wait until 2024 or whenever it hits Texas.

That being said - I'd much rather see people lose their damned minds over something like this, which is really kind of neat when you think about all of the moving parts in the universe that have to happen for things to line up just right - than losing their damned minds over statues of people they know nothing about or arguing over which group of *******s was the wrong *******s during a riot between two groups of *******s.
agfan2013
AG
It's a cool space event that doesn't happen very often, what more needs to be said?

If it's not your cup of tea, don't worry about it. Different people have different interests. I think it's pretty cool and will try to make it to the path of totality in 2024.
JSKolache
AG
It's more rare than Pappy, duh.
18 USC 3056 Ag
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

My give a **** meter is reading pretty low on this one.

This.

Fore warned is fore armed.
Bregxit
AG
Quote:

18 USC 3056
You Secret Service?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Some men just want to see the world burn with nationwide cloud cover
Aggies Revenge
AG
arrow said:

Sean, any feelings yet if rural northeast Kansas is going to be overrun on Monday? My uncle and I are planning on driving up to tomorrow night to work on tree stands and our hunting house. We are using the eclipse as an excuse to go...or maybe we are using tress stands as an excuse to see the eclipse. Our likely plan is to wake-up Monday morning and just go find a back road. Thoughts?

Signs along I-70 by Junction and Manhattan are calling for heavy traffic with reduced speeds. Lots of people I know are planning on heading up to Marysville and Beatrice to get the full 100%
Cromagnum
AG
Doesn't matter, it will be fully overcast when it happens so it won't be visible anyways.
arrow
AG
Thanks for the Kansas info. The weather forecast for Monday could come into play...

As for "Why?" and "Who cares?". I'm the guy who sets up a spotting scope every chance I get to look at Saturn's rings. Something about walking out to my front porch, looking up at the sky and seeing the rings a Saturn puts the world in a very different perspective for me. So far, not one person I've shared a Saturn viewing with or counted Jupiter's moons with has said "meh, who cares". It typically leads to a fun conversation. But yeah, I'm a nerd.
tamc1956ag
S
All human sacrifices will discontinue following the Eclipse.
FIDO 96
AG
What time should I look out my window on Monday (DFW)?
PANHANDLE10
So the map says I'm in the 80% range. Can I look right at it? Are my eyes really going to pop out of my head? Or is someone just trying to sell me some glasses?
CactusThomas
AG
I saw the last one. Really not worth checking out.
Just my opinion.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
It's an amazing and rare sight.

If you're not religious then it's an awesome chance to view a solar event that is only the result of some pretty impressive coincidences.

If you're a religious man then those same long odds should give you an awesome feeling that all of this had a pretty ingenious Creator.

Now I'm not saying I'm going to drive across country to watch but I'm sure as hell going to be outside and will make sure my kids are as well. Hating on this just seems like "old man yells at clouds".
CactusThomas
AG
There is a reason hippies go ape **** for this and regular working folk don't even know about it.
IDAGG
AG
PANHANDLE10 said:

So the map says I'm in the 80% range. Can I look right at it? Are my eyes really going to pop out of my head? Or is someone just trying to sell me some glasses?
You can only look at it without eclipse glasses during the total eclipse portion (if you are in zone of totality). If you are not in the totality zone, or if you are in the zone and the moon is not fully covering the sun yet, then you must wear the glasses when looking at the sun.
ironmanag
AG
dlance said:

Quote:

18 USC 3056
You Secret Service?

Its a secret..
fightingfarmer09
Southwest is going to provide special routes on certain flights to maximize viewing.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Southwest-Stories/Solar-Eclipse-from-the-Heart-Southwest-Offers-Celestial-Chasers/ba-p/59589
bmc13
AG
CactusThomas said:

There is a reason hippies go ape **** for this and regular working folk don't even know about it.

tons of regular working folk are going nuts for this.
DallasAggies01
AG
From what I've read it's no worse than looking at the sun on a normal day. Which you're not supposed to do anyway.
aggieband 83
AG
The eclipse 7 years from now will track over central Texas. Thats close enough to drive and watch.
rather be fishing
AG
Just got back from Idaho. A B&B we stayed at said they didn't know what was going on a year ago when people called to book rooms and then a couple months later crappier places were charging upwards of $700/night.

It's a big deal to some people. I'd almost pay that much to have highs in the low 80s again.
MouthBQ98
AG
A #13 or #14 welding glass or two layers of 12 will work.
Bregxit
AG
PANHANDLE10 said:

Explanation of how it damages your eyes in a great Scottish accent.

Bregxit
AG
CactusThomas said:

One of the most idiotic posts ever on the OB.
FTAG 2000
AG
In 2024 it will track up I35. No treking to BFE northwest required.
Sean98
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

From what I've read it's no worse than looking at the sun on a normal day. Which you're not supposed to do anyway.
The issue is on a normal day the sun is so bright you can't stare right at it for a extended period of time. With the 80% blockage you'll be able to start at long enough to do serious damage.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.